Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 04:22 PM

Default Any Experience With Teepee Tents Here

Hey fellas - I've been seeing some of the cool kids using these with small wood stoves. Have any of you lot tried them out? Any impressions you'd care to share?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:52 PM

I have a seek outside 6-man tipitent. It’s ULTRALIGHT for the amount of space inside, came with a titanium wood stove. I think the whole package weighs around 6.5 lbs. there’s enough space inside for three guys with gear plus the stove. I’ve used it on elk and bear hunts, and love it.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 PM

I have a Tigoat 7.5 with the carbon pole, with the lite outdoors titanium stove, great set up for 2 guys with lots of room for gear
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM

Liteoutdoors Plateau 5 with their titanium stove.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 08:15 PM

Default tipi

Looking at the same setup. Looks awful comfy. what is it like with no floor? Do you just shovel it down as far as possible and then throw a ground sheet down?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Tipi

Just purchased a seek cimmaron and a LiteOutdoors 18” stove. Excited to use it this fall.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 PM

If the ground is damp or wet or snowy you will get condensation build up on the tipi materials. If your car full to not rub or bump the material it isn’t a problem. Once you get the fire going it dries out from the top down to about two feet from the bottom but as soon as the cools off inside a bit it starts building up again. If you are serious about cold weather tipi camping the inside liner helps a lot. I am test out some new floor in mine this week we will see if it helps with warmth and condensation. This will be the first time with a floor.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 PM

My sons and I have a Seek. It’s been sheep and goat hunting a few times. Lots of room but always get it bigger than what they say ( like all tents, ours is a 6 man and sleeps 3 very comfortably ). Buy the inside mess to help with condensation and I had a custom made lite weight floor made up. Having the titanium stove is a bonus for those wet or snowy days. And if u r stuck in camp for a day due to weather it sure helps out. None of this is cheap but does last and worthwhile over the years.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:38 AM

I've got a Seek Outside Cimarron and an SXL titanium wood stove which pack very well and have been in use for a couple of seasons now.

I really like how this tipi stands up to wind versus a typical tent.

I bought a half mesh with it because my wife won't sleep on the ground - afraid of bugs etc. I've never really had an issue with this on hunting trips.

Get more paracord than you think you need because it is nice having the sides guyed out - less rubbing on the wall and getting wet / knocking off frost etc.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:35 AM

Default floor

Would a $10 tarp with cut out for stove as a floor not solve the condensation problem?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:58 AM

I also have the Liteoutdoors Plateau 5. Great for 2 with a ton of gear, or 3 with minimal gear. The stove keeps it very warm inside, but you can only get enough wood in it to maintain a burn for about 1-2 hours. Expect to wake up cold. Sure is nice to hang out in a tent with a stove at the end of a long cold day. It get's warm enough to dry out wet clothes too.

The tarp idea would not solve the condensation issue. The only way to solve the condensation issue is a full liner setup, or stop breathing.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 AM

Well thanks for all the replies, boys. I have some researching to do. The only real reservation I have about them (and I am hoping one of you guys can dispense with it) - is pounding tent pegs in winter.

I have never tried it! I used to get by with my old four season Kelty and usually there was enough weight in it with the gear to keep it from blowing away - I never staked it at all in the winter!

It looks like you guys don't have any issues at all with frozen ground. I really want to get back into winter camping. I have all the gear but stopped doing it several years back. It's time to get back outside.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:59 AM

If weight isn’t an issue use large nails/spikes you can pound them into frozen ground no problem
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM

I’m going to suggest going a different direction. Hilleberg Nallo. The big drawback as compared to a tipi is that you can’t put a stove in, but as far as 4-season tents go, they are the best in the business.

I’ve owned my Hilleberg Nallo for 3 years and have had nothing but great things to say about it. We always camp above tree line when sheep hunting, and this thing will stand up to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswg View Post
The only way to solve the condensation issue is a full liner setup
Could anyone elaborate on what this is?
thanks
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 AM

Depending on the type of hunting you do and the camp spots you select, these puppies will be one of the best purchases you ever make. Seek outside should have me on the payroll for the amount of friends and clients that I have pushed towards their product. I agree with the previous post regarding true four season tents if you plan to camp above treeline and are not going to have any wood to burn, but below treeline these things are tough to beat.

Biggest things to consider is how many people you intend to have in camp. I own the seek outside redcliff and it is a palace for 3 guys and a stove (although we have done 4 and a stove by keeping gear under a tarp as a vestibule). We did get my brother in law the cimmeron for christmas last year (just a smaller version of the same tent) and it is awesome for two guys and a stove. The one nice thing about the Redcliff is the ability to stand up in the middle, but you do pay a little bit of a weight penalty for it. The larger footprint also can make finding a suitable campsite slightly more difficult. Personally, I love the Redcliff (and more importantly so does my wife in the summer), but when it is just my brother-in-law and I we take the Cimmeron.

