Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 AM

Thumbs down Cold Lake AFB losing Services-anyone got more info on this?

Horrible thing to try and figure out. So so so so so.....

The Liberals Reveal Their Plans to Move Services Away from CFB Cold Lake
Yesterday at a meeting of the Parliamentary Committee on Public Accounts we learned that the Liberals are "moving" vital services away from CFB Cold Lake. This is not acceptable! Once again Justin Trudeau and his Liberals will be responsible for job losses in Alberta.

https://www.facebook.com/SorensonKev...type=2&theater

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM
AO Sponsor

I am definitely not what one would consider a separatist as I love my country, but even I am starting to wonder how long we can allow ourselves to be abused so badly by federal policies with zero recourse what-so-ever. Things need to change and soon!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 AM

Default Moving AETE

From my understanding of the stuttering official, the plan is to move AETE from the Cold Lake base down to Ottawa. Having been posted to AETE in the early 90's I was fortunate that my projects were mostly based out of Alberta on C-130's so being in AB made sense. The reason that the other aircraft were brought to AETE was that the ranges and airspace were available. The biggest loss for AETE will be the range for various photo gathering tests and for weapons trials. Not sure what is available in the Ottawa area. Certainly test flying in the Ottawa area will be more complicated as the airspace is considerably more congested than northern AB. With that said, the Liberals are once again the architects of diminishing the CAF and the ability to meet our commitments to defence. Seems like it was for the 20 years I spent in the Air Force. Sad. For a government that seems to focus so much on being politically correct, they sure don't care about how this appears to Albertans.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 AM

The Liberals put that base in place in the late 1940's earlie 1950's. My dad helped build that place. This is truly a blow to Alberta and the people of Cold Lake and CFB Cold Lake.

It's insane that we continue to take this from Truedopes Ottawa. I agree with tire bob's account of things. The time has come for Western Canada to take a stand against Ottawa.

I'm not sure how this would be done, but doing nothing begets more of this abuse.

BW
Old 12-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned

As much as I despise Justin the move won't have a huge impact. From a fella in the know, "The move is going to affect about a dozen testers who already do all of their work in other locations like Petawawa, Trenton, Montreal, Gagetown, etc."
Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 PM

for those of us that don't know
Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment (AETE)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/news/arti...ility/i6jawlwe
Old 12-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Seems to me, our only other fighter base is in Quebec.

Grizz
Old 12-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
From my understanding of the stuttering official, the plan is to move AETE from the Cold Lake base down to Ottawa. Having been posted to AETE in the early 90's I was fortunate that my projects were mostly based out of Alberta on C-130's so being in AB made sense. The reason that the other aircraft were brought to AETE was that the ranges and airspace were available. The biggest loss for AETE will be the range for various photo gathering tests and for weapons trials. Not sure what is available in the Ottawa area. Certainly test flying in the Ottawa area will be more complicated as the airspace is considerably more congested than northern AB. With that said, the Liberals are once again the architects of diminishing the CAF and the ability to meet our commitments to defence. Seems like it was for the 20 years I spent in the Air Force. Sad. For a government that seems to focus so much on being politically correct, they sure don't care about how this appears to Albertans.
They should worry about being morally correct, instead of trying invent words, one word to describe this, greasy.
Thanks for your service!
Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 PM

I remember when CFB Calgary closed and remaining personnel were moved to Edmonton....we were clearly punished for our voting.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
I remember when CFB Calgary closed and remaining personnel were moved to Edmonton....we were clearly punished for our voting.
I remember when Calgary had two Regular Force Army bases and two Regular Force Air Force bases. Currie Barracks, Sarcee Barracks, RCAF Station Calgary and RCAF Station Lincoln Park. This was in the 1960's
Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 PM

How many jobs will this take away from Cold lake?
Maybe Its the Libs way of trying to bring a few jobs out East now
Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 PM

I'm no Liberal supporter but this is typical CPC fear mongering making it sound like 8 Wing Cold Lake is closing down, this only affect 50 employees having their position moved to Ontario. They had a hard time finding civilian engineers willing to move to Cold Lake anyway, last I checked, only 34 positions were filled.

I first heard that AETE would be moving back in 2014 so it's not new.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
I'm no Liberal supporter but this is typical CPC fear mongering making it sound like 8 Wing Cold Lake is closing down, this only affect 50 employees having their position moved to Ontario. They had a hard time finding civilian engineers willing to move to Cold Lake anyway, last I checked, only 34 positions were filled.

I first heard that AETE would be moving back in 2014 so it's not new.
‘I’m no Liberal supporter but this is typical CPC fear mongering”

???
Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
A lot went on during the Liberal reign during the 90’s.......complete and utter carnage of the CF that we commonly refer to as “The Decade of Darkness”. Base closures, Force Reduction, budgets cut to the bare minimum just to operate......it was brutal. Soldiers deployed to a desert war zone in a Afghanistan in green camo and soft skinned vehicles! The Liberals have never been a friend to the Military, not during my lifetime anyway.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post

Freeing up hanger space for the new used F18.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
As much as I despise Justin the move won't have a huge impact. From a fella in the know, "The move is going to affect about a dozen testers who already do all of their work in other locations like Petawawa, Trenton, Montreal, Gagetown, etc."
A little off there Dave, AETE has approx 165 military members and 22 civilian give or take which of relocated to thier new location will impact the area as these people work, live and okay here which generates revenue for the little city.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I left the Strats just before the closure of Harvey Barracks which was a great garrison.....these were the days and I knew the regiment would never be the same elsewhere....hard as it was time to move on, oh well that's life.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM

Sounds like sad days ahead for the base. I was also posted at AETE.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I left the Strats just before the closure of Harvey Barracks which was a great garrison.....these were the days and I knew the regiment would never be the same elsewhere....hard as it was time to move on, oh well that's life.
I think that’s common to all good units. When my Battalion returned from Iraq and our company CO, 1sgt and my PL left I knew it would never be the same. We went from top of the game to the middle mainly because our new command didn’t know jack all and tried to tell us how things really were. We lost motivation quick and despite the desire to do another tour I opted out as I had no faith in my command. If those 3 men were putting a group together tomorrow I’d go in a heart beat! Great Leaders!
Old 12-09-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I knew they changed the name from Sarcee Barracks to Harvey Barracks, but I'm not sure when as I was out of province from '63 to '87 with the Air Force.

I have to tell you a story about Brigadier Harvey. It was during WWll, my Dad was in the RCAF and my mother, grandmother and I (I was just a toddler) lived in Calgary, 16th Ave SW between 4th and 5th st in a two story house. My Mother said that we lived on the ground floor and upstairs resided a WWl vet who was currently Harvey's official driver. My Mother said that he used to give the three of us a ride downtown in Harvey's staff car.

After I retired in 1987 I was residing in Innisfail for a short time and I got a call from my Mother who was at the Legion and said to come down right way as there is someone you have to meet. It turned out by sheer coincidence that it was Harvey's driver and was living west of Innisfail at the time. His last name was Michael.

About 4 yrs ago I was visiting the NWMP cemetery at Fort MacLeod and I noticed a grave site about 50 yds away that had a chain fence around it with small Canadian flags. I wondered who that was, went over and it was Brigadier Harvey's grave site.