Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 01:26 AM

Default Gout....

So I’m spending my weekend trying to deal with the crippling pain caused by chronic gout that I have been fighting for the last two months or so.
I’ve been to a rheumatologist and thought I was getting it under control with pills. Of course the pills upset my guts terribly. 🙄

Anyone else live with this curse?

I’d love to hear some real world solutions.

If you’ve never had it, you have no idea how debilitating it really can be.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:50 AM

Two months of gout sounds like it may be triggered by medications. Any chance you are on any medications that are diuretics?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:05 AM

Keep very well hydrated. Limit alcohol. Watch your red meat consumption. Figure out your trigger and avoid it. For me, it is usually a good steak and a couple yeasty home brew beers that set me off.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:47 AM

A lot of guys here on AO have shared their opinions.... Gout is horrible..
Get well soon....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=gout&page=2

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 AM

About 10 years ago I had gout attacks all the time, but I was single and ste out all the time which didnt help, and missed my meds often.

Now i still eat meat but a ton of veggies and water to help out, and have t had an issue since 2014.

Was given Allopurinol to keep it at bay and colchicene (spelling may be off) for when it occured to get rid of it fairly quickly. The Colch would give you the runs pretty bad but worked.

Some people are obviously worse than others but a diet change helped me 100% and I cut the booze out by 99% too. Like you said was just too painful too keep on the same path. Keep on the meds and hopefully after a time it will start to go away like it did for me..as I am no pure vegetarian (have the name heavy for a reason).

I assume you have a food guide to follow to try and limit the gout triggers?
Old 12-09-2018, 08:16 AM

CBD oil will relieve the pain and reduce the inflammation.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:24 AM

I've had it several times. Each more painful than the last.
It typically happens to me when I am not diligent with water intake. I can drink beer and eat meat to my hearts content, as long as I don't let myself get too dehydrated. A couple glasses of water here and there and I manage to stave it off.

If I am already suffering an attack, I slam buckets of water - and it usually clears up within the day. My brother likes cherry juice, and swears by it.

Gout is the worst. You lucky people who haven't' had it... count your blessings!
Old 12-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Lots of water works for me.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:13 AM

I thought I had a sprained ankle for a few months then I finally went to see a doctor. He asked me if I had Gout seen as my grandfather suffered from it after eating tomatoes and it affected my father from eating rich foods it was possible I’d did as well. Stress is what brings it on for myself so trying to keep an even keel helps and as others said keep water intake up. I’m luckier then then because it doesn’t affect me as often.

Man the pills prescribed for gout make a guy feel awful.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:32 AM

I had to totally give up beer. Havnt had one in 4-5yrs now.
I eat a lot of red meat and seafood. But for some reason beer triggered it for me.
Now that I have cut beer out of my diet, I get an attack every 3-4 months. I can usually control it with colchicene, I can usually tell when its coming.
Allopurinol didnt do anything for me except bad head aches.
Like everyone else has said drink LOTS of water.
Good luck, I wouldnt wish gout on my worst enemy
Old 12-09-2018, 09:42 AM

Gout is one very bad ailment. Finding the trigger can be tough. I still haven’t figured mine out yet. Been keeping a close eye on my diet, slowly adding potential culprits. Plus there’s things that I used to eat that Ive eliminated altogether as I’ve felt it’s not worth the pain to even figure if those are triggers or not.

These days I drink lots of water and never leave home without some Indomethacin just in case.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:43 AM

Like a couple others on here, I had it and then figured out what triggered it.
For me it was nitrates/cure, I cut out processed meats and never had an attack in 3 years.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:49 AM

My worst was on a 3 week vacation to Portugal in 2012. Over 2 weeks with both feet blown out and unable to wear shoes. Had to hike up a few km up to an old castle on uneven ground, Each footstep like stepping on a bed of nails.
Mostly I sat in the vehicle while our group of friends explored all day.