I personally prefer the pyramid style vs a true tipi just because when you guy it out it gives you a slightly better layout and more useable space. You certainly lose a bit of wind efficiency with a pyramid, but our tent has been in 80km gusts on the side of a mountain and handled it with no issues (not that I look to replicate the experience). The reality is that if you choose your camp locations well you can usually mitigate any potential downside to the pyramid design.

Little bit on stove's....it is unbelievable to have the ability to dry out your clothes every night and stoke the fire in the morning, but if you are coming from a wall tent background don't expect the same experience. These will burn truly hot for 20-30 minutes in average conditions. I went ahead and purchased the Lite Outdoors stove from Brendan in Lethbridge to save some cost, and am generally happy with it. This could be a good option for you because the Seek Outside stoves are significantly more expensive. Having said this, the Seek Stove's do perform significantly better, and after seeing my Brother-in-law's in action I have since upgraded. That is not a knock on the Lite Outdoors product in any way, but I have come to realize that whether it is binoculars, packs, or tents you generally get what you pay for.

By all accounts Kifaru also makes a great product, but you truly cannot go wrong with Seek Outside.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 AM

One thing to note: These are not canvas tents, don't expect them to be. They are not durable like canvas, and are not as warm.
That being said, they are exceptionally light in comparison.
They are nice for layout.
They set up easy
Get way bigger than you need. Especially if you have a cot. You need to be much further away from the walls with a cot.
They don't retain heat at all.
They pack up great, light weight, and have lots of room. But don't treat them like a canvas tent. Also they will not last nearly as long as a good wall tent.(I know some will say they will, but I still have a wall tent that was my grandfathers, and he bought it in the early 70s)
I have a tepi, and a cabela's alaknak, and two different canvas tents. If you use them for there purpose they are fantastic, just don't expect one to do the others job.
Also you need to remember there are center poles in most of these, it can be a pain in certain situations, so be carefull.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Here is a pic of my set up, tigoat 7.5 with titanium stove from lite outdoors, opps must resize my stove pic

tigoat tent 2.jpg
Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 PM
Banned

Does anyone have any experience with the Megahorn Teepee with Wood Stove Jack (4P) Outer Tent?

One of the more affordable tipi tents, just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of them.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:48 PM

One other thing to consider is can u find a flat enough area to set it up especially sheep hunting. Our seek tent takes up a 13 foot diameter area vs out 3 man hiiliberg Nalo which takes up a fraction of that
Old 01-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Seek Outside Redcliff with the Ti XL stove owner here. Previously I would just camp in an MSR Hubba during October and November hunts and deal with the suck of wet and cold as part of the game, so I speak as someone who is not coming from a canvas wall tent or a trailer. With that said, I can't believe I went out without a hot tent before. The stoves can get the tent so toasty warm after a long day and it's such a nice dry heat that it zaps that chill out of your bones. As others have said it dries gear which is really nice. Best thing is first light mornings though. The night before I get some water, my coffee cup and a Starbucks Via ready to go. I set my alarm early, lean out of my bag and throw some small seasoned wood and kindling into the stove along with an aluminum fire starter brick. I put my metal coffee cup with water right on the stove and climb back into the bag to sleep for another half hour. I wake up to boiling water, pour the instant coffee in and viola, piping hot coffee before get up and I barely had to leave my bag to get it. Plus the tent is already warm and I can get dressed in warmth now and best of all no more frosty, cold crunchy boots in the AM.

I had screens sewn in because I thought I might use this with the wife and kid during summer camping as well, but I find there is no advantage during moderate temperatures. I just use my roof top tent if truck camping or my backpacking tent and a decent sleeping pad and bag is all that's really needed. I might remove the screens myself as they just kind of get in the way so I wouldn't recommend them.

I did get the half nest which I would recommend. I don't enjoy the thought of bugs crawling on me while sleeping so I enjoy it on the September hunts when the nocturnal creepers are still out, but the lows justify the use of the stove. Also, paired with a tarp it makes a nice light backpacking shelter option as well.

Word of caution though, the ti stoves get unbelievably hot and you really must use caution moving around the tent when it's going. I've already burned a hole through some fairly expensive outer layers which was a bummer and it just takes a moment to happen.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Default Its a little extra work, but totally worth it

I have been using a small army surplus wood stove I bought off amazon for $80 and a very large tarp set up as an A Frame with the ends sealed off with triangular shaped panels. Kind of a DIY set up but it works fantastic and was very inexpensive. No center pole necessary. Just need 2 trees @ 8' high or more for center ridge line.

