Gotta have a plan
Old 09-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Sell both

And get something else...in 6.5, then sell the 243 also✌️

Gotta have a plan
https://youtu.be/L1TwqKan9UM

He said its for big game, not paper. obviously he is fine with 30 cal recoil, so stick with the better cartridges.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post

He said its for big game, not paper. obviously he is fine with 30 cal recoil, so stick with the better cartridges.
Well look at that! With only 2700 fps and 2266 ft/lbs energy...that little booger did alright! The .308 had 2820 fps and 2650 ft/lbs energy and took out one more board, maybe a board and a half...the crowd goes wild for the 308.🤦

Great vid Nyk. Not even going to do numbers on that lapua as that would tell an even sadder story of recoil energy wasted.😂

Gad that creedmoor looks good!

You missed me didn’t you.😘

P.s. my answer isn’t wrong lol

If forced I’d take the ruger...might have to be at gunpoint though 😉

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-04-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you need quality glass and some scope caps.
I have decent glass and caps, if I baby my scope all day I can keep it clear, caps aren't much good in the thick stuff unless they are see through. Most of my shots are well under 100 yards, about half of them around 40 yards or less, less than 20 is not uncommon... for me I'd rather just go with irons when its blizzarding slush, or I'm tracking a moose through snow loaded timber.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:32 PM

The cartridge has nothing to do with the choice I would make, it is the action that I would choose , bolt over lever every time when it comes too repeaters, but that is just my choice.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-04-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I have decent glass and caps, if I baby my scope all day I can keep it clear, caps aren't much good in the thick stuff unless they are see through. Most of my shots are well under 100 yards, about half of them around 40 yards or less, a few at less than 20... for me I'd rather just go with irons when its blizzarding slush, or I'm tracking a moose through snow loaded timber.
Jeez, based on that I switch my vote to the blr and I’ve shot one of them old ones in 308 and hated it. I shot an ott six bolt much better, rem 700 bdl...I shot rem better with irons than I did the blr with fixed 4....go figure. I’m telling ya...sell em both. Find a nice savage 99 eg in 358 win...like I once had and foolishly sold...for a very tidy profit I might add. Seriously though...that was a dreamy moose stomper. The handling and feel was drool worthy
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Well look at that! With only 2700 fps and 2266 ft/lbs energy...that little booger did alright! The .308 had 2820 fps and 2650 ft/lbs energy and took out one more board, maybe a board and a half...the crowd goes wild for the 308.🤦

Great vid Nyk. Not even going to do numbers on that lapua as that would tell an even sadder story of recoil energy wasted.😂

Gad that creedmoor looks good!

You missed me didn’t you.😘

P.s. my answer isn’t wrong lol

If forced I’d take the ruger...might have to be at gunpoint though 😉

I think the interesting thing to note is that the 308 and 6.5 comparison had the same bullet construction, remington corelokt. The 308 cal 150 gr bullet had a sectional density of 0.226, and the 6.5 cal 140 gr bullet sectional density is 0.287. You kindly provided the velocities. The 308 has higher velocity which would promote fragmentation even more drastically, however by simply having the 10 grains more of lead, even with the far worse sectional density, the 308 still outpenetrated the 6.5 which had higher sectional density. Weren't you saying that Energy, velocity, caliber, and bullet weight are all useless, and sectional density is the only thing that matters for choosing a hunting round? Seems like this is another example that begs for you to reconsider how things work.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the interesting thing to note is that the 308 and 6.5 comparison had the same bullet construction, remington corelokt. The 308 cal 150 gr bullet had a sectional density of 0.226, and the 6.5 cal 140 gr bullet sectional density is 0.287. You kindly provided the velocities. The 308 has higher velocity which would promote fragmentation even more drastically, however by simply having the 10 grains more of lead, even with the far worse sectional density, the 308 still outpenetrated the 6.5 which had higher sectional density. Weren't you saying that Energy, velocity, caliber, and bullet weight are all useless, and sectional density is the only thing that matters for choosing a hunting round? Seems like this is another example that begs for you to reconsider how things work.
They are close. The 308 went something like 8.5% further with 15% more energy to do it....including to energy to your shoulder. If they hit with the same velocity the 6.5 eats it. There was a 120 fps advantage for the 308. Down range that creedmoor catches it so fast then walks it like a corvette

You can’t pick a winner inside 300 imo, they are that close, small percentages and reality most cartridges are closer to each other than people realize. Beyond 300 the cm will walk on the old reliable.

