Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

Wheres Charlie, you cant do this on your own...
Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Why does it always have to be an Alaskan brown bear?

How many grizzlies were shot in Alberta last year? How many of you even had a tag???

You guys do realize this is about penetration, at least thats what I got from the op.

Fwiw, I doubt anyone would choose a 6.5 Grendel over a 300 magnum if they were grizzly hunting, but being that most of us on the forum live in Alberta I dont understand why it always has to come back to grizzlies. Ill bet 99% of the people on this forum havent even seen a grizzly in real life. Ive seen a total
of 5 in my life, and one was in the park. Never once did I wish I had a 300 magnum when I came across a grizzly.

The topic is about penetration, maybe leave the grizzlies alone since theyre protected.
The grizzly or brown bear issue came up because the op compared a great large /dangerous animal round to a nice solid deer cartridge and tried to say they were equal. Thus the comparison sane people brought forth. It does not matter if they have or have not seen one, only that they know what cartridge they would want if they needed one, but you already know their line of thought as well as the reasoning behind it, but gotta love ANOTHER CM/Grendel thread with a different twist, BTW,,,wheres Charlie
Old 12-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
The grizzly or brown bear issue came up because the op compared a great large /dangerous animal round to a nice solid deer cartridge and tried to say they were equal. Thus the comparison sane people brought forth. It does not matter if they have or have not seen one, only that they know what cartridge they would want if they needed one, but you already know their line of thought as well as the reasoning behind it, but gotta love ANOTHER CM thread with a different twist, BTW,,,wheres Charlie
So will the 300 or the 6.5 have more penetration?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
You have to be trolling. Nothing else explains how you justify this as fact.
You have some catching up to do.✌️
Old 12-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
The other 2 amigos should be along shortly to help answer your question
Nailed it haha
Well half right anyways.....so far
Old 12-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
The only thing that carries energy is your shoulder and sometimes that little spot between your eyes.
Thats a quality statement that does nothing to support anything
Old 12-03-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
If anybody has some catching up to do, it's you. You're pushing so much BS on here it's getting aggravating.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:

How many grizzlies were shot in Alberta last year? How many of you even had a tag???

You guys do realize this is about penetration, at least thats what I got from the op.

Fwiw, I doubt anyone would choose a 6.5 Grendel over a 300 magnum if they were grizzly hunting, but being that most of us on the forum live in Alberta I dont understand why it always has to come back to grizzlies. Ill bet 99% of the people on this forum havent even seen a grizzly in real life. Ive seen a total
of 5 in my life, and one was in the park. Never once did I wish I had a 300 magnum when I came across a grizzly.

The topic is about penetration, maybe leave the grizzlies alone since theyre protected.
I am likely in the minority of the posters, but I have held a grizzly tag in NW BC. and I have had to stop a charge. The .338" bullet struck the throat, and lodged in the rear hip, after traveling the length of the bear. The second shot broke both front shoulders as the bear turned. There is no way that I would have traded my 338x8mmremmag for any 6.5 cartridge. I have also taken shots on elk with my 7mmstw , that I would not have taken with my 6.5x55. My 6.5x55 might have done the job at those shot angles, but I knew the 7mmstw would do the job.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Nailed it haha
Well half right anyways.....so far
Wanna guess who else never misses a 6.5 Creedmoor thread even though they never owned one?

Ill give you a hint, you make one of the three amigos!

Cant see the pot while youre hiding in the kettle hey?

Lol.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Banned

Nothing new will come from this thread, might as well be politics or indians harvest rights.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am likely in the minority of the posters, but I have held a grizzly tag in NW BC. and I have had to stop a charge. The .338" bullet struck the throat, and lodged in the rear hip, after traveling the length of the bear. The second shot broke both front shoulders as the bear turned. There is no way that I would have traded my 338x8mmremmag for any 6.5 cartridge. I have also taken shots on elk with my 7mmstw , that I would not have taken with my 6.5x55. My 6.5x55 might have done the job at those shot angles, but I knew the 7mmstw would do the job.
Prime example of when to use a magnum rifle. Id use my Creedmoor on elk while still hunting, which is the intent I had for the rifle when I bought it, still hunting. If I were to come across a charging grizzly while still hunting Id much rather have my Creedmoor than a can or seasoning spray.

A 26 Nosler hits like the hammer of Thor, and will easily break the shoulders of a moose, its a 6.5 projectile.

With these 6.5 threads, common sense plays as an important roll as it does when using any other caliber. Its best to leave the what ifs out, especially if they dont apply.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Nothing new will come from this thread, might as well be politics or indians harvest rights.
For sure ! SC has been spouting "facts" on here for months under the guise of
teaching us something. Gad, he has'nt bought anything to the table that most of us didn't already know.. and a lot of stuff we know better.
Time to wrap up the bs ..entertaining as it is. May be better for him for him to turn to Evangelism.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Prime example of when to use a magnum rifle. Id use my Creedmoor on elk while still hunting, which is the intent I had for the rifle when I bought it, still hunting. If I were to come across a charging grizzly while still hunting Id much rather have my Creedmoor than a can or seasoning spray.

A 26 Nosler hits like the hammer of Thor, and will easily break the shoulders of a moose, its a 6.5 projectile.

