Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 PM

Default Hunting camp vandals/break ins

Has anybody been experiencing damage,theft, or vandalism this year. What wmu were you in if you did. Just to help guys stay alert out there
Old 12-04-2018, 03:19 PM

Not yet, but I'm always worried about it. Did you experience this?
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 PM

Talked to a couple of guys north of whitecourt who had their trucks gone threw and some stuff in the back taken they had pulled into a lease and went for a stroll in the morning.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:29 PM

346 friend had his saw and axe go missing from camp they had to come right into camp and walk around to find it
Old 12-04-2018, 06:14 PM

If your going to set up camp for a few days why not invite an extra person along just to hang around while the "hunters" are away from camp. Could also work for snowmobilers heading out to areas where theft is a problem-kinda like a night watchman/woman. With the higher cost of our outdoor experiences and the amount of crap happening out there it would kinda make sense to have an "extra" enthusiast along. Just a thought.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:11 PM

Years ago I heard of someone having a quarter of a moose stolen... I guess they were legitimately hungry...I set up my trail camera up overlooking my camp...
Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 PM

We always post up a couple of signs entering our hunting camp area "BIBLE CAMP AHEAD". We aren't religious group but it does seem to keep the undesirables/ thieves away when we are out hunting
Old 12-04-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
We always post up a couple of signs entering our hunting camp area "BIBLE CAMP AHEAD". We aren't religious group but it does seem to keep the undesirables/ thieves away when we are out hunting
Haha this made me laugh. Wonder what the thieves think.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 AM

yep stole my truck and my white tail buck I got in archery season out of the freezer, they caught the punk in Whitecourt a month later . truck was all beat up though he was using it as his own personal vehicle , insurance wrote it off today .
Got the name and address of the piece of **** too
though he was only 1 of 3 of the garbage that was there. according to the cameras,
wmu 332 west of 22 between rocky and Drayton
Old 12-06-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
If your going to set up camp for a few days why not invite an extra person along just to hang around while the "hunters" are away from camp. Could also work for snowmobilers heading out to areas where theft is a problem-kinda like a night watchman/woman. With the higher cost of our outdoor experiences and the amount of crap happening out there it would kinda make sense to have an "extra" enthusiast along. Just a thought.
We do this all the time. One of the guys in our group has no desire to hunt but, really likes wild game. Getting out in the bush and hanging around the fire at camp works for him. It's a win win, he gets his share of the meat and we come back to a warm camp.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Had some friends hunting in 518 when they returned to there truck windows were smashed out of their trucks and a bunch of gear was stolen.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:00 AM

After losing over $3500 worth of gear to theft back in 2016 I don't leave anything out anymore. I hunt alot more in a small tipi setup I can "hide" and when I have my wall tent out now I try to bring along a non-hunter buddy to hang out and keep an eye on things.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 AM

What a freaking world we live in nowadays

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
What a freaking world we live in nowadays

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Agree, some thieves are pretty brazen to steal from people in the bush that are carrying weapons. Surprised you don't hear of more altercations of thieves being caught in the act by hunters....
Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 AM

When we would wall tent 14 k back from the road and the trucks and trailers sat for a few days beside the road, it was a concern for sure. Luckily, we parked in a old gravel pit where others camped and hunted from. A little hello to the fellow hunters and at least we knew the trucks had eyes on them.

The last 2 years my son and I have been hunting a moose tag close to town and we parked at a friends cabin. Safe. Next year were back to crown land hunting and it's on my mind for sure. Just got to leave nothing in the cab when your go for a walk/quad ride but what about the gear you need that's in the box? Lockable tool box I guess.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:26 AM

Fools that would steal from a guy walking around with a loaded rifle are not very smart.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Fools that would steal from a guy walking around with a loaded rifle are not very smart.
Or maybe they are. When was the last time you heard of someone being shot breaking into or vandalizing a hunting camp in this province?

Would you shoot someone for trying to steal your sleeping bag?

Without a doubt, in this backward society, the shooter defending his domain would receive a far stiffer sentence than the campsite vandal. Would it be worth it?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
It’s not like they go to school for it. Lol. Lots of low life’s all over. Just wonder if they will go to work when economy picks up or if they like the easy money
Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Agree, some thieves are pretty brazen to steal from people in the bush that are carrying weapons. Surprised you don't hear of more altercations of thieves being caught in the act by hunters....
Surpirsed you don’t “hear” about it??? Haha what would you expect to hear, except the completely normal sound of a rifle shot during hunting season.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Surpirsed you don’t “hear” about it??? Haha what would you expect to hear, except the completely normal sound of a rifle shot during hunting season.
And a missing person poster
Old 12-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
If anyone is interested for next fall let me know, I might be interested in sitting at camp burning wood and getting supper ready in exchange for a couple of steaks and a roast if the hunters are successful, or even just to get the hell out of the city for a few days.

BW
Old 12-08-2018, 03:55 AM

Bible camp, Good one Austin, ha.
Not only would that keep the uninvited out, most of the invited would not show up as well, ha.

TBark
Old 12-08-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
People go missing all the time.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
People go missing all the time.
.....and a lot more should.