Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 PM

I like Bushrat's idea of separating the release day from the actual hunt day. I guess that when your depending on volunteer labor, you kind of have to take the free efforts of the good folks whenever you can.
Anyone that follows a truck around waiting for the birds to be released shouldn't really call themselves a hunter. Kind of like calling your dog a wild dog while it's sitting by the table waiting for the scraps to fall.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

The same thing happens when the fish truck comes by.

Complain all you want. This is the government you voted in and love so much.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The same thing happens when the fish truck comes by.

Complain all you want. This is the government you voted in and love so much.
Yes the regulations concerning the release sites could be changed, but the situation would not exist if it weren't for the low lifes that wait to shoot pheasant as they leave the truck.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You're right. Whether or not legalities were broken, it's a poor display of sportsmanship. Sad state of affairs indeed.
X2
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
I like Bushrat's idea of separating the release day from the actual hunt day. I guess that when your depending on volunteer labor, you kind of have to take the free efforts of the good folks whenever you can.
Anyone that follows a truck around waiting for the birds to be released shouldn't really call themselves a hunter. Kind of like calling your dog a wild dog while it's sitting by the table waiting for the scraps to fall.
One must realize of course, that 5 or 6 people waitng on "the chicken wagon" in no way constitutes the majority of the people wwho access these release sites.
Cat
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Banned

Why not have a volunteer standing there for one hour afterwards. No one shoots till he gives the go ahead?

Sure I can see some minor issues, but people will get the point.

Jamie
Old 10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

Default Got a 2nd year bird...

We were lucky enough to shoot a larger 2nd year bird on Saturday. I believe it was previously a farmed bird, but had survived the last winter (albeit a mild one) and was much larger and more wiley than the other we flushed up.
Releases can help. Truck chasers won't.
There are closure times within the regs. All efforts should be made to release birds during closures.
If volunteers are needed, add my name (I've already corresponded with...)

The rest of us need to socially discourage such behaviours. Just because it can be done, doesn't make it right...
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
One must realize of course, that 5 or 6 people waitng on "the chicken wagon" in no way constitutes the majority of the people wwho access these release sites.
Cat
Don't get me wrong Cat, I'm fully aware that there's a ton of great bird hunters out there. Heck, if it wasn't for most of them this program probably wouldn't exist and I think it's important to commend them as well as the volunteers that keep these hunts available. It's the few bad apples that seem to persist in every avenue and spoil things for everyone that irk me.
I just hope that things like this don't turn the great fortunes we have into a lost cause.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM

One can only hope!
Cat
Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Oldman and his friends went pheasant hunting near Brooks last week, and he came back disgusted with the 'hunters' there. His group ad 2 dogs, they split a field and went out.
Let's say they started at a north fence, headed south. Another group joined in and saw them, ran down the west fence to jump ahead of them, so they herded all the birds directly to them. When the group noticed this, they called the dogs back, headed another direction, and the dogless morons did the same thing again.

No sportsmanship there at all, utter idiocy.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Gone Hunting

So I'm sitting here thinking, would I release birds in front of a line of shooters?

Now let's assume I don't know these shooters and I'm only a volunteer.
I'm thinking, no way would I even get out of the release truck till all guns were put away. I don't want to wind up like Dick Chaney.

So why then would a unpaid volunteer release those birds to a firing squad?
Maybe he knows them all and he has agreed to help them fill their freezers.

Is that a possibility or am I just far too suspicious?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

May be a bit too conspiracy theory Keg.....but in some cases not too far off. I am sure the train that follows the release truck knows the guy/gal releasing them and vice versa....if I was driving that truck I know I would be screwing with those lazy azzes that followed me from the hatchery to the release site...

