Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM

Default New to Diesel

Hi guys, just waiting for my new F-350 to finish being built and then shipped. I’m starting to look into what I need and how to take care of it.

I’m in Calgary.

1) any diesel service shops that you guys would recommend?
2) any shops that you would recommend for a 5th wheel hitch with pucks?
3) other than sand bags, ideas for weight in the bed for winter?

Anything else that is useful to know?

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedFlatlander View Post
Hi guys, just waiting for my new F-350 to finish being built and then shipped. I’m starting to look into what I need and how to take care of it.

I’m in Calgary.

1) any diesel service shops that you guys would recommend?
2) any shops that you would recommend for a 5th wheel hitch with pucks?
3) other than sand bags, ideas for weight in the bed for winter?

Anything else that is useful to know?

Thanks everyone.

1) Stay out of the diesel shops. Drive it as is, you will be amazed what it does, and you will appreciate the warranty should the need arise.
2) Did you not order it with the built in pockets?
3) you won't need weight. Just run great tires.

-Find a Titan Tank. 190+ litres is awesome. Mine came with a 85L tank which is just insane for a diesel.
-If you are pulling heavy trailers look into air bags. I use Firestone.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM

Thanks for replying Ken

I might not have been clear. I don’t intend to do anything to the truck (no lift, no delete, etc). I just don’t have a diesel mechanic that I know of in Calgary for regular maintenance - oil changes and the like (I don’t have the space and time to learn to do it all myself).

I did order the 5th wheel prep package. Was just wondering if anyone had any hitch shops they recommended. I like rewarding businesses that have good customer service.

I’ll look into the titan tank.

The trailer is rated for ~12,000 lbs. most of the time it be less than that.

Thanks for your time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
1) Stay out of the diesel shops. Drive it as is, you will be amazed what it does, and you will appreciate the warranty should the need arise.

2) Did you not order it with the built in pockets?

3) you won't need weight. Just run great tires.

-Find a Titan Tank. 190+ litres is awesome. Mine came with a 85L tank which is just insane for a diesel.

-If you are pulling heavy trailers look into air bags. I use Firestone.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM

I would have the dealer that you bought it from do all the required maintenance while you are on warranty. Easy paper trail if something major happens to it while on warranty.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I would have the dealer that you bought it from do all the required maintenance while you are on warranty. Easy paper trail if something major happens to it while on warranty.
this

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 AM

I run a 2014 F350. First oil change I had done, the gentleman at Lubex was kind enough to let me know that there is no other engine on the market that takes as much oil as the 6.7. The oil change was somewhere around $350 for synthetic.

Learn how to do oil changes yourself. You'll save yourself about $150-200 per change depending on whether you're doing fuel filters or not.

Rockauto.com is your friend for oil filters, fuel filters, etc. About half the price you'll pay at Napa for a higher quality product.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:56 AM

IF you want FORD warranty (and YOU DO!) use Fomoco filters and the recommended oil while you are on warranty. They do not recommend synthetic.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
This is a Texas Size 10-4! I do this with all my vehicles until off warranty. Then I do 90%of maintenance by myself.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
GREAT advice. Negotiating free oil changes as part of the new truck purchase makes this easier but all in the dealerships don't charge much more for an oil change or filters than Lubex, and at least you are getting OEM oil and fuel filters rather than Fram or crap like that.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:31 PM

