Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Default river boat reccomendations

Hey guys, this is my first post so i hope i do everything right. I am looking for some insight to what kind of boat/motor i should buy and have been having trouble finding the right info on google. I am looking for a boat light enough i can drag to the river from my camper so around 100-300 pounds. Ill mostly be fishing small rivers with medium current? The sheep creek in Grande Cache is where i spend most of my time if anyone knows that river. Once i get comfortable boating on the river will want to move to bigger rivers like the muskeg, kakwa, and smoky, all near Grande Cache. From what ive read what im looking for would be a jon boat.....my only issue is that for the size/weight i would like the outboard motor hp seems too low for me to get up curret or shallow spots. Any other info you need to help me just ask, thanks!!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:05 PM

If you're going motorized for Rivers, there is base HP and boat size you'll have to start with. i myself have a 14' Zodiac with a 1985 35HP Johnson with jet pump. The boat is relatively easy to drag around, and you can get wheels for the transom to wheel down to the beach. Just keep it on a boat trailer and launch it with my truck as it is a chore to assemble and pump up each time.

There is a minimum outboard size/HP you need to run a outboard jet. They list a 25 hp Yamaha/Merc 2 stroke as the smallest pump avail, but trust me and get the most HP to size motor you can handle as you'll lose 30% power thru the jet pump. And trust me, You will wish you had an outboard jet once you try to run skinny water! Don't bother even screwing around with a prop.

My setup runs 200 lbs for the boat and 120lbs for the outboard jet. It gets me places the $50,000 jet boats can't go!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:13 PM

I ran a 14' Jon boat with a 2-stroke Merc 25hp with a jet pump. It was plenty of motor for that boat and would easily run in 3" of water. The only crappy thing was the shoe was always the first thing to hit.

Google Alaskan Jet Ranger. A 14' one with a 25hp 2-stroke and pump would get you anywhere you wanted to go. A 2-stroke 25 is a lot lighter than a 4-stroke and no chance to float a valve if it cavitates in the rapids.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Have either of you hit rocks or stumps with your setups? how durable are they, and what would you recommenced if buying new and money isent a factor? Speed also isent a factor im in no rush to get anywhere
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 PM

The motor just kicked up every time I hit a rock or something under the water. 2 years with no damage to the shoe other than a bit of paint worn off.

The hull of a Jet Ranger is designed to funnel water to the pump so there is no cavitation. A regular Zodiac by design allows a lot of air to go under the boat so most will cavitate and in general are not recommended for a Jet pump. A flat bottom Jon boat is also not recommended but mine did just fine. I had plans to cut the floor and transom then add a tunnel to lift the motor up but in the end bought a bigger outboard Jet boat. There are still times I wish that I had my old boat though. Simple is sometimes better.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:49 PM

I've taken a chunk out of the foot. Not in the rapids, but running close to shore next to area showing large boulders of bedrock in calm water. Outboard jumped up almost came off the transom, hung on by one clamp.
You'll learn to read the water through trials and tribulations. Hopefully not do too much damage to you're equipment or yourself.
Alway's remember, Go upstream from where you launch. You can alway's float downstream but not upstream!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 PM

Awesome guys good to hear. I have a 12ft zodiak right now that was passed down from my grandfather...its old and patchy but took it out this summer and held water alright. its got the wood floor and wood transom build in... i think i might just get a jet for that and see how it is. Also what are you guys referring to as the foot?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:04 PM

The Intake Housing. You can research all you need to know here; http://outboardjets.com
Old 10-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Banned

Not to hi-jack your post, OP. What about a freighter canoe? I'm coveting "The Muskrat" 17' from Yukon Freightworks They strongly recommend the use of surface drive motors over jet set-ups. Anyone have any experience with a similar boat?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:23 AM

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CPZ3svFfn0

Tags
jon boat, motor, river, river boat