Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-02-2019, 06:51 AM

Default tikka t3x tac a1

looking into buying a tikka t3x tac a1 for long range target shooting,
the online reviews seem very good so far anybody have any experience with it?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:07 AM

I have 2 friends that have them in 260 rem,very accuate and no problems in about a year with them.They use h4350 and the hornady 143 eldx.We shoot to 1200 yards and they work good, is about all i can say.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:42 AM

It is a very good gun and set up but it really is just a Tikka T3x in a fancy chassis and a 2 stage trigger.

I would consider maybe a regular Tikka Varmint or maybe a Tikka CTR.

The Tikka has a great trigger as is and you can switch to a 2 stage later if that is what you prefer.

There are lots of chassis or stock options you can get as well.

I think a Tikka Varmint + a KRG bravo would be a good combo. It will also let you use the more common and cheaper AICs mags.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 AM

I briefly considered one, but I went with a CTR in 6.5CM instead. I just couldn't justify the extra $1000 for a chassis and a different trigger. I also considered a T-3 Varmint, but chose the CTR for the metal floorplate and magazine. Accuracy wise, it would be pretty hard to improve on the CTR for a rifle in that price range, and it holds it's own with rifles costing twice as much.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
It is a very good gun and set up but it really is just a Tikka T3x in a fancy chassis and a 2 stage trigger.

I would consider maybe a regular Tikka Varmint or maybe a Tikka CTR.

The Tikka has a great trigger as is and you can switch to a 2 stage later if that is what you prefer.

There are lots of chassis or stock options you can get as well.

I think a Tikka Varmint + a KRG bravo would be a good combo. It will also let you use the more common and cheaper AICs mags.
Excellent points. I've been batting around a 223 trainer base on a T3 Varmint. Thread it, drop it in a MDT ESS or ACC and shoot. Easy as it gets.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300wby mag View Post

Yes its a nice rifle i have used it and shoot nice ..
Old 02-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300wby mag View Post
You cant get it wrong with Tikka T3X tac. I used to have few years back before I exchanged it for a snowbike
Old 02-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Default tikka t3x tac a1

thanks for the replies, all the reviews I have watched online have been very positive but its nice to hear from people that use the gun and aren't paid to review it
Old 02-08-2019, 02:26 PM

Seems like a lot of money to me for Tikka’s entry into the “ready to shoot” PR market?
Considering Remington PCR is around half the cost and Ruger PR is in between the two.....for $2200+ one could buy a donor T3 and drop into the chassis of your choice?
No experience with the rifle myself,jest sayn,kinda defeats the purpose of jumping onto the ready to shoot package bandwagon when you start getting into that kinda money,might as well go semi-custom at that price point?
Again though,no personal experience with it and haven’t really bothered to scrutinize the features for value as no real interest in it myself,maybe it is indeed worth what they ask?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:16 PM

I've had one for over a year now and am still impressed with it even though I'm not as in love with the chassis idea as I once was.
I can't say enough good about that two stage trigger. Ive used jewel, shilen and some worked over remington triggers but the tikka two stage is by far my favorite. I could be wrong but I suspect it's the same one that's in the TRG 22.
I posted some three shot groups on here that were made during load development five different charge weights, three groups were in the 1s one was in the 2s and one went just over half moa and i suspect that was my fault. They damn sure shoot.
If i had to change anything I would now consider putting it into a Macmillan A5 or a Manners stock.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:57 PM

Default Tac owner

I own one in 308. Right out of the box it is one of the most accurate and hands down the easiest rifle, I own, to load for. I hear others mention the $1000 extra, and yes that is something to consider, but if you want a chassis rifle, it is the one to get. The componant's are quality, and to me, it was worth the price over the Ruger chassis and the likes. The trigger is perfect, but again, you have to want a two stage. If you don't like two stages, then don't get the rifle. Precision rifles are a special breed and, for being out of the box, I would put this rifle in that category. It took less than an hour at the reloading bench and an hour at the range to get consistant 1/2" groups at 100. 45.5 gns of varget is the load I use with berger 168's. I dressed it with a mark 4 4.5-14 and away I went. If you price these rifles against Cadex, Sako TRG then it is an excellent deal.

The negatives would be the weight. The rifle and scope are 11.5 lbs with a loaded 5 round magazine. the rail is not 20 MOA, but for 308, I think this is livable. It is a consistant shooter out to 600 yds. I don't know if its capable of more, but that is the limit that I shoot it regularily at with great performance.

In short, its a fun rifle that see's a lot of use.

Cory