Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
I have an Old timer, by uncle Henery. You know the one. It was sold at Canadian tire in the 80’s, has the useless touch up stone in its little keeper on the sheeth. Anyway I have had it on my hip for 30 years. It has some how taken a slight curve that perfectly lines up with my hip, its weird, maybe too many naps, or a couple slip and falls while hunting? It has a super hard blade that is difficult to sharpen but is wicked sharp when done right. I love it. My wife just got me a Benchmade bushcraft knive for my birthday. S30v steel, pretty, nice and sharp and by all accounts my last knife. That will be my new knife from now on. I thought i was ready to let go of my old timer untill I realized i had dropped it on one last hunt. When I got home and realized what had happened I went into full blown panic mode. It was really quite pathetic as it was just a knife, 20-30 bucks maybe. Well i drove the hour and a bit to where I parked and there it was in the snow. Picked it up and instantly all was right again. I’ll have my new knife on my hip this year and retire my old knife to my gun cabinet-maybe. Uugh, decisions. Stupid knife.
Tullfan
Made by Schrade weren't they? I know I still have an old one somewhere that I broke the tip off of back in the 70s prying with it. Rexall Drugs used to sell them in Peace River back in the day. Good solid knives.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:45 AM

You are correct it is made by Schrade. Thank you. I had forgotten that.
Tullfan
Old 10-05-2018, 12:31 PM

I have several built by leclair knives out of edmonton, built to my specs with the steel i wanted and the wood i wanted.
These two are the best i have ever used.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:55 PM

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item....%2Easp%3Fc%3D8

Best knife I have ever used, has all the attributes a hunter would need. Won't chop wood, but that what a camp knife is for. This will gut, skin, cape, and hold an edge. Easy to clean, and feels great in the hand. Holds a superior edge, and easy to maintain.

The spruce
Old 10-05-2018, 05:01 PM

I have one of these from Leevalley. Knife and axe acquisition syndrome obviously. Can skin with it if you have to. I love it. Paid $175 a few years back. Up to $215 now. http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,44728,44448
Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Check out the Enzo scandi grind knives (Finland).

You can get them in 01 or stainless G10 steels, workwearcanada.com carries them in micarta handles, curly birch or pick up a blank and make your own handle.

While back I bought a Fallkniven F6 blank and custom fitted it with a forest green micarta handle as a gift for my good hunting buddy. It's his favourite knife.

http://www.workwearcanada.com/produc...fm?product=305

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Enzo knife is a superb blade. My friend in Austria build himself a knife using that blade. Its made by Brisa of Finland. I may consider it but I would like a slightly fancier handle.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I have one of these from Leevalley. Knife and axe acquisition syndrome obviously. Can skin with it if you have to. I love it. Paid $175 a few years back. Up to $215 now. http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,44728,44448
I also have carried one of these for many years!
Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Check out the Enzo scandi grind knives (Finland).

You can get them in 01 or stainless VG10 steels, workwearcanada.com carries them in micarta handles, curly birch or pick up a blank and make your own handle.

While back I bought a Fallkniven F1 blank and custom fitted it with a forest green micarta handle as a gift for my good hunting buddy. It's his favourite knife.

http://www.workwearcanada.com/produc...fm?product=305

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Correction in order-mean't to say VG10 stainless & Fallkniven F1 which is the "downed pilot" standard carry for the Swedish airforce.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-06-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
That Enzo knife is a superb blade. My friend in Austria build himself a knife using that blade. Its made by Brisa of Finland. I may consider it but I would like a slightly fancier handle.
By fancier, this outfit carries a great range of carbon, stabilized wood, G10 etc:

https://www.texasknife.com/vcom/prod...fb2008e600911c

Depends on whether you want to build your own-for me it gives an already quality knife a character feel to an already superior tool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10-06-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Creeky, you get it....If you have an ENZO you know exactly what I am saying....
Good choice....

