Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2012, 05:51 AM

Default oh really

jump up and down all day. dig a well cause if you hold your breath you will die. you cant take potable water from any river in alb. you know that. wake up. there is no lawyer that will touch this one.cmon why even post it
Old 06-09-2012, 06:33 AM

Hmmm, been a while but won't leave this one. That river system is one of the few that Alberta has that supported a good fish population. That water could be made pottable with little treatment. You had all better wake up all right, most especially those that are buying that the oil and gas and the governing bodies are taking care of things for you.
With the new Fisheries Act it isn't even illegal unless you can prove the alteration is permanent, so how's that, and that the fish died as a direct result of "that" oil....

Yup, get the guys out to check if you've got a barbed hook, and let the big companies do as they will.

I love that...the pc's will take action if necessary! When do you think it might be necessary, as soon as the press says so?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
1000-3000 BARRELS!! That is 45,000 to 135,000 gallons!
D'ough

Big time math fail for me...
Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
reread my first post, especially the last line about the bridge. not realy a joke, but yes
It's the way you write.

I couldn't tell whether you were hammering big brother or the folks that are concerned....it wasn't very clear.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Lot of misinformation in the media. Gotta wonder how an "inactive" pipeline can leak that much Oil? Haven't been there, but a reliable source tells me it's just north of the Sundre sewage lagoons, which places it right next to the Red Deer River. Oily residue along the high water mark and it stinks like Hell. Not the first time there has been a problem with that pipeline either. The guys in charge of the clean up efforts seemed to be in the dark about the imminent rise of river levels, as well, given the heavy rainfall forecast. One comment I heard was SPOG looks after the companies very well

Grizz
Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Does anyone have a legal of the well or facility where this line originates. I can then tell you when it was licenced, wall material etc. from Public Data.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Lot of misinformation in the media. Gotta wonder how an "inactive" pipeline can leak that much Oil? Haven't been there, but a reliable source tells me it's just north of the Sundre sewage lagoons, which places it right next to the Red Deer River. Oily residue along the high water mark and it stinks like Hell. Not the first time there has been a problem with that pipeline either. The guys in charge of the clean up efforts seemed to be in the dark about the imminent rise of river levels, as well, given the heavy rainfall forecast. One comment I heard was SPOG looks after the companies very well

Grizz
"inactive" pipelines are the worst it's a pressurised dead leg. ERCB rules that after a year of no flow on a pipeline like this one needs to be either discontinued or abandoned. Discontinuing is depressurising the said segment of line pigging it dry of fluids that lay in low spots of line and corrode over time with a non corrosive gas such as nitrogen and blinding both ends. Then you have to relicense the line to discontinued. Abandon same thing except cut off on either end of line under ground.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Unhappy

wonder what well happen when all the water is poisoned,,,very sad,alberta dont got any water to began with ,now this ,ever year a spill here and a spill there slowly but surely becoming a toxic waste land.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:44 AM

what I find funny is that they didn't even know it was leaking themselves yet have a good idea of how much leaked....

They should have to report it in liters or gallons vs barrels too, that spill in the river could be upwards of 600 000 liters.

The new pipelines aren't any better, they're using steel from china etc. look how many spills transcanadas new line has had allready

Alberta clearly chooses industry over water when it comes to decisions... It's kinda gross when you can't fill up your canteen in the river anymore
Old 06-09-2012, 02:35 PM

These things always get a lot of attention, and for good reason I suppose but it is visible and therefore of utmost concern...there are many higher risk releases getting zero attention because they remain in the subsurface...just keep that in mind when you guage your reaction.

This release will be heavily scrutinized by regulators: ercb, alberta srd and environment, and dfo to name the most prominent ones. As a result of this scrutiny and the affected public, it will be fully remediated and in a few months there will be little residual effect. Our province has many skilled people and good resources to ensure this happens. I'll continue to enjoy my weekend and be happy I don't work at Plains...however, my turn is sure to come around again!

