Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 PM

Default Great idea to keep your fingers warm.

I found somthing that works great for warm gloves.
The last few days I spent a lot of time glassing with my bino's and spotting scope. Zooming in and out on the scope got the fingers cold pretty quick with a stiff breeze even though the temps were only -8C.
Tough to feel the trigger on your rifle when your finger is froze.

I purchased a pair of fingerless gloves that have the flip over cover so they look like mittons to keep your finger tips warm.
Pick whatever kind you like best.
Then go pick up some packages of foot warmers. Yes that's right, foot warmers. The ones that have the sticky back.
The hand warmers will fall out when you flip open the gloves.
The foot warmers stay in place all day. The ones I have last for 5 hours. Thats long enough to get through a cold morning. I you need them longer just replace them.

Just thought I would pass that on.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 AM

That's a good tip!

Some of my Scouts could have used that this past weekend.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 AM

That is a good one.

On the "good idea" theme (this one not warmth related)...
I've found that while still hunting in cold snowy weather I often get a bit of the sniffles or have to routinely clear my throat, even if I don't really have a cold. Makes noise when I want to be really quiet. My solution? Take an antihistimine before I go and suck on a Halls or other cough drop. Problem solved.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM

I have done the same thing. The only problem I ran into with some brands is that the adhesive backing has quite a grip and tore the liner out of a pair of mits. It has only occured once so it might have been an isolated occurance.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM

I was at CDN Tire yesterday looking at a similar setup. They had Rocky mitts in white camo that opened up and exposed a very light pair of gloves inside. On the topside of the fingers on the mitts was a zippered pouch to hold a handwarmer. FYI
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
I was at CDN Tire yesterday looking at a similar setup. They had Rocky mitts in white camo that opened up and exposed a very light pair of gloves inside. On the topside of the fingers on the mitts was a zippered pouch to hold a handwarmer. FYI
Ive had these for a few years in regular camo (not snow)....wicked gloves....if they come in snow camo I might go grab me a pair......since it seems like I will be hunting in snow camo for the rest of the season.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I have done the same thing. The only problem I ran into with some brands is that the adhesive backing has quite a grip and tore the liner out of a pair of mits. It has only occured once so it might have been an isolated occurance.
I bought a good pair at cabelas that are the nice quiet material and instead of velcro have a sewn in magnet that is used to hold the flip open mitt part. Much quieter to open/close when needed and no risk of ripping. The flip open mitts are excellent in the cold I agree.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM

My preference is a muff. Yes - like what the women use to keep their hands warm. I have one in fuzzy cammo so it still looks manly. It works great on its own. I just keep my hands in the muff if I am not doing something specific. It also has lots of room for a heater if you find you need one.

Mine is similar to this http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...=2012&ID=40749 but without the window for the electronics.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Ive had these for a few years in regular camo (not snow)....wicked gloves....if they come in snow camo I might go grab me a pair......since it seems like I will be hunting in snow camo for the rest of the season.
x2 I'm pretty happy with the "Rocky Flip Mitt Gloves" that I bought at Can Tire and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 10-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
x2 I'm pretty happy with the "Rocky Flip Mitt Gloves" that I bought at Can Tire and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
X 3+ 4
My wife and I both enjoy the same mitts/gloves...the little zip up pouch is great for those handwarmers.....and the magnets hold the mitt open quite well to make the shot!!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Awesome I've been looking for snow camo mist for a long ass time . Perfect for huntin coyotes .Or this years November white tails .
Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 PM

I love my fingerless gloves/mitts. Toasty warm but I can still use my fingers for small tasks like programming a trail camera or pulling the trigger on a big buck!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
X2.....I bought the same ones

They come in a brush style camo too.

LC
Old 10-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Banned

I smoke and that poses some challenges in a military enviornment...light being one of them.

So I started using an empty popcan to smoke in.
Basically I just pinch the ring agaist the butt and bingo...no light.

You'd be surprised how much heat comes off of one cigarette.

Its an instant hand warmer and if you have a wet glove...just pull it over the base of the can and have a butt....it'll dry them pretty quickly.

A bit off I know but if you are a smoker you can take advantage of this and prevent flares of light pre-dawn, enjoy your habit AND keep your hands toasty.

Plus...it leaves you no excuse for throwing the butts on the ground.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
I smoke and that poses some challenges in a military enviornment...light being one of them.

So I started using an empty popcan to smoke in.
Basically I just pinch the ring agaist the butt and bingo...no light.

You'd be surprised how much heat comes off of one cigarette.

Its an instant hand warmer and if you have a wet glove...just pull it over the base of the can and have a butt....it'll dry them pretty quickly.

A bit off I know but if you are a smoker you can take advantage of this and prevent flares of light pre-dawn, enjoy your habit AND keep your hands toasty.

Plus...it leaves you no excuse for throwing the butts on the ground.
A bad habit gone good, never would have thought of that. Necessity is the mother of invention.
PG