Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Tikka T3 .300 WSM Review

Hey guys, just thought I would share my first experience with my new rifle. I recently bought the Tikka T3 .300 WSM with wood stock and stainless barrel paired with a Burris scope. Bought it at Wholesale sports as it was a combo special they had on for $1100. The .300 WSM wasn't my first choice, but it really comes down to minor differences when compared to any other .30 calibre rifle when used for hunting large game < 200 yds (which is what I bought it for!)

I just took it out to the range last night and I must say it was very impressive. I was using 180 grain bullets. I'm 6'4 and about 190 lbs and the gun kicks pretty good. My shoulder is definitely a little sore, but I will continue to shoot it without a recoil pad since it isn't TOO bad.

The rifle shoots very nice and the trigger was crisp. I'm not going to comment on the groupings since I was more focused on zeroing in my scope, but it did shoot in very consistent patterns. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase and I recommend this set-up for those who are thinking of something that is a good "bang for the buck".

Speaking of which, I'll be taking it out moose/deer hunting this weekend and will keep you posted on how it performs in the field if all goes according to plan!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:06 PM

I just bought a T3 .300WSM as well. Feeds nice, shoots nice. Recoil isn't bad for a few shots, but it bruises my shoulder up pretty good at the range. I'm definately gonna put a Limbsaver on it, I just can't find one yet. Enjoy.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
I'm not going to comment on the groupings since I was more focused on zeroing in my scope, but it did shoot in very consistent patterns.
patterns?....so you bought a scatter gun eh? .....
Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 PM

i love my tikka t3 in 300wsm i put a limb saver on it and reduced the recoil by half. also add some weight to your bench that seems to help also.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 PM

I love my Tikka T3 lite 270 WSM which I bought this summer. It kicked hard but with a limb saver I don't notice it. It was great to carry sheep hunting to get my first ram. I would not hesitate a second to buy the same gun again. Although I have second guessed that the 300 WSM may have been a better option as I was looking to hunt elk.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 PM

You're .270wsm will do just fine on elk, podman. All ya gotta do is shoot straight. (And from the looks of that ram, you can!)
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
You're .270wsm will do just fine on elk, podman. All ya gotta do is shoot straight. (And from the looks of that ram, you can!)

+1 a 270 wsm is very capable with the right bullet and a competant shooter

I have a friend with an old 270 (not short mag) that has taken more elk than I can count on my toes and fingers and probably you toes and some fingers,, you just have a bit less leeway for crappy shots.

both of my brothers shoot 270 wsm and they can put an elk on his side no problem, just select your bullet carefully and spend some time getting to know your rifle