Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 07:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am a still hunted and stalker by choice, absolutely love it!
However this year I built a blind and hunted it for three days before killing a doe on the way into it!

I had a white tail walk across my line if sight so close on the first day all I could see was its back, I had to shuffle around to get it to jump out and look to see what surprised it before I ID’d it as a buck.
I only had supplimental tags so took some pics instead!

Cat
A stalker by choice

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
A stalker by choice
Of white tail deer dagnabit, DEER!!
Cat
Old 11-27-2018, 07:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Of white tail deer dagnabit, DEER!!
Cat
You said "tail" now I am confused.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
The problem is ,this is likely not huge issue it is made out to be , Similar to the old argument from geared atv riders claiming that belt driven machines are constantly blowing up belts to the point that you risk life and limb if you don't carry spares on your belt driven atv. I've never blown a belt on a atv ever,I have yet to see a road hunter driving around with a gun hanging out the rear window or front window ready to shoot anything they see. But like a blown belt , it likely does happen ,just not as often as some would have us believe.

I cannot speak to the ATV Belt vs Chain Issue as I have never owned an ATV. Therefore I cannot be sure it is applicable to this circumstantial situation.

I have tagged out my whitetail just in the last several days. During my last week of hunting in 312, I witnessed 2 such occasions with different vehicles, and I believe different people. One with a younger looking gentleman in the back seat of a silver tacoma pickup with just the tip of a rifle out the window, driving by slowly checking out the fields. On the second occasion on different land, I had just got out about 30 mins before first light and was about to walk in to a cut line. I spotted 4 does not far from where I parked, 130 yards away grazing in a field fairly close to the to the grid road. I waited a painstaking 15 mins for first shot with my scope reticle resting on the does vitals. With about 5 mins to go before first shot, a white ford heavy duty truck crept down the road slowly and stopped parallel to the group of does. Someone got out ( standing behind the cab so I couldnt see them.) The does spooked and buggered way off south. At the same time the person got back in and slowly crept up the road once again. Once the person got a look at my truck parked not far up the road in a turn off in some bushes, They pinned it an sped off down the road.

If it has happened twice personally to me in the span of 3 days this season, ( and several times in the past years) My experiences speak to my belief that this happens MUCH MUCH more than people think it does. I actually stopped hunting the last few days or week of the season. Over the years I have noticed a huge correlation between the lack of time left in the season, and people driving around looking for reckless shot opportunities as to not be left with an unfilled tag.

P.s. I get what you are trying to say in regards to your original post. Dont judge and treat each other with respect. I am just playing devils advocate to your points as there are also several negatives which you didnt mention.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:23 PM

I don't see where the perceived "divide" is. I don't believe it truly exists to a great extent. Human beings naturally think their own methods are the best way. We all carry our own methods and ethics surrounding those.
Let's break it down:
There are a simple few categories of "ways to hunt". I wont hit them all but can be summed up briefly as:
Still Hunting
Spot and stalk (either from truck or while hiking off the beaten path)
Bush pushing
Stand hunting (ground or tree)

I look at these categories and undoubtedly I'm missing some. However it pretty much sums it up. I employ all 4 in various ways. Can anyone who hunts honestly say they don't? Scouting from a truck is incredibly effective. As is sitting quietly on a field edge. I've learned a patient still hunt can produce awesome opportunity in some specific scenarios. They all have a place in my hunting journal. If you do not employ most if not all of these tactics, I can honestly say you are probably selling yourself short.

The issue i see arising is the bending of, or complete disregard to not only the law of the land, but the law of respect. Sure, you can drive into an approach and glass a field that you know someone is sitting in. You may not even have broken a law necessarily. Hike down a trail head where someone clearly beat you to... have at it. But it boils down to respect. If you don't care about anyone but yourself you will do stupid stuff like that. I believe that's where I struggle most with my fellow hunters. That seems to be the theme of the complaints here too. Yeah there are some purists who will openly chastise others. I can't believe for a minute that group is any significant percentage of this forums users, much less of Alberta's hunting community.

