Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Any Remington Versa Max fans here?

Hey guys~I don't see much talk about waterfowl on this forum, so semi-auto shotguns don't generate much conversation on here. Here in Ontario, I like shotguns for a few jobs, and am leaning towards buying my first, modern semi-auto. Other than being pretty heavy things, I've had good (albeit, limited) experience with a Versa Max tactical a buddy of mine let me play with...so I'm gravitating towards one of those. Reviews are mostly positive, most of the nitpicking around cheap feeling/looking furniture. I can never love a synthetic-stocked-anything, so when I choose them myself, it's for pure/practical reasons. In other words, the b**ching about them being plastic-y is of little concern.

Anybody here have one? Comments/opinions? Just need to sell one more thing to make it happen!
Old 09-06-2018, 03:45 PM

I owned one very briefly, and resold it without firing it. I didn't like the large diameter fore-end, but I can't speak to function or reliability.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:00 PM

A frequent shotgun refrain is buy one of the 3Bs: Benelli, Beretta, Browning. I have never heard a smart guy argue against this advice.

Buy whatever fits you best.

Bashaw Sports has some tremendous deals right now on shotguns.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:20 PM

I really like my Versa-max. By hunting buddy bought a Browning Maxus at the same time. Mine hasn't jammed yet but his has more than a few times.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:18 AM

I really like mine. It's a left hand version. Benelli does fit me better, and are more lively in the hands. That said the SBE2 sucked. So when it comes to my 20g and 3 inch 12g I run the benellis. When goose hunting i run my versa. It kicks less and cycles so much better than my SBE2 did. Versa port system was designed by the same guy whom designed the benelli m4. It's in my humble opinion the best gas system in the market. That said it is a pig of a shotgun. Great for the blind, but a burden to carry in the field.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:03 AM

We had a skitt shoot last weekend, lots of B's and 5 Remmy auto's, some Ithaca's,,, 50 plus to run threw the practic run over 3 days.

Yes those Remmy's are a fraction heavier, but they shoot good.

The price point is fair on them, if I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely add 2 of them to the Shotgun cabinet.

I'm a fan of over unders, it allows me to launch the big spread when it's needed. Ha
Old 09-07-2018, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated. Yes, they're not the kind of gun I'd want to carry far...but I have a light 20 and 16 for when I'm on long walks for grouse. The VM will likely be used shooting from blinds.

I've heard the "Bs" mentioned a bunch of times, but I'm a big guy with a limited budget..and a bit of a brand-loyalty to Remington shotguns. I have a pretty good sense of what they are (and aren't) and they still seem like a reliable option for the $.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
A frequent shotgun refrain is buy one of the 3Bs: Benelli, Beretta, Browning. I have never heard a smart guy argue against this advice.

Buy whatever fits you best.

Bashaw Sports has some tremendous deals right now on shotguns.
Damn you! Great deals, now I have to buy another shotgun!
Old 09-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated. Yes, they're not the kind of gun I'd want to carry far...but I have a light 20 and 16 for when I'm on long walks for grouse. The VM will likely be used shooting from blinds.

I've heard the "Bs" mentioned a bunch of times, but I'm a big guy with a limited budget..and a bit of a brand-loyalty to Remington shotguns. I have a pretty good sense of what they are (and aren't) and they still seem like a reliable option for the $.
The Winchester SX-3/4 is basically a Browning Silver, and they are reasonably priced. I use myself as my go to waterfowl gun.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:43 PM

After the issues my dad had with his Remington shotgun,and how the warranty Center treated him, I would never take the chance on anything Remington.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Not a huge Remington fan either.

If you are stuck on the versa--great deal as SNS2 said

http://www.bashawsports.com/specials.html

Personally in that range, I think the Winchester SX4 is a much better gun--on sale with a $50 rebate too.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98504...omatic-shotgun
Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Not a huge Remington fan either.

If you are stuck on the versa--great deal as SNS2 said

http://www.bashawsports.com/specials.html

Personally in that range, I think the Winchester SX4 is a much better gun--on sale with a $50 rebate too.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98504...omatic-shotgun
Silver Willow Sporting Clays has the SX3 on for $850.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
I really like mine. It's a left hand version. Benelli does fit me better, and are more lively in the hands. That said the SBE2 sucked. So when it comes to my 20g and 3 inch 12g I run the benellis. When goose hunting i run my versa. It kicks less and cycles so much better than my SBE2 did. Versa port system was designed by the same guy whom designed the benelli m4. It's in my humble opinion the best gas system in the market. That said it is a pig of a shotgun. Great for the blind, but a burden to carry in the field.
Benelli has a 10 year warranty. The Remington sure doesn't. You would think they could/would fix any cycling issues.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:31 PM

I’m not a shotgun guy at all.

However, I got to try a versamax this summer and I was impressed. It cycled everything we fed it from traps loads to heavy hunting loads without a hiccup. And now it might just be me or how it fit me but the perceived recoil was considerably less than my shotgun which until then I thought was perfect for me.