What's your favorite knife gray beard?

Old 10-06-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Russel belt knife

Have had the same russel for 35 years. Can skin a whole moose before touching it up. Now my son carries one as well.i believe it won a design award back in the 50s or 60s.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Banned

Best "hunting knife" is right here. Also the best bush knife.

http://www.workwearcanada.com/knives/

Bark River Aurora 2

Old 10-06-2018, 11:06 AM

One hell of a knife for skinning and anything else is a serrated cutco surprisingly.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
What's your favorite knife gray beard?

Fantoni;
Field dressed 2 elk and 2 WT deer.....There was enough to do one more deer on the same edge.

With 20 strops each way it was back to shaving sharp.....

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/9550/kni...ng-knife-black

A tiny one I love is my Fallkniven WM1
http://www.bushcraftcanada.com/fallk...cfm?product=28

For chitz and giggles, a couple of years back, I field dress a deer with a Swiss Army Knife....including cutting off the legs with the enclosed saw....worked just fine......

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw.../dp/B01M1OX9F0

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 10-06-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:47 PM

I have a Katz knife, love it. Will keep on cutting with minimal touch.

not cheap but happy of my first "Better" knife.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 PM

If I was doing my last ever knife I get a custom made by someone like Ed Storch. I use S30V,or VG-10 metal and get exactly what I wanted.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
You are correct it is made by Schrade. Thank you. I had forgotten that.
Tullfan
Mine only says Schrade on it, my friend has one that looks close to mine but about 10 years newer is an uncle Henry
Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 PM

I’ve got a condor kephart that I think is great. Reasonably priced. Nicest sheath I’ve ever seen come with a knife and although it’s only done 2 deer , I think lll be using it for a long time. Feels like a nice old style knife. Easy to get shaving sharp. I picked mine up used on kijiji for super cheap but they’re not very expensive on amazon either. Won’t disappoint
Old 10-06-2018, 10:26 PM

I am a fan of the knives made by Carothers performace. Hard to buy as he is a small volume custom maker, and the knives are not exactly cheap. I have his edc2 in 3v steel, the heat treat is run to a very high rockwell hardness. Still relatively easy to sharpen, and it takes a fantastic edge.

Some of the custom makers doing the exotic steels have some great edge retention but they are not the easiest to sharpen when run at high rockwell#s. Phil Wilson and big chris make some very nice knives in steels that perform well. There are some huge gains in edge retention to be had by going to a big named custom, although a havalon with replaceable blades never needs to be sharpened.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:50 AM

If you want the “ultimate” hunting knife your talking custom. I’ve had some, still got a few. You can choose every component in the knife, adjust dimensions and have them build something of their own design or give them your own sketch to build exactly what you think you want.

Now you need to sort out your priorities with blade length, shape, grind and thickness. Figure out what properties you need in a steel for your knife which will depend on your current or future sharpening abilities, what you want to cut and how you want to cut it. Then whittle it down by finding custom makers who builds stuff that you like.

Phil Wilson was mentioned. He’s first class all the way but he uses steels most guys will have trouble sharpening. He grinds them thinner then any other maker which means you better not be to rough with it and he heat treats them to get the absolute most from the steel. That’s not meant to discourage you but his knives require some care. You don’t buy them if your the guy who stabs your knife in the dirt when your not holding it. From what I’ve read is only making 2-3 knives a month. He’s not currently taking orders but still sells a few knives. I’ve got one of his fillet knives and it’s amazing. If you want to try that road send him an email and get in line, they’re worth the wait.

Probably the only factory knife I would recommend is the spyderco southfork. It’s a Phil Wilson/ spyderco collaboration in S90v and from what I’ve read is a great knife.

Nathan the machinist (aka Carothers) was mentioned. I had one of his older fighters in A1 I used for a pig hunting knife. Stuck a lot of pigs with it down in Oz and ended up giving it to one of my old roughnecks down there. He builds nice stuff but what I’ve seen is hard use. He doesn’t grind thin enough to get on my radar for a traditional hunting knife.