I have a colchicine ritual I go through at first sign of an issue, but as stated, dilution is helpful -float those crystals out

Last edited by omega50; 12-09-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 AM

You are talking with a person who has suffered with gout for years and since I have drank lots of water have never had a problem. I have had a Colchicine .6mg and Indomethacin 50mg with since I don't know when, get them renewed every two years. Last night I drank two eggnog and whatever not counting the wine. And every once, (more times then I care to mention), in a while I drink Single Malt Scotch. I have never had a problem as long as I drink water. Now it is not for everyone because I drink a full glass of water before I start and in between rounds and it is GOD awful, the water I mean. and I have a glass of water afterwards. It takes some doing, and it is not for everyone, but it is the only way I can control it, and I know it, so I drink water. I eat red meat and so forth, but GOD is that water awful. I do not know if this helps, but anyway.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Default quick fix for gout

Go to your doctor and get prescription for diclofenac it will be gone in 6 to 8 hrs. This is the same as voltaren rub but much stronger, 3 pills and your good to go. Talk to the doc don't suffer life's to short.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Might sound crazy but do you use table salt? Iodized salt helps prevent gout. Most sea salts are not iodized, so use table salt rather than sea salt.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:43 PM

I finally asked my doc for a daily pill, Uloric, haven’t had an attack for three yrs. Drink and eat what I want. Changed my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2018, 04:14 PM

It is amazing what can trigger it. I've been playing with Gout for 35 years.
My trigger took me two years to figure out but it was eggs and pork. Two or three mornings of bacon and eggs or ham and eggs look out. Even a couple eggs no pork and I could feel it coming on. Stayed away from that religiously maybe have eggs and ham or bacon once every two weeks. Baked ham for supper tonight and a BBQ pork chop tomorrow night and I would be flat for a couple days.
Time passed and I would still get the odd flair up really bad............. Found out any foods that were battered commercially and then cooked later were another trigger. Eg. fish sticks or onion rings they were really bad too.

We eat mostly what we grow and what butcher on our own and watch all the other stuff and I do pretty good maybe an asttach every six months or so.

Water 2 to 3 liters everyday religiously can't stess that enough.
Beer well I can drink enough to make myself look pretty damn stupid but no gout.
Chicken, fish, lamb, beef and wild meat i can eat and no problems.

Had a friend his went off the scale when he ate pirogies poor bugger!
Another lady hers goes bonkers if she eats to much Citrus fruit.
Have an Uncle that won't eat anything commercially breaded or eggs either.

So good luck take your meds drink lots of water and prepare to piddle a lot but your gout should be a lot less.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 12-09-2018, 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=tezzeron;3889142]I finally asked my doc for a daily pill, Uloric, haven’t had an attack for three yrs. Drink and eat what I want. Changed my life.

This.....

Uloric, I’ve been on it for about 6 years. It’s the easiest on your kidneys by the way. My ankle is permenantly damaged from a gawdawful case of gout (at Disneyland of all places). Nothing I did would control it until I went on uloric.

Bloody curse....
Old 12-09-2018, 05:36 PM

A curse I would say. My case would be on the milder side having seen a friend that cannot even walk when it attacks. Medication can really help. The downside is all gout medication is bad to your kidney. Do not abuse it.

As was stress by everybody water intake is the best cure. Black cherry juice and pomegranate juice also works for me to keep uric acid at bay.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
A curse I would say. My case would be on the milder side having seen a friend that cannot even walk when it attacks. Medication can really help. The downside is all gout medication is bad to your kidney. Do not abuse it.

As was stress by everybody water intake is the best cure. Black cherry juice and pomegranate juice also works for me to keep uric acid at bay.
Many have died of kidney disease. Never heard somebody dying of gout.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowan View Post
Might sound crazy but do you use table salt? Iodized salt helps prevent gout. Most sea salts are not iodized, so use table salt rather than sea salt.
I think you’re confusing gout with goiter.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:26 PM

I’ve just spent the better part of a week suffering from my very first gout attack. While I have always been just on the cusp of having gout, this was my very first chronic attack. It happened last Saturday at midnight. Woke me up with terrible pain in my foot. A classic case said the doctor. Funny thing was, I had to run a 5km road race on that Saturday. I’m not sure how I managed to, but I did the race and even posted the best time in almost a dozen years. It was on early Monday morning when I decided to head into emergency to get some help.