Do your thing- as long as it's within the confines of the law AND out of respect. You can't legislate respect...

w.w.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM

Personally I don’t mind truck hunters...it’s those pesky quad and side by side guys that really **** me off lol... no really I started hanging reflective stripes on the cut lines I’m hunting so I’m not mistaken for a moose when I’m hunkered I’m in my ground blind and my back is turned...
Old 12-04-2018, 02:50 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

I guess I fall into the lazy category lol
I have to use an atv or other type of transportation in order to get out into the back country now.
I’m just happy to get outdoors and spend time with friends and being able to do some of the things that I love to do still 👍😊
Old 12-04-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I have to use an atv or other type of transportation in order to get out into the back country now.
I’m just happy to get outdoors and spend time with friends and being able to do some of the things that I love to do still 👍😊
Amen nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
The reality is, "road hunting" isnt what people are likely upset with. Like anything else, it can be done within the current rules and regulations.

The issue is Perception of any given situation.

People are upset with, Trespassing and Poaching, as they should be. Unfortunately "road hunting" and poaching often go hand in hand more than almost anything else in hunting. Even if it turns out that it isn't poaching, the perception by most people is that it is.

People can be upset about the lack of safety, for the people in the vehicle or the potential hunter in the field. When I see a truck drive down the road with a rifle hanging out the back window, It bothers me, A LOT, especially if I am sitting in the bush near where they drive by.

People get upset by blown out fields. If you sit all day waiting for some animals to come out and feed, just to have someone drive by, stop and take a rushed shot and spook them away. While this could be completely legitimate if it is land the person has access on, The hunter who is sitting likely wouldn't be happy about excited and happy for the road hunter, if they did get an animal.

If you speak of road hunting in terms of a person driving by land that is their own land or land they have proper written permission on. Then getting out of the vehicle, putting your clip into your gun, walking off the road and down to the edge of the fence line and taking a shot at an animal... then I would agree, I have no issue with that, and is likely within the rules and regulations.

If your talking about road hunting in terms of: Driving up and down grid or back country roads, hanging out the back window of a vehicle with a loaded rifle, Taking a shot from the vehicle at whatever you happen to see, on anyone's land, access or not... Then Yes I have a major problem with that.

If I were a betting man, I would place a large wager that the vast majority of "road hunting" would be the second of the 2 situations.
You say what I think far better then I am capable of.

I really hesitate to say all that I think and know, because I do not have the literary skills to put it out there without getting attacked as a goodly two shoes or worse yet, a wanna be cop.

This topic is such a good example. Although I used to much prefer hunting on foot I have and still do use my vehicle in the act of hunting.
Now that I am somewhat handicapped I use it even more.

Having said that I know beyond a shadow of doubt that this admission will be used against me some time in the future. That's the way it works around here.

And that fact stifles debate here and throughout the net. Moreover it greatly limits what most decent hunters are willing to share or discuss on these threads.

I believe it is the number one reason that so many have left to never return and why so many lurk for years and never post or post very little.

Yes I do know people who lurk and at least one very knowledgeable hunter who has left never to return.

It's something I have seriously considered doing myself, many times.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
You and me too my freind. You and me too.

But I know that in admitting that I have forever nullified any objection I may have to shooting from within a vehicle or shooting from the traveled portion of a regulalry maintained roadway.

See how that works, one has to be absolutly specific to avoid a firestorm, and even that is not always effective protection.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You say what I think far better then I am capable of.

I really hesitate to say all that I think and know, because I do not have the literary skills to put it out there without getting attacked as a goodly two shoes or worse yet, a wanna be cop.
Hahah... Thanks KegRiver

I hate to say it took about 4 edits to get that out right. Even after writing things, I second guess and want to rewrite it.

I'll leave you with a good quote

"When you give yourself permission to communicate what matters to you in every situation you will have peace despite rejection or disapproval. Putting a voice to your soul helps you to let go of the negative energy of fear and regret"
Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Hahah... Thanks KegRiver

I hate to say it took about 4 edits to get that out right. Even after writing things, I second guess and want to rewrite it.

