Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 PM

Default Lake Trout advice

Hope a few guys can help me out, I am heading to Northern Sask beginning of July to a couple of unnamed lake trout lakes that have very little to no fishing pressure, we have to run a few beaver runs and portage the boat a few times to get to these spots and from what I have been told from my friend that has been to these spots before is that they have produced up to 60 pound lakers(Trust but verify!) and I have only fished for lake trout once before and just ran through my tackle box until I got lucky at shallower depths (I will be using my portable depth/fish finder) but I am mostly set up for walleye and jack related fishing. We will be fishing out of a 16 foot aluminum with no down riggers and trolling and jigging from the boat. I am planning on trying to use a 2-3 oz bottom bouncer (unless told otherwise)to get my equipment down to a deeper depth. The biggest rod I have is an ugly stick approx. 7' long and it says max 15# line weight (I think). For some of you these questions may seem stupid and elementary but would appreciate any advice or feedback so I can be prepared! I have been scouting out The Fishing Hole already and could easily spend $600-$700 dollars with out knowing whether or not I need what my check out cart said! HAHA, I am planning on leaving one rod set up for walleye/jack(other close water bodies that have walleye/Jack)and set up another for trolling for lakers. My questions are as follows, What size of a rod and reel and line weight(50# braided?) should I be using? What type of lures/spoons should I make sure I buy to use and what size and or size of jigs(1/2 oz?) to use? Will using a 2-3 oz bottom bouncer be heavy enough to get deep if I need to while trolling spoons or jigs? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.