Also, the pipe will be subject to a great deal of integrity testing and failure analysis. Cleanup and repair costs will all be born by Plains and they will also be busy compensating affected landowners. It will all get taken care of. The far worse culprits are service stations.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
These things always get a lot of attention, and for good reason I suppose but it is visible and therefore of utmost concern...there are many higher risk releases getting zero attention because they remain in the subsurface...just keep that in mind when you guage your reaction.

This release will be heavily scrutinized by regulators: ercb, alberta srd and environment, and dfo to name the most prominent ones. As a result of this scrutiny and the affected public, it will be fully remediated and in a few months there will be little residual effect. Our province has many skilled people and good resources to ensure this happens. I'll continue to enjoy my weekend and be happy I don't work at Plains...however, my turn is sure to come around again!

Also, the pipe will be subject to a great deal of integrity testing and failure analysis. Cleanup and repair costs will all be born by Plains and they will also be busy compensating affected landowners. It will all get taken care of. The far worse culprits are service stations.
I agree with what you say but this should be a huge wake up call for this province as there realy isn't a huge surplus of fresh water here witch in turn should mean that alberta shuold have the harshest regulations on pipelines from construction to maintenance and when they must be cleaned out and replaced.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
It's the way you write.

I couldn't tell whether you were hammering big brother or the folks that are concerned....it wasn't very clear.
there are diffrent forms of writing not every thing can be speed read like military manuals.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 PM

There is no making people happy,
The way I see it, no matter what the oil company's do, it will **** all of you people off,
The oil company's are causing global warming with there product.
People are getting ****ed off.
The oil company's have an oil spill,
Everyone gets ****ed off,
Now if the oil company's were to shut down these pipelines and relay them..
The plants would have to be shut down. And production halted. Or at least. Drastically reduced.
Thus the price of oil and gas will go up.. What's Gona happen?
Everyone is going to get ****ed off.

The sad part... All these ****ed off people are the consumers... You're
Lives and our economy revolve around this industry... Why jump all over them... They are doing there best to cope with supply and demand, theyre trying to cope with safety standards, and they're trying to cope with environmental regulations..
Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
.......... Why jump all over them... They are doing there best to cope with supply and demand, theyre trying to cope with safety standards, and they're trying to cope with environmental regulations..
Simple.

You can't drink oil, and you can't drink water contaminated with oil.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:37 PM

It's only a matter of time before something goes wrong, what if that were the Bow river or the north sask? Look at the gulf of mexico....

There are very good standards in canada and the united states, our technological expertise in the oil and gas sector is second to none. There are 8000-16 000 wells drilled per year in alberta without any reportable mishaps and our province looks like a plate of spaghetti when you look at a pipeline map and we build tens of thousands of new homes, lay hudreds of thousands of miles of pipeline every year, build roads, leases, expand plants with for the most part very minor incidents.

As much as everything is pretty safe, if you do any one activity enough the law of numbers will bite you. What happened in alberta this week is symptomatic of our global reliance on and industrialized way of life. We've gone from growing our own food in colonys to extracting and marketing resources to provide an income to buy food.

We are starting to enter the phase where our destruction of our own environment is starting to affect our ability to eat food and drink clean water.

The gulf of mexico is a perfect example, then there's the Danube river that got poisened by the aluminium smelter diyke blow out, FT macmurray is a festering disaster, shell oil and the nigerian delta, siberia, the coast of spain, exxon valdez, saudi aramcos big spill... The gulf blowout only ranked #47 or something on a list of the worlds worst oil spills...

It only takes one screw up to wreck something, the life blood of our civilization has always been water.... Why do you think europe is soo anal about the water and environment? they screwed theirs up well over 100 years ago
Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
"inactive" pipelines are the worst it's a pressurised dead leg. ERCB rules that after a year of no flow on a pipeline like this one needs to be either discontinued or abandoned. Discontinuing is depressurising the said segment of line pigging it dry of fluids that lay in low spots of line and corrode over time with a non corrosive gas such as nitrogen and blinding both ends. Then you have to relicense the line to discontinued. Abandon same thing except cut off on either end of line under ground.
Could be wrong, but I believe it was still an active pipeline, just not flowing at the time of the leak (I.e. not suspended).

Tags
city, drinking, oil spill, red deer, river