This unit should be relatively trouble free right out the box. Regular dealership maintenance is good, not just because I work at one, but it is a solid log book of what has been done. Prepaid maintenance is logged in Ford, any dealership can see it. All other maintenance records can be requested from one dealership to another if need be. Please pay attention to what fuel you put in it. I have done 2 trucks so far this year where they have put gas in, covered under their insurance, but it is costly. Flush and clean tank and lines, replace high pressure pump and injectors and filters. Not sure what extended coverage they might put on the truck, but some trucks as old as 2013 have coverage on EGTs and DEF heaters on later models. You'll love the towing power.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
IF you want FORD warranty (and YOU DO!) use Fomoco filters and the recommended oil while you are on warranty. They do not recommend synthetic.
Sorry Ken miss information if I'm reading you right. As long as you are using
any filter or oil that meets or exceeds the specs required by the engine manufacturer and are servicing within the recommended mileages your good. You may need to have records of your services to back up your end of the deal.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
Sorry Ken miss information if I'm reading you right. As long as you are using
any filter or oil that meets or exceeds the specs required by the engine manufacturer and are servicing within the recommended mileages your good. You may need to have records of your services to back up your end of the deal.
Hey no trouble, but we all know what sticklers dealerships are for Warranty. Dealerships love warranty because they get paid well to do it, and manufacturers love refusing it because they have to pay to do it.
I always do my own work but I make sure to buy everything from Ford.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM

Ford is far and away the most picky and difficult to deal with when it comes to warranty. Always had lots of arguments with them and there was always a couple of hundred on every warranty claim that Ford didn't cover, like tranny fluid, oil etc. I have never had those issues with Chrysler, Toyota or Lexus though to be fair I also never had a major repair on any of those three, just relatively minor stuff on warranty. Only major warranty claims were on Fords. I quit buying Ford just because their warranty process was such a huge pain in the rump, and I tried 4 different dealerships to see if that was the issue.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:07 PM

For the puck hitch, I recommend B&W, they are the best. I don’t know who in Calgary sells them though.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:19 PM

I'm about half and half on oil changes at the dealer or at Mr. Lube. You have the option at Mr. Lube for OEM filters etc. Even if you lose your receipts, it's easy to get a reprint from Mr. Lube for proof of maintenance. About $170 at Mr. Lube and about $230 at the dealer. Having said that, congratulations on the new truck.

I went in last week fully intending to buy a 1/2 ton F-150 to replace my 2015 F-350. Ended up buying another F-350 but a Platinum rather than the Lariats I've always had. Sure makes life easier pulling my trailer and it's pretty cushy too!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM

I wouldn’t let anybody change oil on my pickup or tractors. I see how minute lube or lubex let’s them drain. When I change my oil I pull the plug when the oil is hot and they drain overnight.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I wouldn’t let anybody change oil on my pickup or tractors. I see how minute lube or lubex let’s them drain. When I change my oil I pull the plug when the oil is hot and they drain overnight.
Not being smart, after you pull the plug and let it drain for ten minutes, have you ever put a fresh pan under it to see just how much additional oil drains out over the next 12 hours and does that last bit have the majority of contaminants in it or were those in the main bulk of first drained oil. Would be really interested to know if the amount of oil and contaminant is material.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Default Diesel

You are going to love your new F3501! I have 29% left before my first oil change and it has 11,000km. I bought mine in Stettler and if I get all my oil changes done there the give a Lifetime Power Train Warranty. I used to go to Woodridge with my 2015 F350 and they were good to deal with. Never had any warranty issues with 90k on it.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
You are going to love your new F3501! I have 29% left before my first oil change and it has 11,000km. I bought mine in Stettler and if I get all my oil changes done there the give a Lifetime Power Train Warranty. I used to go to Woodridge with my 2015 F350 and they were good to deal with. Never had any warranty issues with 90k on it.
Bought my last four F-350s from Okotoks Ford which is owned by Woodridge. Bought the newest one from Woodridge. Pretty decent to deal with. Only one hiccup. The first truck I bought got lost. It was still in their system even though they had sold it a few months before. Found the same truck for me the next day and should be here by Friday. So far, so good.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
You know that is just a timer, right? It does not check the dirtiness and viscosity of the oil. There is nothing that verifies the structure of the oil.