Irrelevant to this thread now that I see the intent...I vote he switches to a savage 99 eg in 358 win or a 6.5 Swede running 160’s😉 both with iron sights. Sell the ruger and the blr

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-04-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Banned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLE1ibp1POM

At 500 yds ballistic gelatine the 6.5 143 eld-x vs 308 178 eld-x and the 6.5 cleaned the 308’s clock. You can find easily support for either, harder to do so so for 308 at distances past 300 though.

The will go back and forth inside 300 depending on construction and medium but further...the cm gains exponentially.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 PM
Banned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzjei7Hcip8
100 yrd 308 vs creedmoor. So close. By 200 likely even if not cm ahead, by 300 the cm will be ahead and keep on truckin from there. The numbers support. Do more with less...the 6.5 advantage.✌️

0-100 the numbers support the 308 slight advantage? That’s about it though. The cm punches way above its weight, if using old standards. Using new standards it’s easier to see it for what it is.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLE1ibp1POM

At 500 yds ballistic gelatine the 6.5 143 eld-x vs 308 178 eld-x and the 6.5 cleaned the 308’s clock. You can find easily support for either, harder to do so so for 308 at distances past 300 though.

The will go back and forth inside 300 depending on construction and medium but further...the cm gains exponentially.
His 500 yard test he fully admitted that he never had a fair hit with either 308 to compare. The 150gr 308 had to be stopped by steel and the 178gr 308 bounced off the table under the gel. I was excited to watch that long distance gel video, but disappointed that it didnt work out to compare on same hits. All 3 shots would have been complete pass through had the shots not bounced off other hard objects.

Quote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzjei7Hcip8
100 yrd 308 vs creedmoor. So close. By 200 likely even if not cm ahead, by 300 the cm will be ahead and keep on truckin from there. The numbers support. Do more with less...the 6.5 advantage.✌️

0-100 the numbers support the 308 slight advantage? That’s about it though. The cm punches way above its weight, if using old standards. Using new standards it’s easier to see it for what it is.
The problem with 6.5CM 140gr bullets is that they need to be that 2.87 high sectional density to achieve near the same penetration as heavier calibers, but at such high sectional density, the velocity is too low to properly expand the bullet, so it just stays skinny and punches a small hole. 6.5CM would be far better suited to using 120 grain 2.5 Sectional Density bullets. The penetration distance would slightly drop, but the expansion would become appropriate for its velocity and would be excellent on deer sized game from muzzle to 400 meters. Right now with all this 140gr talk, its not great for hunting anything, great for paper though.

If someone wants great performance at 500m and beyond, that shooter should choose 7mmRM or 300WM

Last edited by Nyksta; 09-05-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:00 PM

Default keeper

x2 on the /06
Aint nothin A Man Cant Fix With 700 Dollars AND A DIRTYAUGGGHT SIX
Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Ain't that a fact! .. None so blind as those who will not see. Maybe now he will pick up another.358 and forget the others.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Ain't that a fact! .. None so blind as those who will not see. Maybe now he will pick up another.358 and forget the others.
Lol, no, just see it for what it is. You cannot do more for 12 ft/lbs recoil energy than what the creedmoor does. At the range or big game competence, even at range. Starts with less but more than plenty, and then keeps it so well it just walks away from the old standards. Punching well above it’s proverbi weight class. I’d like to have that 358 back though, didn’t like shooting it, just an amazing one and like new, it was a beauty.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Lol, no, just see it for what it is. You cannot do more for 12 ft/lbs recoil energy than what the creedmoor does. At the range or big game competence, even at range. Starts with less but more than plenty, and then keeps it so well it just walks away from the old standards. Punching well above it’s proverbi weight class. I’d like to have that 358 back though, didn’t like shooting it, just an amazing one and like new, it was a beauty.
You cannot judge a hunting cartridge by the amount of recoil it produces, how little it is, or by the least amount of powder it burns. That judgement is made at the far end of the trajectory curve where more is often much better. ..an old standard that is still relevant today. Also, You can't name one new hunting cartridge that doesn't have an predecessor that can't accomplish the same thing, or so darn close to it that it won't matter. Every cartridge out there has access to all the newer powders and projectiles. That's where it's happening .. not with new cartridges. Those are for marketers. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
If the 308 was in the Ruger M77 as well, then you would have a tough decision.

As it stands, I would keep the Ruger 30-06.

Good luck,
If the Ruger was .308 and the BLR was .30-06 I’d still keep the .30-06,lol
Admittedly I’m a bit of an 06 fanboy,as it is ,30-06 bolt vs a lever .308 is a no brainer for me,I’d be keeping the Ruger.
That said,I owned a BLR in .223 and liked it,I only sold it to fund other interests and had other varmint rifles at the time anyhow.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 AM

Keep the Ruger