Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Default What a waste

Just got my new issue of Ao and while reading the article on no hunting in national parks by duane Radford. it says that parks canada culls between 14-20 elk every year. six are given to first nations. and the rest remain on the landscape for scavengers. and this occurs in late winter early spring. now my problem with this is why can't the donate the meat from the other say 8-14 animals to the food bank. and if they would do the cull in say late november early december lots of that meat could go to needy families especially around the christmas season when money is tight in alot of homes. and if they are culling that many animals i don't think the predators are starving that bad that we need to waste that much meat on wolves,cougars and ravens cause the bears are still hibernating at this time of the year. Some of the best wild meat in the world left on the hillside i just don't get it.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM

They leave them for the predators because contrary to what a lot of hunters feel, Parks canada is in the business of operting a park ofr the public to see wildlife, and predators are included in that.
Through their infiniate wisdom they feel that wolves , coyotes and cougars are as deserving of the same care as the ungulate stock is.
Cat
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM

So why are they 'culling' elk in the park?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM

20 elk in all national parks in Canada or just banff?

I avoid national parks, most feel to me like a poorly run museum. Look but don't touch.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 PM

just banff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
20 elk in all national parks in Canada or just banff?

I avoid national parks, most feel to me like a poorly run museum. Look but don't touch.
Mr. Forest Techur.

Obviously you know a lot about forestry management.

I was taught that the best thing Jasper and Banff could have is a complete burnout of the old growth forest. The artificial habitat created by keeping those nice picture perfect scenes is actually destroying the forest and fauna of the parks.

Do you concur with me?

What they should do is allow a hunting season in the park away from popular tourist destinations!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM

If they are killing and wasting them, then parks Canada or what ever genius is running it should allow at least half of the killed off animals to be taken by the draw system. Then they can still feed the needy and the predators with the rest. Then it's not as big of a waste of good table fare.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=Redneck Renagade;1673952]If they are killing and wasting them, /QUOTE]

They don't think they are wasting them, just feeding "their" pets.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Mr. Forest Techur.

Obviously you know a lot about forestry management.

I was taught that the best thing Jasper and Banff could have is a complete burnout of the old growth forest. The artificial habitat created by keeping those nice picture perfect scenes is actually destroying the forest and fauna of the parks.

Do you concur with me?
What about the millions or possibly billion in property? Hotels, golf courses, ski hills and rv parks condos restaurants. They can't let nature be nature again that's for sure. In for a penny in for a pound.

The best thing they could do is nothing but thats 200years too late. You can't preserve something that is supposed to be continualy changing. By preserving it they are making it unnatural. -this is only my opinion and only a forest centric one. I do believe your right in that they are more concerned with preserving an image or scenery then nature.

I just would like to walk in a direction of my choosing off a trail, make a walking stick and pick berries or mushrooms with my son and dog but parks Canada would have an aneurysm. Thank god for the green zone.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 AM

Default Wasting

Nothing in nature is wasted, just because humans don't get the meat doesn't mean it's not completely used.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 AM

I understand the idea of conservation.

When ted Rossevelt created the idea of National Parks in the US (followed quickly by Canada) the idea was conservation of habitat in its Natural state. The problem is that human habitation was not considered as being part of the natural state and then there were other interferences as well such as fire suppression. In these parks there has been human habitation and hunting for 100's of years and suddenly these are halted, and along with fire suppression leaving an ecosystem to become way out of whack, and then the tourist influx creates its own interference.

It cracks me up that we cannot walk and collect berries in a National Park, but we can ski on it...build a lift chair...clear runs... groom the hills, add lighting etc. and that ios OK.

The irony is that this area set aside with no industry development or harvesting ends up becoming unsustainable!...

By leaving one area alone and maintaining production of natural resources means we have to focus resource extraction and utilisation on other areas.

I would rather see all areas being used but at a lower sustainable scale to maintain a better balance. One oil well prodcues far more economic advantage than a 1000 tourists. for every oil patch job 2.9 other jobs are created. for every tourism job .5 other jobs are created because of differences in pay scales.

I like the Swiss model!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM

i don't agree with the culling of any animals that will be left for the so called predators...in my opinion! Outside of park boundries all these so called predators seem to survive quite well...why can we let them mess with the way mother nature looks after all animals. I find this disgusting that they do this...National park or not..as was said already...food bank should be first on the list if they persist to keep culling and messing with mother nature. The predators will still be in the park doing what they are supposed to do...like take down the old and young as well as the weak ones.
My guess is they are just using the culling as a way of making sure the herd numbers stay low enough within the boundries of the park...the predator excuse is just that...an excuse so the general public will think what they are doing is just fine and dandy...i for one did not know that this was happening.
When did people in need come in second place to predators that get food put out for them and so many people have to rely on the food bank...this makes me sick to my stomach....they should either just leave everyting be that is withing the boundries and let nature look after them as this is what happens outside the boundries...or continue and feed the humans that need the help instead.
This is horrible and disgusting in every way...as far as i am concerned.
This has been most likely going on for years and we the public were left in the dark as i am sure alot of people would feel the same way as i do...how do we put a stop to this...morning coffee has a bitter taste in my mouth this morning after reading this...
What a wastefull and disgusting way of treating nature...but don't get caught with one fish over your limit when you are trying to feed your family...
in my opinion this must be stopped..park or not!!!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 AM

Good-hearted proposal, but gathering the elk in one place, processing, transporting to the city, and distributing 10 elk to the poor through an urban foodbank would cost thousands of dollars. Pretty expensive food for the less fortunate..
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM

I am sure that the gov't should step up and make that happen...if money is getting in the way of feeding our less fortunate verses leaving these animals for wolves and coyotes...well i have a big problem with that. since when did humans become less important than predator types of animals...i know which way i would vote on that one Oko...just saying! I for one would be willing to donate some cash to feed the hungry in our country...there nust be a way of letting nature takes its own course of action if all they are doing is feeding the poor predators who cant hunt their own food...poor things what would they do?

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip

Last edited by Zip; 10-30-2012 at 11:59 AM.