Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Yeah like I said, gotta do things Apple's way

Android for me.
I have heard rumors that in the very near future all cell phones will share the same plug in size....
Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM

lol... (except apple).

In the near future, we won't need "plugs". There is already a wirelessly charged cellphone.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 AM

There have been rumblings that Apple's falling back into the realm of "normal" companies now that Steve Jobs is gone.

When I was young, the Mac was just that weird computer in the corner of the library that no one used. They got more interesting (if not necessarily practical) with their Imacs in the late 90s. Remember those colorful clam-shell laptops they used to make?

Think it's safe to say the IPhone put Apple on the map again. And kudos for that; the first IPhone left everything before it in the dust. Remember when everyone used to have a Palm?

This latest IPhone 5 is underwhelming though by Apple standards. I'm sure it's a great phone but it's just a phone. It looks just like the IPhone 4 and doesn't change colors or shoot holograms or anything revolutionary. It doesn't stand out.

Apple's lost that Beatnik flare. Now it's just a company.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
lol... (except apple).

In the near future, we won't need "plugs". There is already a wirelessly charged cellphone.
actually the reports I have heard are that apple willbe leading the way.....and that plugs will always remain necessary for certain updates etc. at least for awhile.

this comes from one of my suppliers that deals very closly with building chargers, cords, plugs etc.....so take it for what it is. I have no real first hand knowledge
Old 09-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
actually the reports I have heard are that apple willbe leading the way.....and that plugs will always remain necessary for certain updates etc. at least for awhile.

this comes from one of my suppliers that deals very closly with building chargers, cords, plugs etc.....so take it for what it is. I have no real first hand knowledge
If Apple's leading the way then I don't trust it. USB is already a standard for charging phones and Apple knows it. They're probably trying to create some loopy charger cable for everyone that costs $19.99
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
If Apple's leading the way then I don't trust it. USB is already a standard for charging phones and Apple knows it. They're probably trying to create some loopy charger cable for everyone that costs $19.99
Yep and it's $29.99 for the adapter to use all your old docking systems and stuff!! But I'm guilty!! Just bought 5 iphone 5's for me, wife, and staff. What can I say I'm a sucker for the product. For me they work.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
nope it actually so that a charger you buy in calgary, is the same for the phone you buy in madrid, or the charger you buy in tokyo will work on your phone you have with you on vacation....moving towards all chargers working for all phones and vice versa.

as i have said this comes from a supplier that builds chargers etc.....but who knows.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 AM

The only rumor I've heard that somewhat agrees with what you are saying, was micro-usb. This was last year when every other phone manufacturer did the gentlemen's handshake and agreed to use it as the standard from here on out. BUT, guess who wasn't involved in these talks. Notice how all new phones (except apple) use the same.

Quote:
And another thing that makes me call BS, nobody plugs in to do updates anymore. It's all OTA, why would anyone take a step backwords.

Tell you friend to start selling/manufacturing cordless chargers, /<<this is the next "big" thing in phones/tablets/etc. (I'm not kidding).
Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
The only rumor I've heard that somewhat agrees with what you are saying, was micro-usb. This was last year when every other phone manufacturer did the gentlemen's handshake and agreed to use it as the standard from here on out. BUT, guess who wasn't involved in these talks. Notice how all new phones (except apple) use the same.

And another thing that makes me call BS, nobody plugs in to do updates anymore. It's all OTA, why would anyone take a step backwords.

Tell you friend to start selling/manufacturing cordless chargers, /<<this is the next "big" thing in phones/tablets/etc. (I'm not kidding).
hmmm you may be correct...oh and the latest update for my iphone required a plug in.....as well as my brother inlaw was required to plug his android in for his last update as well...sooo....ya.

I really have no skin in the game or care...just passing along what i have heard.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM

I need to replace my 2 year old phone, and will be going with the Samsung here shortly.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
oh and the latest update for my iphone required a plug in.....as well as my brother inlaw was required to plug his android in for his last update as well...sooo....ya.
The only reason you have to plug in (for updates) is if your battery is under 50% (I just updated my wife's IP4 this weekend).

My nexus doesn't require plug-in unless battery is low.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I need to replace my 2 year old phone, and will be going with the Samsung here shortly.
ditto - bring on the S3!!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Still wouldn't surprise me if the big guys got together again and decided to ding us all extra and call it an upgrade. That wireless charging tech comes to mind. In 2 years phones might not have plug-ins at all.

I like my new Galaxy Nexus but I would have kept the Galaxy S if Samsung, Bell, and Google hadn't abandoned all efforts to keep it up to date. It was a 2 year old phone and still a highly advanced piece of technology. But I couldn't get Google's cloud service to work on that Android version and no one really cared enough to send an update.

So I chose the Nexus with that very thing in mind. It's factory unlocked and doesn't rely on Bell for squat. I'm keeping this one until the next "big thing".
Old 09-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The only reason you have to plug in (for updates) is if your battery is under 50% (I just updated my wife's IP4 this weekend).