The doctor looked at my past blood work and had a long talk with me trying to see what “put me over the edge” to cause this attack. After my heart attack 21 months ago, I am on a very strict diet. I have worked my way back into shape and am running races again. So when the doctor asked me what I could have eaten in the days before this attack, I was at a loss. That is until the doctor asked me about what I drank after working out. It turned out to be apple juice. A lot of apple juice. Way too much sugar with my borderline blood condition. Add to that my post race “drinks”. A couple (3) pints of beer. Alcohol made it worse.

So I’ve been on the gout pills and anti-inflammatory drugs. They are also tearing up my stomach. To the OP, I feel your stomach pain....all week. I am much better almost a week later. I have a large bunion on my right foot that wasn’t there before. I resumed training on Thursday and am back running. Things are returning to normal. The meds will be finished in a couple more days. There is still some pain, but the doctor says I should be back to normal in another week or so.

Lessons learned. Even though my diet is pretty strict because of my heart condition, there are things that I never thought would do such harm. No idea that apple juice, albeit a lot of apple juice, could put me over the edge. Alcohol is also not great for this condition. My diet consists of very little red meat, lots of vegetables and fish, and lentils and legumes. I don’t really drink a whole bunch, but those post race beers weren’t the best choice.

So like everyone always says....moderation. With a uric acid levels close to having gout, it pays to avoid sugars. Red meats and organ meats (liver, kidney, etc.). Even certain types of fish can make it worse. And of course, alcohol.

Gout is one of the worse types of pain I have experienced. Besides the pain of my heart attack, it comes a very close second. Follow the doctor’s advice on diet. Lose weight. Excersise. Drink lots of water. And of course, watch your diet. Ask a lot of questions. I did, and I am almost over my attack.

To the OP, I feel your pain. I hope you can get over this. And good luck.

Last edited by 6MT; 12-09-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:42 PM

I bought some tart cherry extract pills off Amazon that help when I feel an attack coming on. A couple capsules and a whole bunch of water straightens me out.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:28 PM

[QUOTE=Etownpaul;3889336]I bought some tart cherry extract pills off Amazon that help when I feel an attack coming on. A couple capsules and a whole bunch of water straightens me out.[/QUOTE

Dark cherry Juice which you can buy at most health stores works as well as a shot of apple cider vinegar. Gross stuff but when I feel an attack coming on, a shot of it in every morning typically limits the attack.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=prinny53;3889422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I bought some tart cherry extract pills off Amazon that help when I feel an attack coming on. A couple capsules and a whole bunch of water straightens me out.[/QUOTE

Dark cherry Juice which you can buy at most health stores works as well as a shot of apple cider vinegar. Gross stuff but when I feel an attack coming on, a shot of it in every morning typically limits the attack.
I drank cherry juice until I looked like one...never helped me a bit. Avoided every kind of food on the list...didn’t help. I think most of that is old wives tales, it it really did help then Henry V111 would have been able to have some relief
Old 12-10-2018, 08:37 AM

A person is going to have to find out what sets their gout off. What bothers me not bother you.

I take allopurinol every day and can even drink beer but I have to restrict the whisky and have eliminated the liver and onions. About once or twice a year I need colchicene to rescue me.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Drink lots of cherry juice, my old man swears by it.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:20 PM

Default gout

i have had gout ,was on meds .doc told me they were hard on my kidneys etc.read BACKWOODSMAN MAGIZINE story said to take honey and cinnimon .have not taken a daily pill for 4 or 6 years .one or two flair ups .i cut out bread alout ,eat WASA for breakfast and snacks
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
A person is going to have to find out what sets their gout off. What bothers me not bother you.

Yup it differs on everybody. This include race (most common to Asian but not all). With my friends, 70% of them are suffering chronic gout. The irony of it is we talk about it all the time over a bottle of whiskey or according to your poison.

Here is joke out of frustration.

Drunk 1 : I discover the cure of gout and it is only found in Home Depot.

All : Seriously, I think you are drunk.

Dunk 1 : No I am serious it is called "mop handle" and its cheap.

All : So how does it cure gout.

Drunk 1 : It doesn't you d&%$# A*&. it is the cheapest cane out there.