I'll leave you with a good quote

"When you give yourself permission to communicate what matters to you in every situation you will have peace despite rejection or disapproval. Putting a voice to your soul helps you to let go of the negative energy of fear and regret"

Thank you sir.

I am frustrated with my lack of communication skill but have peace knowing I am not who I am precieved to be on these threads.
And in knowing that a silent minority know who I really am.

Like the fellow who gifted us with part of his harvest this fall. I have not had better Deer steaks in my life.
Thank you Guy.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Default Why do we chastise anyone...

Who pays their dues (tags) and abides by the regulations? There are aspects of luck to all hunts and a loose relationship between effort and success. Some people take it more seriously than others, some are in better condition than others, some are just out for the drive or walk. There are all stripes of people in the world and more than one way to hunt. Protect that freedom or we will all loose it. Unless you have a full appraisal of the circumstances, best to not judge at all.

My father in law is on 2 bad knees, as I will be in the years to come. For now we go about our hunts differently, he’s not lazy... just blessed differently.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:51 PM

Oh, you hunt with a rifle. But its so much more sporting to hunt with a bow.

Oh, you hunt with a compound bow, you should really experience hunting with a recurve. THATS real hunting....

Oh you hunt with a recurve, hey I used to hunt with a spear, but some nut-less brain dead half wits decided I cant hunt with a spear anymore.

But hey lets spend 251 million on a new a Provincial museum so we can dedicate part of it to a special sector of society who hypothetically killed tons of game with a spear............thats crap. Ive seen that spear and bow and arrow they display. Id let anyone shoot me in the chest with it at 20 yds. If an indian killed a moose with that thing, it’s because the moose laughed itself to death.

Do ANY of these arguments make sense to ANYONE? If it does, you should seriously consider laying in the left lane of the QE2 ......
Old 12-07-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Oh, you hunt with a rifle. But its so much more sporting to hunt with a bow.

Oh, you hunt with a compound bow, you should really experience hunting with a recurve. THATS real hunting....

Oh you hunt with a recurve, hey I used to hunt with a spear, but some nut-less brain dead half wits decided I cant hunt with a spear anymore.

But hey lets spend 251 million on a new a Provincial museum so we can dedicate part of it to a special sector of society who hypothetically killed tons of game with a spear............thats crap. Ive seen that spear and bow and arrow they display. Id let anyone shoot me in the chest with it at 20 yds. If an indian killed a moose with that thing, it’s because the moose laughed itself to death.

Do ANY of these arguments make sense to ANYONE? If it does, you should seriously consider laying in the left lane of the QE2 ......
Too funny...except for the museum reference had the exact same exchange with someone the other day that morphed from a discussion about cougar hunting with dogs.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:13 AM
Gone Hunting

There are many arguments that make no sense and others that make nothing but sense.

Getting scoped is not a good feeling and it's illegal.
Shooting along a county roadway can be dangerous, I've been on the receiving end of that one, and it's illegal to do with a rifle.

Tying up tags to protect the Deer population may not be illegal by the letter of the law but who among us think it's a good thing for a hunter to do.

Shooting after dark, is illegal and dangerous.

The list is long and although I have not experienced all of it, I have experienced enough to want to take a strong stand against it.

Having said that, I am more for education and peer pressure then punishment.

Punishment is for children. I don't believe punishment is particulalry effective when dealing with adults. I do believe our jails bear that out.

I firmly believe that if we don't police ourselves, others will and we are not likely to like the results.

I also believe that there are practices that are not forbidden by law that will hurt us in the long term, like taking all that one can for no other reason that it is possible and not expressly forbidden by law.

There are also things that are perfectly legal but not helpful, like posting photos of bloody kills.

Why is it that we defend practices that hurt our image while arguing about things that matter to only a few inside our ranks, like long range hunting and the newest ultra magnum?

George Bernard Shaw