LC
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 PM

It's entirely possible that yer right KR..It makes no sense otherwise!? Then again maybe he's felt threatened by enuff of these kinda lowlifes to just release and get outa the way???
Old 10-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Oldman and his friends went pheasant hunting near Brooks last week, and he came back disgusted with the 'hunters' there. His group ad 2 dogs, they split a field and went out.
Let's say they started at a north fence, headed south. Another group joined in and saw them, ran down the west fence to jump ahead of them, so they herded all the birds directly to them. When the group noticed this, they called the dogs back, headed another direction, and the dogless morons did the same thing again.

No sportsmanship there at all, utter idiocy.
We witnessed the exact opposite.
Actually invited a dogless hunter to join us, and met a group of others at a different site where it was discussed who would go where, etc.
Good sportsmanship all around - except for one instance it was a great week.
Cat
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
So I'm sitting here thinking, would I release birds in front of a line of shooters?

I'm thinking, no way would I even get out of the release truck till all guns were put away. I don't want to wind up like Dick Chaney.

It's quite possible that the trucks follow a regular schedule, and that these low lifes have seen the truck, and have learned the schedule. When you really think about it, what do you expect the driver to do? If he sits and waits for them to leave, they will likely just out wait him. If he leaves with the birds, then he will need to spend even more of his time and fuel to bring them back later on in the day or the next day, and possibly face the same situation. He is supposed to release the birds at that site,so he really doesn't have a lot of options.

I am actually surprised that nobody has stepped forward to defend these people, with the excuse that they aren't doing anything illegal, and that they paid for pheasant licenses, so they are entitled to shoot the pheasants in any way that's legal.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Default birds

Now I'm a Pheasant hunter through & through so don't anyone jump on me for what I say/ask. Unfortunately this forum can be taken different ways by reading things wrong so here it goes. I drove by the Millicent site Sat. afternoon just to see how many guys were actually there still. I was surprised at the amount of guys & all were in the middle of the fields walking around Good for those guys! For the idiots who shot at the released birds, morons in my book (and possibly have an in with the person releasing) but who really knows. I have been out for the last 2 saturdays and got 4 roosters (all wild). The birds are still around but they aren't around as much as they used to be. I have hunted them my entire life mostly without a dog and have been quite successful. Each year the pickings seem to get worse & worse but it's in my blood and I don't think I'll ever quit hunting Pheasants till I physically can't. So I ask to anyone who is/has released birds, have you ever been asked by the release organizers to comment on your findings in the field? Anything you would say or do would help? I would think your first hand advice would be helpful (and I appreciate the deed you do as volunteering for anything is usually thankless by others) but you get a sense of satisfaction. Secondly, is AUB doing the release? Is there anyone on the site that works for them & can initiate some of the changes people here are recommending (Rob?)? I like the fact you could do it similar to the big game hunts out east, Thurs-Sat only & release during the early week to get the birds used to the cover & area. Either way whoever organizes the release needs to hear some feed back (good & bad). I am a member of Pheasants Forever and would love to help out in any way for Pheasants in this Province but even with that I get very little response. I love the fact we have release sites to go to but i steer clear because of the gong show. I think if things were managed better Pheasant hunting could be more enjoyable for all, the bad thing is the cover is being taken away and with that comes fewer birds
Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I would not like to end up like Harry Wittington! That is the dude that Cheney shot. I know a fellow that got a face full of shot at a release site a few years ago. The guy's hunting partner was so caught up in all of the action that he wanted to wait til after the shoot to take his friend to hospital. They're not friends anymore.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
That is the dude that Cheney shot.
Opps,, Yeah HIM!! That's what I meant!! LOL
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
If they released after 14:00 hours when that site is closed , they would not have that problem.
I cannot for the life of me figure out why they release during hunting hours!
Cat
I agree ... two wrongs were done here!

TF
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They should release the birds under the light of the moon
Perfect solution. Release during non-shooting hours. Otherwise they might as well just let these "hunters" come over to the truck and grab what they want. Save ammo.

Orrrrrrrrrrr... they could just stop releasing pen-raised animals altogether. "Hunters" would have to settle for game that can actually survive here. I'm torn as to which solution I prefer. It's similar to introducing bass.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:41 PM

The actions of shooting birds right out of the release truck is pathetic.