If you ever head south to the US you could order a Tepee tent from Sportsman's Guide. Guide Gear Teepee Tent, 10' x 10' is $110.USD.

I ordered one and had it shipped to a postal outlet in Eureka Montana and will pick it up next time we visit Fernie. Its only an hour to drive down. I know you get what you pay for but I thought it would be worth trying out on this years spring turkey hunt.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Seek Outside Redcliff with the Ti XL stove owner here. Previously I would just camp in an MSR Hubba during October and November hunts and deal with the suck of wet and cold as part of the game, so I speak as someone who is not coming from a canvas wall tent or a trailer. With that said, I can't believe I went out without a hot tent before. The stoves can get the tent so toasty warm after a long day and it's such a nice dry heat that it zaps that chill out of your bones. As others have said it dries gear which is really nice. Best thing is first light mornings though. The night before I get some water, my coffee cup and a Starbucks Via ready to go. I set my alarm early, lean out of my bag and throw some small seasoned wood and kindling into the stove along with an aluminum fire starter brick. I put my metal coffee cup with water right on the stove and climb back into the bag to sleep for another half hour. I wake up to boiling water, pour the instant coffee in and viola, piping hot coffee before get up and I barely had to leave my bag to get it. Plus the tent is already warm and I can get dressed in warmth now and best of all no more frosty, cold crunchy boots in the AM.

I had screens sewn in because I thought I might use this with the wife and kid during summer camping as well, but I find there is no advantage during moderate temperatures. I just use my roof top tent if truck camping or my backpacking tent and a decent sleeping pad and bag is all that's really needed. I might remove the screens myself as they just kind of get in the way so I wouldn't recommend them.

I did get the half nest which I would recommend. I don't enjoy the thought of bugs crawling on me while sleeping so I enjoy it on the September hunts when the nocturnal creepers are still out, but the lows justify the use of the stove. Also, paired with a tarp it makes a nice light backpacking shelter option as well.

Word of caution though, the ti stoves get unbelievably hot and you really must use caution moving around the tent when it's going. I've already burned a hole through some fairly expensive outer layers which was a bummer and it just takes a moment to happen.
This is very good info. Heading on my second sheep foray this year probably. You’ve convinced me to buck up and get the right set up. Thanks
Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Could anyone elaborate on what this is?
thanks
Look at the SeekOutside tipis. They come with a full or half liner option to reduce condensation issues.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Would a $10 tarp with cut out for stove as a floor not solve the condensation problem?

I tried this on a bear hunt and it was super irritating - super loud with every movement made in the sleeping bag (or if you have an annoying 11 year old that has to **** every ten minutes all night).

I solved that by getting a big sheet of tyvek and use that when we’re hunting out of the truck. To save weight, when we’re backpacking, we don’t have a floor at all.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Well I liked to post about the lite outside tents, so now I ordered one, our group is getting bigger now, so 2 guys in each tent will be better for all,, and if only 3 guys go, then we have a kitchen tent, so 2 tents under 10 pounds, ( 5 pounds each) is the ticket for US, plus now we have 2 titanium stoves, from lite outside
Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM

I am back from 4 days of ice fishing with the 16 man seek outside tipi. Couple things I have been playing with. First is putting a heavy painters Polly down under the floor. Second is using 24”x24” foam tile for the floor. Then a 48”x48” fire proof blanket under stove on top of floor. First night it was -37 without the wind chill. Warmest it got in 4 days was -17. Things I still need to try improve are getting a almost full liner built. The area that has no liner get interior condensation snow fall and it’s a pain in the A. I am also going to try work on a dome that sits about 8’ up and blocks off the top 3 feet peek as that is your major heat loss because there is no liner up there.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I’m going to suggest going a different direction. Hilleberg Nallo. The big drawback as compared to a tipi is that you can’t put a stove in, but as far as 4-season tents go, they are the best in the business.

I’ve owned my Hilleberg Nallo for 3 years and have had nothing but great things to say about it. We always camp above tree line when sheep hunting, and this thing will stand up to anything.

I have a Nallo 4 GT and do run a stove in it.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:21 PM

Nallo GT tigoat setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53B9C252-454E-4356-8843-D4AF943D51FA.jpg (42.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Nallo GT tigoat setup

Good to know. Thanks for the share.

What are you using for insulation around the chimney to prevent it from melting the tent?

As an interesting aside, who here remembers the Hunter Conservation Course in the ‘90s teaching that this should be an asbestos liner?