Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Banned

A bit off topic but...and I know basically squat about pheasants but...

Why allow hunting near release sights at all?

I know it provides an opportunity and all that but wouldn't it be better to try to establish a more viable natural population?

Why not simply establish stocked and protected areas so that a few years down the road....pheasants might be found in greater numbers over a larger area?

They seem pretty hardy...I have seen them in fields etc north of the city.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Edited.

I will agree we need to change how we release birds.

I'm sure there is a way, but is there a will.

One possible solution occurs to me. And I stress, possible. It might not work, but I think it's worth a try.

Fence an enclosure, say about ten acres or so, with something like a security fence. Or maybe an Elk fence. Just so long as the openings are large enough for a pheasant but too small for a Coyote or a hunter.
Release the Pheasants in the middle of that.

The Pheasants would work their way into the surrounding country over time, not all at once, which would reduce the draw for all kinds of scavengers, Coyote or two legged.
With less opportunist hanging around there would be a much higher survival rate over the short term at least. Presumably hunters would get the majority eventually, but isn't that the goal?

However, I realize that it would cost a fair bit of change and it's not likely that anyone would be willing to finance such a project.
Not even to evaluate the idea.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 PM

Perhaps these blokes are British and this is the closest they can get to the traditional tower shoot.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
A bit off topic but...and I know basically squat about pheasants but...

Why allow hunting near release sights at all?

I know it provides an opportunity and all that but wouldn't it be better to try to establish a more viable natural population?

Why not simply establish stocked and protected areas so that a few years down the road....pheasants might be found in greater numbers over a larger area?

They seem pretty hardy...I have seen them in fields etc north of the city.
I think that phesants forever have tried this and are doing this. I think the problem is that there has to be good habitat outside the protected area and there is not. Those who make a living on the outside land must also be encouraged to not work some of their land. Acres left for pheasants and hunters at this most often means less income and more inconvenience for those who farm the land.

Those birds seem pretty hardy, but they are not. Healthy birds turn into a left over pile of feathers really quick especially in bad weather when they are forced into the open for food.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Edited.

I will agree we need to change how we release birds.
I agree with this 100% but we also need to change the attitude of those slob hunters described by the OP. I for one do not think those described by the OP are good for hunters or gun owners.

I am starting to think that providing meat for shooters to shoot has nothing to do with hunting. I also think the program as it stands costs more in $$dollars$$ and pubic opinion that it is worth.

There are other birds to hunt other than pen raised pheasants. Your bags may not be as full but there is satisfaction. For those who crave a little more shooting or dog work, I think it is only reasonable that they pay for birds released and privacy.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post

The rest of us need to socially discourage such behaviours. Just because it can be done, doesn't make it right...
Don`t run away from this comment. It is bang on!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I'm sure there is a way, but is there a will.

One possible solution occurs to me. And I stress, possible. It might not work, but I think it's worth a try.

Fence an enclosure, say about ten acres or so, with something like a security fence. Or maybe an Elk fence. Just so long as the openings are large enough for a pheasant but too small for a Coyote or a hunter.
Release the Pheasants in the middle of that.

The Pheasants would work their way into the surrounding country over time, not all at once, which would reduce the draw for all kinds of scavengers, Coyote or two legged.
With less opportunist hanging around there would be a much higher survival rate over the short term at least. Presumably hunters would get the majority eventually, but isn't that the goal?

However, I realize that it would cost a fair bit of change and it's not likely that anyone would be willing to finance such a project.
Not even to evaluate the idea.
I would take it one step farther and say that all the dollars that go to the pheasant release should instead be put to habitat conservation in areas south of the #3 highway.

Folks that want big rooster hunts are more than capable of going to a shooting facility and purchasing birds privately.

One day the politics will not be there for one of my decendants to hunt release roosters not to mention the budget.

We should have the foresight now to invest instead in lands we can cultivate specifically for wild pheasant populations. Even if it means reducing bag limits to 1, or even putting pheasants on a draw system. Long term sustainability should be our goal. Things like what the OP has described should just not happen and it shows us the pheasant hunt in Alberta is broken.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM

This is nothing new. If you lived here (Brooks) you would understand that this is more than regular day routine at the release sites.

This crap ****es us all off. Hell, I remember hearing of two guys being dropped off, laying in the tall grass in wait for the release truck. Get a freakin life!!!

Sorry guys, but I would like to see the release site locations not disclosed in future years. You want to hunt, go find the birds, after all thats what it is all about.

If you want to buy birds, go to the hatchery and buy them that way you wont have any lead pellets to pick out and you wont **** the rest of us off.

Thats my rant for the day.