Ingram would be worth a look. I had two ordered through him but by the time it was my turn I already had what I wanted from other makers.

Bob Dozier and Dan Crotts made my hunting knives. Dan is Bob’s son in law and manages one of Bob’s shops. His wait time is about 2-3 months compared to Bob’s 3+ years. Dan also does an impeccable job, I have to be very picky to find a flaw on anything he’s built for me. The steel isn’t exotic but the way Dozier grinds and heat treats D2 it’s very good at both cutting flesh and holding an edge. I love a shaving sharp knife and have no trouble sharpening anything but wanted to see how long his edge would last. In 2015 I skinned a bear in the spring and the knife was still perfect so I didn’t do anything to the edge. That fall I gutted and skinned three elk and six deer. The knife still shaved along its entire edge. They’re good enough you won’t ever need a stone in your pack and won’t be struggling with a dull knife.
I leave mine toothy, finished on a 800 grit dmt and stropped with 5 micron diamond paste. You need diamond to properly cut those vanadium carbides and not erode the steel matrix holding them in. Finished that way, sharp enough to plow the hair off my arms they cut flesh and skin effortlessly for a long time.

Now you said you wanted nice wood, there are a ton of options but here are some I’ve owned in wood and other scale material.

African Blackwood

White paper micarta on the bottom, a fairly boring rosewood burl on top

Mammoth ivory, African Blackwood, rosewood burl

Himalayan sheep horn

More of my favorite scale material, mammoth ivory. Imo there’s something very cool about ivory that’s 15,000+ years old. It also gets tacky when wet with blood and your hand doesn’t slide around.

It’s heavy though so go with a tapered tang

Sambar stag

Desert iron wood, one pic from when I bought it and one from this spring which is the only pic of it on my phone.

And now my opinion of the best, most balanced knife I’ve owned yet. I sold it to a member on this forum when I bought that one in Sambar stag. I wasn’t a fan of the blade angle on that straight hunter in stag so I bought the Yukon skinner laying on that bear. It’s very good but I’ll run it through a few more animals before I decide if it’s as good as this next knife.

This skinner I had built in green canvas micarta because I didn’t know if I would like the blade shape. If I knew I was going to like it as much as I did I would of built it in ivory the first time and I would of stopped looking. It was perfect. The ergonomics and size did everything perfectly and I suspect I’ll be having another one built after this hunting season and the Yukon skinner will head down the road. I did all the other things I like, mosaic pins, red liners, jimping and I made the handle longer because I’ve got big hands. I just should of went with ivory and a tapered tang.

Good luck with your search. $2-300 on a nice knife is money well spent. It’ll last a lifetime and make you happy every time you use it.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:13 AM

Nice knifes especially like the mammoth and most Customs I've looked at have been over$ 400 though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Fantoni;
Field dressed 2 elk and 2 WT deer.....There was enough to do one more deer on the same edge.

For chitz and giggles, a couple of years back, I field dress a deer with a Swiss Army Knife....including cutting off the legs with the enclosed saw....worked just fine......

Really like the Fantoni...had look at some of the Fallknivens as a gentlemans folder, ended up (& happy) with a Spyderco Leaf Storm in CPM S30V combination of titanium and G10 scales.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Fantoni;

I too used a SAK much like the one you have pictured and it did work fine. The biggest problem I had was that both the handle and the knife blade are concentric, once the knife got covered in blood it was easy to mistakenly attempt to cut with the back of the blade... and have the knife close on you. I now have a larger one, its got the same tools but the blade locks, if I had to own only one knife it would be this one.

