Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 AM

Default Stone Sheep or Fannin

Any recommendations for good Stone or Fannin hunts? Try to plan a hunt for my 40th bday in 5 years and am strongly considering pinching extreme pennies for a stone hunt as its always been my number 1 on my bucket list. May settle for a dall though because of the prices.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Any recommendations for good Stone or Fannin hunts? Try to plan a hunt for my 40th bday in 5 years and am strongly considering pinching extreme pennies for a stone hunt as its always been my number 1 on my bucket list. May settle for a dall though because of the prices.
My neighbors have awesome Stone Sheep. Dark coloured rams and a great success rate.
It is however going to run you quite a bit more then a Dall or Fannin in the Yukon or NWT.

Quintin is his name, they own Gundahoo in BC.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
My neighbors have awesome Stone Sheep. Dark coloured rams and a great success rate.
It is however going to run you quite a bit more then a Dall or Fannin in the Yukon or NWT.

Thanks for the info. I understand a stone will run a lot more than a dall, that's why I may just book a dall hunt instead and possibly add a caribou or something on to.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Thanks for the info. I understand a stone will run a lot more than a dall, that's why I may just book a dall hunt instead and possibly add a caribou or something on to.
Ravensthroat is a good option for a dall/caribou combo. Nice people as well and you may be a getter price as they just acquired that area last season. Been in the business quite a while however
Old 01-18-2019, 08:57 AM

In British Columbia it's Scoop lake or Gundahoo. Further north Yukonstone outfitters is miles ahead of anyone else. For dall sheep in the NWT Gana river is as good as it gets. That goes for all of the NWT outfitters.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

I'd second that recommendation. Great outfit and beautiful part of the province. I've hunted sheep in their area and neighbouring areas and love it up there.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:42 AM

If your not trying to complete a slam or have your heart set on a stone. Go on dall hunt with a quality outfit. You could do a dall plus couple years later do a bou hunt. Or combo it. For less then a stone hunt.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:10 PM

would be dall for me , im kinda spoiled I can hunt stones every year