My nexus doesn't require plug-in unless battery is low.
my battery was at 100% and it still asked me to plug in..never the less we'll see what happens
Old 09-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
my battery was at 100% and it still asked me to plug in..never the less we'll see what happens
Probably just to ensure the battery doesn't die during the re-flash (lessening the possiblity of bricking it...)
Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Probably just to ensure the battery doesn't die during the re-flash (lessening the possiblity of bricking it...)
agreed...but it was still required
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM

Anyone see this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 PM

LOVE my Samsung!!! Haven't owned an Iphone. No reason, just chose a samsung and haven't looked back
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
Anyone see this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM

Post #4 in this thread: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showp...73&postcount=4
Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 PM

ive tried the s3 and iphone 5.... I went with s3, way more natural to use, it kinda flows where the apple is almost like its out dated or something, choppy and more like a utility phone

Apple is marketing, same with what rim and palm used to be... or motorola razor

its a fad that will blow over... look at alll the other dumb fads out there like white rim sunglasses, huge rims, saying 'epic' about everything,... remember how uncool plaid or those dorky thick rimmed glasses were? Now people wear plaid and thick rimmed dork glasses and thats cool.

want too see a perfect example of cool stuff thats completely blasphemous now? watch a late eighties or early ninetys music video.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Guys....

Iphone 5 first 3 days....over 5million sales

Galaxy s3 first 3 days.....around 600 000

remember apple loves to keep stuff simple and easy to use. So yes it may not be as customizable as a s3 but its shear beauty and ease of use is awesome. And yes it is easy to use! Don't blame the product or chalk it up as crap if you can't figure it out lol
And 27 million people watched the premier of here comes honey boo boo on tlc....what's your point? Just because there are 5 million idiots out there doesn't mean you need to buy something. IPhones were cool 5-6 years ago, but apple stopped innovating. And now it is a second rate smart phone with a cult following..........seriously, you only need one reason to buy an android over iPhone and that is drag and drop!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Yeah Apple is going to lose market share if they don't come up with something that's actually different. And throwing lawsuits at everybody isn't exactly winning hearts and minds either.

Now if they designed a wearable phone or something made of flexible plastic...something that's not a rectangle, then they might have something. Pretty much every other feature is software based and software can easily be duplicated by the competition.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah Apple is going to lose market share if they don't come up with something that's actually different. And throwing lawsuits at everybody isn't exactly winning hearts and minds either.

Now if they designed a wearable phone or something made of flexible plastic...something that's not a rectangle, then they might have something. Pretty much every other feature is software based and software can easily be duplicated by the competition.
Biggest company on the planet, 8,000,000 units sold in 4 days!! They aren't losing anything, anytime soon.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Biggest company on the planet, 8,000,000 units sold in 4 days!! They aren't losing anything, anytime soon.
Don't be too sure. Apple got it's following by being "cool" as well as different. Now they're not really different and without Jobs they might not be cool. Time will tell.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM

Apple is not the biggest company in the world.. Samsung is actually ALOT bigger than apple (open up your iphone (well if you could) and tell me who makes most of the parts lol).

Daily sales mean nothing except there's a bunch of fanboys have slept overnight infront of the stores.. why has apple's stock dropped steadily since the release? who sells more phones yearly?

Apple will always be around... but that's what they said about RIM (blackberry)..
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Default As you can see it's a toss-up

My wife has an Iphone, and I have S2. I doubt either of us would switch phones.

The fact that Samsung can even cut into the cult following of Apple has to tell you something. Flash sure helps.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM

The wife and I just got the new Galaxy 3's

nothing but good things to say so far. still learning it and there is sooo much. I love how thin it is yet has a nice big crystal clear screen. very impressed. alot of our friends who have i-phones are switching over and some that bought the new iphones that are out regret it.

what aps does everyone here like or recommend?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 AM

whats apple going to do thats new now?, jobs is gone.... even before then how much better was 4s than iphone 4?, what are they going to produce iphone 6,7 and 8?

Iphone is 40% of apples revenue ater expenses, it more or less is a one trick pony.... Remember rim? Black berrys used to be cool and where the worlds number one phone now they are just a by-gone fad. same with motorola razr, palm and nokia.

By no means do I think you'd ever be safe shorting apples stock, but at the same time everything has it's day.

Samsung has clearly become a formaidable opponent, the design patent case is a good example.... I have exposure to both phones and can say I'd never mistakethe samsungs ample screen area for apples tiny viewing area and chopyness in processing
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Apple is not the biggest company in the world.. Samsung is actually ALOT bigger than apple (open up your iphone (well if you could) and tell me who makes most of the parts lol).
Daily sales mean nothing except there's a bunch of fanboys have slept overnight infront of the stores.. why has apple's stock dropped steadily since the release? who sells more phones yearly?

Apple will always be around... but that's what they said about RIM (blackberry)..
You are correct Apple is not the biggest co. in the world they are the second biggest co. in the world, Samsung is by comparison a lightwieght sitting at #40.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
You are correct Apple is not the biggest co. in the world they are the second biggest co. in the world, Samsung is by comparison a lightwieght sitting at #40.
apple is no where near the largest company in the world.... they have large margins and growth potential which can justify their share price but as far as revenue goes or assets exxonmobil still holds the cake....at 120 billion plus in revenue per quarter exxon still has the upperhand.... they will have that revenue whether you are driving to the store to buy an iphone or one of its competitors.... apple with revenues in the sub 40 billions on the quarter will never hold a candle to the super majors who post 50-100+ billions in revenues on a product i'm guessing wont go out of style in the next 30 years...oil