As it is, I have a small collection, and for hunting purposes the Grohmann No1 is my favorite knife. Great design and it holds an edge well enough to skin and quarter a moose without re-sharpening. IMO, on a practical level that's about as good as one ever needs out of a hunting knife. Dunno if it qualifies as "Ultimate" though.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
If you want the “ultimate” hunting knife your talking custom. I’ve had some, still got a few. You can choose every component in the knife, adjust dimensions and have them build something of their own design or give them your own sketch to build exactly what you think you want.

Now you need to sort out your priorities with blade length, shape, grind and thickness. Figure out what properties you need in a steel for your knife which will depend on your current or future sharpening abilities, what you want to cut and how you want to cut it. Then whittle it down by finding custom makers who builds stuff that you like.

Phil Wilson was mentioned. He’s first class all the way but he uses steels most guys will have trouble sharpening. He grinds them thinner then any other maker which means you better not be to rough with it and he heat treats them to get the absolute most from the steel. That’s not meant to discourage you but his knives require some care. You don’t buy them if your the guy who stabs your knife in the dirt when your not holding it. From what I’ve read is only making 2-3 knives a month. He’s not currently taking orders but still sells a few knives. I’ve got one of his fillet knives and it’s amazing. If you want to try that road send him an email and get in line, they’re worth the wait.

Probably the only factory knife I would recommend is the spyderco southfork. It’s a Phil Wilson/ spyderco collaboration in S90v and from what I’ve read is a great knife.

Nathan the machinist (aka Carothers) was mentioned. I had one of his older fighters in A1 I used for a pig hunting knife. Stuck a lot of pigs with it down in Oz and ended up giving it to one of my old roughnecks down there. He builds nice stuff but what I’ve seen is hard use. He doesn’t grind thin enough to get on my radar for a traditional hunting knife.

Ingram would be worth a look. I had two ordered through him but by the time it was my turn I already had what I wanted from other makers.

Bob Dozier and Dan Crotts made my hunting knives. Dan is Bob’s son in law and manages one of Bob’s shops. His wait time is about 2-3 months compared to Bob’s 3+ years. Dan also does an impeccable job, I have to be very picky to find a flaw on anything he’s built for me. The steel isn’t exotic but the way Dozier grinds and heat treats D2 it’s very good at both cutting flesh and holding an edge. I love a shaving sharp knife and have no trouble sharpening anything but wanted to see how long his edge would last. In 2015 I skinned a bear in the spring and the knife was still perfect so I didn’t do anything to the edge. That fall I gutted and skinned three elk and six deer. The knife still shaved along its entire edge. They’re good enough you won’t ever need a stone in your pack and won’t be struggling with a dull knife.
I leave mine toothy, finished on a 800 grit dmt and stropped with 5 micron diamond paste. You need diamond to properly cut those vanadium carbides and not erode the steel matrix holding them in. Finished that way, sharp enough to plow the hair off my arms they cut flesh and skin effortlessly for a long time.

Now you said you wanted nice wood, there are a ton of options but here are some I’ve owned in wood and other scale material.

African Blackwood

White paper micarta on the bottom, a fairly boring rosewood burl on top

Mammoth ivory, African Blackwood, rosewood burl

Himalayan sheep horn

More of my favorite scale material, mammoth ivory. Imo there’s something very cool about ivory that’s 15,000+ years old. It also gets tacky when wet with blood and your hand doesn’t slide around.

It’s heavy though so go with a tapered tang

Sambar stag

Desert iron wood, one pic from when I bought it and one from this spring which is the only pic of it on my phone.

And now my opinion of the best, most balanced knife I’ve owned yet. I sold it to a member on this forum when I bought that one in Sambar stag. I wasn’t a fan of the blade angle on that straight hunter in stag so I bought the Yukon skinner laying on that bear. It’s very good but I’ll run it through a few more animals before I decide if it’s as good as this next knife.