Bad plan, just a FYI.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:56 PM

My nephew has one. He pulled my 24 foot cargo trailer 7 hours last fall. People kept flashing him because of the lights & back end down too much. Would highly recommend air bags or some kind of overload set up. In addition he went to one size tire higher & that cost him one mpg. I rode with him a lot. Power is amazing and cab is very nice. Congrats.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
My nephew has one. He pulled my 24 foot cargo trailer 7 hours last fall. People kept flashing him because of the lights & back end down too much. Would highly recommend air bags or some kind of overload set up. In addition he went to one size tire higher & that cost him one mpg. I rode with him a lot. Power is amazing and cab is very nice. Congrats.
Adjustable height tow bar takes care of that easily enough. I've never had to adjust mine but pull the same trailer all the time. If you're talking rear sag, then equalizer bars take care of that as well.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 PM

I got a 150,000km maintenance package and 150,000km bumper to bumper warranty on my 2018 F350 6.7 Powerstroke for next to nothing.

I.....fill it...drive it. Book service. Drive it away. Heartland Ford is Gold to deal with.

As for weight.... i like the stock Michelins on my 20s..... i didnt want tongonto an offroad tire again... i put 500 pounds secured behind the tailgate and i have never had to run 4x4H on the highway. Ive actually used 4x4 very little this winter. The truck doesnt notice the 500lbs at all, but it does help i noticed rather than without it.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Run the oil that Ford states to use in the owners manual. There is no advantage running synthetic oil other than cold weather starting or heavy towing if you are leaving the emission system intact. I pull oil samples on all my equipment and my 6.7 Powerstroke is always showing high fuel dilution just like the 6.4’s used to. I’m pretty consistently showing about 6.5% dilution with 6800 kms on the oil. And no there’s nothing wrong with my truck it just nature of the beast. I wouldn’t stretch your oil changes beyond 8000 kms no matter what the salesman or dealer tell you. Congratulations on the new truck BTW!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:00 PM

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input!

Seems like Dealer service until warranty is up has the most people behind it.

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
I run a 2014 F350. First oil change I had done, the gentleman at Lubex was kind enough to let me know that there is no other engine on the market that takes as much oil as the 6.7. The oil change was somewhere around $350 for synthetic.

Learn how to do oil changes yourself. You'll save yourself about $150-200 per change depending on whether you're doing fuel filters or not.

Rockauto.com is your friend for oil filters, fuel filters, etc. About half the price you'll pay at Napa for a higher quality product.
Incorrect info my 6.4l f350 takes more oil .. do oil changes every 8000 k fuel filters every 2nd change and your good, other than your other fluids at scheduled times and yer good to go. My 09 6.4( which is suppose to be the worst engine I have over 200000 km and no issues other than my 2 batts and alternator. Replaced at 190000kms, I tow a 30ft 5th wheel and use it as daily driver.. enjoy it it’s a great truck. And that’s why I take it to a dealership they know these trucks.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
You know that is just a timer, right? It does not check the dirtiness and viscosity of the oil. There is nothing that verifies the structure of the oil.

Bad plan, just a FYI.
So when do you recommend doing oil changes?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
So when do you recommend doing oil changes?
I do it every 5000 km

Old 03-14-2019, 10:09 PM

Everyone will have a opinion on everything. Change oil every 8000km, it’s worth it. Run Ford centane, how often is up to you. Use your warranty, keep paper work for everything. I found advantage service department was a joke, universal got my business till warranty was up. I buy rotella T6 in the 18.9L when on sale. All the best and enjoy the beast
Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Everyone will have a opinion on everything. Change oil every 8000km, it’s worth it. Run Ford centane, how often is up to you. Use your warranty, keep paper work for everything. I found advantage service department was a joke, universal got my business till warranty was up. I buy rotella T6 in the 18.9L when on sale. All the best and enjoy the beast
UFA has Rotella T6 on sale till end of April for 130.00/pail. Shell also has a rebate for 35.00 per pail of T6 for a final price of 95.00 per pail. T5 is on sale also and with the 25.00 rebate I thought it worked out to about 80.00 per pail.