Should there be a no hunting period following the release? I think so.

Here is a problem that I have not seen brought up in this thread.

There are other hunters out there that also follow these trucks, Coyotes.

I haven't been to a release site in many years, back then hunting at these sites ended in the mid-afternoon, so the release trucks could put out birds for the next day. A few times I stuck around to photograph the birds being released. Hanging out with the volunteer, I would point out all the coyotes running towards us from all directions, sometimes over a dozen yotes were in sight. The volunteer said that was the norm, the buggers would be there like clockwork, knowing the sound of the truck.

The vast majority of birds that were released in the afternoon were dead by the next morning, usually just a pile of tail feathers remaining.

An afternoon release with an overnight wait period may be futile, the coyotes will get most of the birds before they are available for hunters.

Here is a thought. Have a 1/2 hour no shooting period after a release. Declare the volunteers to be Alberta "Wildlife Guardians". This gives them the powers of enforcement under the Wildlife Act.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The actions of shooting birds right out of the release truck is pathetic.

Should there be a no hunting period following the release? I think so.

Here is a problem that I have not seen brought up in this thread.

There are other hunters out there that also follow these trucks, Coyotes.

I haven't been to a release site in many years, back then hunting at these sites ended in the mid-afternoon, so the release trucks could put out birds for the next day. A few times I stuck around to photograph the birds being released. Hanging out with the volunteer, I would point out all the coyotes running towards us from all directions, sometimes over a dozen yotes were in sight. The volunteer said that was the norm, the buggers would be there like clockwork, knowing the sound of the truck.

The vast majority of birds that were released in the afternoon were killed by the next morning, usually just a pile of tail feathers remaining.

An afternoon release with an overnight wait period may be futile, the coyotes will get most of the birds before they are available for hunters.

Here is a thought. Have a 1/2 hour no shooting period after a release. Declare the volunteers to be Alberta "Wildlife Guardians". This gives them the powers of enforcement under the Wildlife Act.
Every problem has a silver lining. No hunting birds for 4 hours after release, but predator hunting is allowed and encouraged! The pheasant release program will provide the bait!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Edited.

I will agree we need to change how we release birds.

Last edited by Sneeze; 10-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM

All the birds should be released 2-3 weeks before the season, but then again that would make sense. I know when my Uncle raised Pheasants, he would release some birds before and after the season.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Default How's about..

You can't hunt the birds until your hunting party takes out at least one coyote??
Win win!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 PM

It seems really weird to release birds like this,
In Sask here the wildlife federation raises and releases birds. It says on their website that they release in June, but I'm sure they release throughout the season. Where and when is not known and should stay that way.

I was in Kansas early this year, found it interesting that they don't release birds at all, but rather spend their money on pheasant habitat.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry View Post

I was in Kansas early this year, found it interesting that they don't release birds at all, but rather spend their money on pheasant habitat.
Because in Kansas habitat is actually the limiting factor - the birds can actually survive.
Not the case in Alberta. Without a continuous, sustained release program there would be little to no pheasant hunting in the province IMO.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Because in Kansas habitat is actually the limiting factor - the birds can actually survive.
Not the case in Alberta. Without a continuous, sustained release program there would be little to no pheasant hunting in the province IMO.
I would agree. If they released in one large release sometime in the summer you would have an opening day with fat coyotes and healthy hawks.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Default Habitat is key

Its been mentioned before. I think we all know it. But I'd say most of the release areas 50k or more north of Calgary is really a lost cause for establishing a viable population. Releases up there are simply like how we have 'put and take' trout lakes .

Wild birds probably do stand a chance in some areas, mainly in the south, but we need to give land owners Incentive to keep proper habitat.

The key to possible spring or summer releases is serious habitat.
And our province is loosing more and more it seems.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Cat
That should limit the number of approved beatings we're required, as a volunteer community, to dish out.