This skinner I had built in green canvas micarta because I didn’t know if I would like the blade shape. If I knew I was going to like it as much as I did I would of built it in ivory the first time and I would of stopped looking. It was perfect. The ergonomics and size did everything perfectly and I suspect I’ll be having another one built after this hunting season and the Yukon skinner will head down the road. I did all the other things I like, mosaic pins, red liners, jimping and I made the handle longer because I’ve got big hands. I just should of went with ivory and a tapered tang.

Good luck with your search. $2-300 on a nice knife is money well spent. It’ll last a lifetime and make you happy every time you use it.

Oooh boy, don't know how a guy chooses which blade when you head out. Simply beautiful knives....in a perfect world I would pick the S90V with mammoth ivory scales.

That rifle is it a take down WWG?

Old 10-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Oooh boy, don't know how a guy chooses which blade when you head out. Simply beautiful knives....in a perfect world I would pick the S90V with mammoth ivory scales.

That rifle is it a take down WWG?

I don’t have many left. I’ve got a personal issue with owning anything I’m not using so I’m down to a pair of hunting knives. It should be three but I don’t have a caper right now. I kept my first custom because I acquired the cash as a safety award and I’m quite fond of it

And I’ve got that Yukon pro

I had a caping knife

But then I saw this one and decided I needed to replicate it with as close to identical sheep horn as possible so I sold my little caper. And got in line for a little dozier sweetwater like this

Then I’ve got my fillet knife and a couple for edc. For edc I’ve got paramilitary 2’s in cts204p, m390 and s110v and the little native 5 in s110v

That covers everything I need right now with a knife.

The rifle is a 1895 trapper. Just a toy and backup gun when I’m bear hunting.

Price wise, you can get a basic (micarta/some wood scales) Dozier or Crotts for about $210-225 usd so maybe $300 by the time it’s here. I sold most of mine in the $200-300 range and the odd use one pops up here and there. Start adding to a basic knife and the price goes up, that green semi skinner I had with the few changes I made cost me $280 usd with shipping from Dan. Ivory will add $200 to any knife but all of those things are aesthetic and not required if you don’t see the beauty or want to pay for them.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 10-07-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Thumbs up

There is a BC knife company that produces excellent knives and l would suggest that you take a look at what they offer. The North Arm knife company is a father/son operation and l can attest to the quality of their hunting knife and filleting knife. They do have a website complete with video displays showing how their knives are produced. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:51 AM

For years my favorite working knife was an "original buffalo skinner", stamped in the blade. Had a blade made in Solingen Germany. My Dad gave it to me in the 60's and I used 35 years... until I lost it in deep snow in the boreal forest. That knife bucked up a few critters and whittled a few camp sticks. Held an edge really good. It looked like the knife in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBS.jpg (79.0 KB, 76 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Banned

oh boy, there are some beautiful knives shown here........trying to figure out if all you guys are just knife snobs, or if there is a reason for spending that kind of money.

seems to me that there are things i'd rather own than a high dollar knife, 'cause after all, how much do you want to spend to get the skin off a critter.

isn't freedom of choice a great thing? my outdoor edge does everything i want for way less money.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
oh boy, there are some beautiful knives shown here........trying to figure out if all you guys are just knife snobs, or if there is a reason for spending that kind of money.

seems to me that there are things i'd rather own than a high dollar knife, 'cause after all, how much do you want to spend to get the skin off a critter.

isn't freedom of choice a great thing? my outdoor edge does everything i want for way less money.
Yes I have four or five Outdoor Edge knives swingblade all that stuff they work great ,my boning knives are Old Hickory great blade and cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Thanks!

I am glad there are so many options and opinions out there and in some way, the Ultimate Knife can be a personal choice, just like the caliber.

Looking around, the most suitable candidate I have found so far is this:

http://www.workwearcanada.com/produc...fm?product=858

Ultra high carbon blade (64 HRC) , elegant handle with not too much flare and a solid European history behind it.

Wondering if anyone has used one.

Yours in good hunting,

Chukar Hunter