With these 6.5 threads, common sense plays as an important roll as it does when using any other caliber. Its best to leave the what ifs out, especially if they dont apply.
If I were to come accross a charging grizzly,,,is that one of the what ifs we are to leave out that dont apply?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Okay let's try an easy explanation. If I gave you the choice of getting hit with a baseball bat made of balsa wood or one made of Maple (same guy swinging both) Wich would you choose? This making sense at all?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Yes a 26 Nosler will break the shoulders on a moose or elk, but a 26 Nosler isn't a 6.5 CM. or 260rem, or a 6.5x55, which all have comparable ballistics, and perform similarly on game. I personally like to carry a cartridge that will handle any game that I encounter, and pretty much any situation that I might encounter, so while I feel comfortable carrying a 260rem, or 6.5x55 for deer or or moose where I am not likely to run into a grizzly, I carry my 7mmstw even when hunting sheep, because if I am ever charged by another grizzly, I feel confident that it will stop a charge. And I don't mind carrying the extra weight, in that situation. And I have seen a couple of dozen grizzlies while hunting sheep or elk in the mountains.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:26 PM

I love my 6.5 but every deer I have shot with it has ran at least 50-100yds before going down, 300 Win mag, not so much. I hate following blood trails through the bush...
Old 12-03-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The grizzly or brown bear issue came up because the op compared a great large /dangerous animal round to a nice solid deer cartridge and tried to say they were equal. Thus the comparison sane people brought forth. It does not matter if they have or have not seen one, only that they know what cartridge they would want if they needed one, but you already know their line of thought as well as the reasoning behind it, but gotta love ANOTHER CM/Grendel thread with a different twist, BTW,,,wheres Charlie
If Ive seen five grizzlies this year alone, all within rifle range, all while packing a rifle, none of which were in a park, does that make my opinion more credible than those that havent? Cause I have. And it was a pretty normal year.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:

10 or 12 years ago I sat on a hill in a drainage south of the Panther and watched 6 different grizz from where I was sitting (boar putting the run on a sow and 2 cubs right thru where we broke camp 1 hour previous as well as 2 separate bears within two or three miles out feeding). 300 for me
Old 12-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
I love my 6.5 but every deer I have shot with it has ran at least 50-100yds before going down, 300 Win mag, not so much. I hate following blood trails through the bush...
Glad to see you back skytop. Any new interesting stuff coming out of your shop?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Okay let's try an easy explanation. If I gave you the choice of getting hit with a baseball bat made of balsa wood or one made of Maple (same guy swinging both) Wich would you choose? This making sense at all?
That makes no sense.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yes a 26 Nosler will break the shoulders on a moose or elk, but a 26 Nosler isn't a 6.5 CM. or 260rem, or a 6.5x55, which all have comparable ballistics, and perform similarly on game. I personally like to carry a cartridge that will handle any game that I encounter, and pretty much any situation that I might encounter, so while I feel comfortable carrying a 260rem, or 6.5x55 for deer or or moose where I am not likely to run into a grizzly, I carry my 7mmstw even when hunting sheep, because if I am ever charged by another grizzly, I feel confident that it will stop a charge. And I don't mind carrying the extra weight, in that situation. And I have seen a couple of dozen grizzlies while hunting sheep or elk in the mountains.
Again, another situation where a 260rem, creed, or Swede wouldnt be on my list of rifles. Id feel totally cozy packing my 280ai though.

Just because it wouldnt be my first pick I have no doubt any of the three little 6.5s would kill even a grizzly, the fact is with a charging grizzly sometimes picking your sweet spot is not so easy. Killing elk or moose or sheep would be a different story.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If Ive seen five grizzlies this year alone, all within rifle range, all while packing a rifle, none of which were in a park, does that make my opinion more credible than those that havent? Cause I have. And it was a pretty normal year.
It was a what if, so nope, no more credible, within rifle range,, thats about 900 yards for your CM,,,but we all missed you Charlie glad you came to see the mess
Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM

Dam,,, Did the 308 caliber line up get cancel this season.

That's why I hate having after supper naps,,, I always miss out on the sad news every time. Ha
Old 12-03-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It was a what if, so nope, no more credible but we all missed you Charlie
There is no what if. If you want to start tallying up grizzly sittings Im game. You start. This discussion is garbage. Its guessing at its finest.

And none of them were further than 200 yds and two of them were within bloody bow range.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:

When I brought that comparison about it has nothing to do with actually hunting them or even self defence ( i do have some experience ) it is just a relavent comparison of where the comparison between the two falls apart again im a fan of both cartidges.

Weight and mass play a big role in bullet performance that often gets forgotten when crunching numbers
Old 12-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There is no what if. If you want to start tallying up grizzly sittings Im game. You start. This discussion is garbage. Its guessing at its finest.

And none of them were further than 200 yds and two of them were within bloody bow range.
Musta seen that CM and run for their lives
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Musta seen that CM and run for their lives
Come on, dont be shy.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ill take the one with the least amount of sd please! Do you know which one that is?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:54 PM

Yes they will penetrate same given same impact velocity and construction(ie; rate of expansion).

Another misguided anwser. The heavier bullet has more momentum than the lighter one... but you don't believe that.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Ill take the one with the least amount of sd please! Do you know which one that is?
Based on this thread the Maple may suit you better. See if the saying "knock some sense into them" has an any real truth to it.
Closed Thread