Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-30-2018, 08:18 AM

Default Chambering A Round

I'm having an issue with an inherited Smith and Wesson 1500. When I cycle the bolt to chamber a round, the rifle jams virtually every time. It appears as if two shells compete to get into the chamber.

Anyone else have this problem? Not many may have this rifle, but its the same as a Weatherby Vanguard or a Howa (same action).

Not my primary rifle but I don't like walking around with a chambered round and don't want to top-load in a hurry if I can help that.

Thanks.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 AM

The bolt is picking up two rounds?
Old 06-30-2018, 08:28 AM

Check the feed lips my guess is they are spread out a tad bit to much. IIRC this is a push feed action but I don't remember if it's stacked or double stacked? Work the action very slowly with two dummy rounds in the mag and watch for issues. The follower could be tipping the round up too much as well or possibly there's an issue with the feed ramp.
With a push feed the round should pop completely out of the blind mag and into the action raceway about half way before its all the way into the chamber. Hope this helps some. Feed lips can be bent inward a bit if thats your issue
Old 06-30-2018, 03:47 PM

Default what caliber?

Should be the same as the earlier Howa 1500/Mossberg 1500 mag well altered ,weak spring/stored loaded......wrong follower etc
Old 07-01-2018, 08:49 AM

Default S&w 1500

There was a recall on the bolt on those rifles as well.
https://www.recallrtr.com/Howa/
Old 07-01-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
I'm having an issue with an inherited Smith and Wesson 1500. When I cycle the bolt to chamber a round, the rifle jams virtually every time. It appears as if two shells compete to get into the chamber.

Anyone else have this problem? Not many may have this rifle, but its the same as a Weatherby Vanguard or a Howa (same action).

Not my primary rifle but I don't like walking around with a chambered round and don't want to top-load in a hurry if I can help that.

Thanks.
Unless you really know your way around guns this is not an easy fix. Take it to a good smith and have it fixed right. There is nothing more annoying than a gun that won't feed reliably. In my world they either get fixed to be 100% reliable or they go down the road. There are too many places where a bad feeding rifle can really mess you up.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Check the feed lips my guess is they are spread out a tad bit to much. IIRC this is a push feed action but I don't remember if it's stacked or double stacked? Work the action very slowly with two dummy rounds in the mag and watch for issues. The follower could be tipping the round up too much as well or possibly there's an issue with the feed ramp.
With a push feed the round should pop completely out of the blind mag and into the action raceway about half way before its all the way into the chamber. Hope this helps some. Feed lips can be bent inward a bit if thats your issue
Thanks for the advice - I tried a slow bolt cycle and this seems to feed a round about half the time, the other half two rounds fight to be chambered. An aggressive, real-life cycle always seems to have an issue.

Does anyone have experience with ADAPTIVE TECHNOLOGIES INC aftermarket magazine kits? Prophet River sells them and I've been thinking of this as a fix. These are $145 and I'm thinking a gunsmith's time will be more than that to get the existing setup cycling consistently.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:06 AM

Usually a simple fix Replace the magazine spring and check magazine box to see if it has been bent out of shape
Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Do you have a spare mag that you can load dummy rounds into and cycle the action? This could help to determine where the problem lies.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Usually a simple fix Replace the magazine spring and check magazine box to see if it has been bent out of shape
This^^^ and doesn't cost $145 bucks.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.