Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Banned

Default Code red

Be careful out there, my son just text me and Edmonton just went on Code Red......no ambulances available.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Be careful out there, my son just text me and Edmonton just went on Code Red......no ambulances available.
Any specific reason for this?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

Not hard to imagine as to why. New Years, cold weather, slick roads, all leading to backlogs with hospitals and emergency services. I can only see it getting worse as the nights goes on.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Not hard to imagine as to why. New Years, cold weather, slick roads, all leading to backlogs with hospitals and emergency services. I can only see it getting worse as the nights goes on.
So no reason in particular other then New Year’s Eve?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

And the extreme cold and the very slick roads and.......
Any number of things will be contributing factors. Pretty hard to narrow it down to one thing.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

So what exactly is a code red? There is varying definitions online but none seem to coincide with what the op is saying “mass casualties, child abductions, terrorist attacks, bomb threats” but no mention of cold icy roads, please advise
Old 12-31-2017, 08:24 PM

Don't see anything online. Anyone have a link confirming?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

Nothing on AHS
Old 12-31-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Nothing exciting here. Happens all the time. The system sucks to be honest. No reason it should take an ambulance 3 hrs to drop a patient off and that is the main reason it happens.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Confirming......
Old 12-31-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Nothing exciting here. Happens all the time. The system sucks to be honest. No reason it should take an ambulance 3 hrs to drop a patient off and that is the main reason it happens.
This.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Confirming......
Probably over by now - as soon as one ambulance is cleared from the emergency room they will be good to go.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:38 PM

From what I understand is that the ambulance personnel (all of them) cannot leave the hospital until the patient they brought in is admitted and in one of the observation rooms! Then they can go pick up their assignment. If there's a line up; tough luck! They wait!
Old 12-31-2017, 08:41 PM

About 4 1/2 years ago I was in Edmonton for a couple of months for treatment at the Cross Clinic. About the third nite I had some heart problems, so a neighbor lady called for an ambulance. She was told there were none available....but within minutes a Fire Rescue truck arrived, and they had barely started to talk to me when an ambulance arrived. So I guess those guys are always there as a backup.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I don't think this is anything that makes the public in general. Do we hear about every time they call a code white in the hospital?

They have code red in nearly every rural area of the province whenever an ambulance gets called - there is only one so if you are in a rural area and plan to have a heart attack or any other serious accident you better check that someone else hasn't beat you to it already

Meanwhile the major urban areas can keep crying about the lack of 8 min. ambulance response times with full paramedic staff.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

This is going to happen more and more. Really it already is. I wonder in 20 years. Getting any sort of medical care will be impossible. Does anybody else get concerned about this? As our population incresases and health care services dont expand somethings got to give.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

Are ambulances private contractors these days? Just curious because I've heard of people getting $400 bills for a ambulalance ride.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Are ambulances private contractors these days? Just curious because I've heard of people getting $400 bills for a ambulalance ride.
Yes i have. I had to take a ride shortly after I started a new job. Benefits had not kicked in. Cost $380 for a 2 km trip. Still. Glad they were there
Old 12-31-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
If you don't have extra health coverage you will have to pay for ambulance. Same as fire trucks - if you don't have fire insurance......
Old 12-31-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
About 4 1/2 years ago I was in Edmonton for a couple of months for treatment at the Cross Clinic. About the third nite I had some heart problems, so a neighbor lady called for an ambulance. She was told there were none available....but within minutes a Fire Rescue truck arrived, and they had barely started to talk to me when an ambulance arrived. So I guess those guys are always there as a backup.
Fire is actually there before an Ambulance on most calls. I think the stats are 67% but I could be wrong.
They will do almost anything an ambulance can but the main thing they can't do is give the drugs other than Naloxone.
A duel system like in Edmonton is the best care you can have. Fire has more stations and is usually closer to a lot of calls and if not available the next station will pick up the call which will be a few more min. away.