If I was going to buy a shotgun I would look at the versamax forsure.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Benelli has a 10 year warranty. The Remington sure doesn't. You would think they could/would fix any cycling issues.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the versa has lifetime warranty. The SBE2 has some known issues with regard to cycling, and definitely recoils harder than other gas operated systems. This is hard for me to admit being the owner one time or another of every left handed shotgun they offer. I owned one and it handled great. With full length shells the recoil was brutal, and it did jam on occasion. I have yet to jam my versa and haven't cleaned it in two seasons. Now saying all this, I will one day try the SBE3.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 PM

Wait until they get the POI issues corrected before you spend a dime on an SBE3.
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the versa has lifetime warranty. The SBE2 has some known issues with regard to cycling, and definitely recoils harder than other gas operated systems. This is hard for me to admit being the owner one time or another of every left handed shotgun they offer. I owned one and it handled great. With full length shells the recoil was brutal, and it did jam on occasion. I have yet to jam my versa and haven't cleaned it in two seasons. Now saying all this, I will one day try the SBE3.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Warranties from a company facing Chapter 11 does not inspire much confidence in me. Lifetime or not

Old 09-07-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Warranties from a company facing Chapter 11 does not inspire much confidence in me. Lifetime or not

Haha I was thinking the same thing after I posted. Still it's lifetime. They will even clean it once for free!
Old 09-07-2018, 03:08 PM

Back to the OP. Personally I would be confident about purchasing a vmax. They truly are a well designed shotgun, but so are many others. I would let the fit ultimately determine which one you go with. I incorrectly stated above that the SBE2 sucked. What I should have said is my experience with the SBE2 sucked. The SBE2 is a legendary shotgun, and has served many well. The Brownings, berretas, franchi, Winchesters, etc have as well. If you ever come across a Baikal 155, if I remember correctly, for a good price/fit consider that one as well.

So what's the scoop on the SBE3 POI issues?
Old 09-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Back to the OP. Personally I would be confident about purchasing a vmax. They truly are a well designed shotgun, but so are many others. I would let the fit ultimately determine which one you go with. I incorrectly stated above that the SBE2 sucked. What I should have said is my experience with the SBE2 sucked. The SBE2 is a legendary shotgun, and has served many well. The Brownings, berretas, franchi, Winchesters, etc have as well. If you ever come across a Baikal 155, if I remember correctly, for a good price/fit consider that one as well.

So what's the scoop on the SBE3 POI issues?
High. Like really high. Benelli is saying it is within their acceptable specs. Go to shotgun world and you read hundreds of posts.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
High. Like really high. Benelli is saying it is within their acceptable specs. Go to shotgun world and you read hundreds of posts.
That sounds like something they should be working on. Lots of recoil operated options these days.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:23 PM

I had to choose between an SBE3 or a Beretta A400 Xtreme Unico---went with the Beretta and couldn't be happier.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I had to choose between an SBE3 or a Beretta A400 Xtreme Unico---went with the Beretta and couldn't be happier.
Good choice.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Winchester SX-3/4 is basically a Browning Silver, and they are reasonably priced. I use myself as my go to waterfowl gun.
I got an SX3 last year and couldn't be happier with it, I've hunted with it 4 or 5 times. I haven't had any jams with 3" waterfowl or turkey loads. 2 3/4 target loads don't cycle but it isn't all the way broken in yet based on their recommendations so we'll see. I got a Redhead extended mid range waterfowl choke which is a private label Carlson's and tested Score #3 and BB in 3" with good results. Remington Sportsman BBs seem to pattern decent but center way high, Federal Steel Shock was a no go.

I chose it over the SX4 at the time because it seemed like every one the store had in stock had a little play in the forend, enough that I noticed it right away. IDK if that was an isolated problem or what but I'd be on the lookout for it. That big bolt release button would be nice to have though.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I got an SX3 last year and couldn't be happier with it, I've hunted with it 4 or 5 times. I haven't had any jams with 3" waterfowl or turkey loads. 2 3/4 target loads don't cycle but it isn't all the way broken in yet based on their recommendations so we'll see. I got a Redhead extended mid range waterfowl choke which is a private label Carlson's and tested Score #3 and BB in 3" with good results. Remington Sportsman BBs seem to pattern decent but center way high, Federal Steel Shock was a no go.

I chose it over the SX4 at the time because it seemed like every one the store had in stock had a little play in the forend, enough that I noticed it right away. IDK if that was an isolated problem or what but I'd be on the lookout for it. That big bolt release button would be nice to have though.
My 3" chamber SX-3 cycled all target loads from new, the 3-1/2" gun cycled 3 dram target loads from new, but it took a couple of hundred rounds of 3 dram target loads before it would cycle the light target loads. Now it cycles all target loads just fine.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 PM

Ide rather not hunt birds then shoot any auto loader gun that doesn’t start with a B...
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 PM

I’ve had one for three seasons and have put about 2000 rounds through mine. It’s not as light and nimble as an M2 but their inertia system seems to recoil more than the gas system of the Versa max.

I have not babied this shotgun and it seems to keep going despite the treatment. It has a definite preference for AA and Top Gun shells and I have also had to replace some springs after a couple of seasons.

I can shoot slugs accurately to 100 yards and it patterns just fine with OEM chokes.

I also like Berettas but I don’t shoot them in competition and beat them up in the same way as my Versamax. I have buddies that shoot Versamax, Mossberg 930s, Stoeger M3Ks and 1301s with modifications such as enlarged loading ports and they all seem to work pretty well.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:56 AM

I forgot to mention that the Versamax accepts some Benelli M2 parts and springs such as in the trigger group and the shell lifter. The Benelli parts seem to be more durable but the recoil reduction of the gas system in the heavier Versamax is what sold me on the shotgun.

If your intent is to use this for upland, IMO there are better, lighter choices.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:31 AM

I have an sx3. It's a dandy. Really nice. It's got the safety flipped for left hand.

I really liked how the benilli m2 felt as well but it was a few hundred more
Old 09-08-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Ide rather not hunt birds then shoot any auto loader gun that doesn’t start with a B...
It won't bother me a bit to be shooting my SX-3 tomorrow morning. I sold my A400 and SBE2 , and kept the SX-3..