On a major call like a code the main Ambulance will be dispatched and usually a PRU fast response supervisor and then another ambulance.
I find a Min. of 5 people on a code call is best and there is a lot of work to do. It takes a team effort to get the job done to give the best service and chance for the PT. to suvive
Old 12-31-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
From what I understand is that the ambulance personnel (all of them) cannot leave the hospital until the patient they brought in is admitted and in one of the observation rooms! Then they can go pick up their assignment. If there's a line up; tough luck! They wait!
Yes, this has been my experience too. I needed an ambulance last year and the ambulance EMT did tell me they have to stay until patient is admitted to observation. I kept telling them to go but they had to stay acting as medics as required. About 1.5 hours of idle time in my case.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-31-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
It's more like $580 or more. If you can't pay it then the tax payer picks up the tab....
You can't turn down Patients either if they want to go to the hospital.
Lots of stories of certain types of people that want a ride across town and use it as a taxi service.... what can you do?
Then the tax payer picks up the tab for it....
Old 12-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Fire is actually there before an Ambulance on most calls. I think the stats are 67% but I could be wrong.
They will do almost anything an ambulance can but the main thing they can't do is give the drugs other than Naloxone.
A duel system like in Edmonton is the best care you can have. Fire has more stations and is usually closer to a lot of calls and if not available the next station will pick up the call which will be a few more min. away.

On a major call like a code the main Ambulance will be dispatched and usually a PRU fast response supervisor and then another ambulance.
I find a Min. of 5 people on a code call is best and there is a lot of work to do. It takes a team effort to get the job done to give the best service and chance for the PT. to suvive
Nube Ill assume you are an EMT? If so, id like to say thanks. You guys are amazing
Old 12-31-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
If you don't have extra health coverage you will have to pay for ambulance. Same as fire trucks - if you don't have fire insurance......
Fire is always free. Never does anyone get charged by Fire Suppression.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
Nube Ill assume you are an EMT? If so, id like to say thanks. You guys are amazing
Nope not at all.
Edmonton Fire Dept.
All Emergency staff need a pat on the back for a lot of stuff they get to deal with. It's a bitter sweet job. Got it's good and bad. Medics have it pretty bad and burn out rate is pretty high. I wouldn't ever push a young person in going that route in a big city. Most last about 8-10 years I find.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's more like $580 or more. If you can't pay it then the tax payer picks up the tab....
You can't turn down Patients either if they want to go to the hospital.
Lots of stories of certain types of people that want a ride across town and use it as a taxi service.... what can you do?
Then the tax payer picks up the tab for it....
Thanks. Are their services contracted?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope not at all.
Edmonton Fire Dept.
All Emergency staff need a pat on the back for a lot of stuff they get to deal with. It's a bitter sweet job. Got it's good and bad. Medics have it pretty bad and burn out rate is pretty high. I wouldn't ever push a young person in going that route in a big city. Most last about 8-10 years I find.
X2
All first responders are rare breeds. You dont know how important they are until you need one. Thank you. Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

I believe Lethbridge has the only ambulance service in AB that is not AHS.

Runs much more efficiently from what I understand.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Fire is always free. Never does anyone get charged by Fire Suppression.
When someone called the fire dept. to my place they sent me a bill for over $1000.
Heard of another fellow who got a bill of over $4000.

Maybe the difference of the major urban centre vs. rural volunteer dept.?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
When someone called the fire dept. to my place they sent me a bill for over $1000.
Heard of another fellow who got a bill of over $4000.

Maybe the difference of the major urban centre vs. rural volunteer dept.?
Most likely yes. I am just talking what I know in Edmonton.
The actual fire fighters will not ticket anyone. Fire prevention is in charge of any tickets and it happens from non compliance to fire codes and multiple false alarm nuisance calls that keep coming from the same place all the time and not trying to fix the issue. They work with you in most cases and are not like police that are out to get you and want to ticket everyone.
I suspect if you are getting $1000 or $4000 fines you are doing something pretty wrong and not trying to work with them but maybe a rural setting they are just out to get a few more dollars in the coffers more so than try and make things right but who knows.