Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 PM

Default Home large appliance repairs thread.

Had our dryer stop producing heat. Tried replacing the thermal fuse. Checked the heating element. It was cracked and not functioning based upon my volt meter.

Getting parts tomorrow. Fairly easy fix.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2019, 09:07 PM

Our last dryer was wearing out from dissasbly and reassembly.
That thing drove me crazy. It was a brava (I think) made by Samsung.
I do not miss it.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Default Maytag dryer

Our 13 year old Maytag Neptune dryer started acting up on us. The drum would stop spinning if there was any more than a couple wet items in it. After watching a couple YouTube videos on replacing the drive belt, I decided to try the repair today. The belt was frayed and worn, so it needed to be replaced. Turned out the real culprit was a defective idler pulley. Put it back together after a thorough vacuuming, and it's running like new again.

Jim
Old 03-11-2019, 10:11 PM

I recently made a discovery on our LG fridge when it started getting too cold - I ended up tipping it forward and discovered the manufacturer had the parts list & tech/test information taped to the bottom! I never would have thought to look there, but now I can fix anything on it.

Next time an appliance gives me trouble, I'll be looking on the bottom for sure.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Forgot to mention I got my dryer working last night.

It was the thermal fuse and heating element. Easy to take out and replace after watching a video.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Have to look at an old maytag built in dishwasher for sis in law, she sold it with the house now it does not seem to drain and water was all over floor and went downstairs, not sure what to look for.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
Have to look at an old maytag built in dishwasher for sis in law, she sold it with the house now it does not seem to drain and water was all over floor and went downstairs, not sure what to look for.
I just google the make and model and problem. Get a number of suggestions to fix. Then open it up and see if anything stands out. Hoses. Pump, overfill tray
Old 03-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
I recently made a discovery on our LG fridge when it started getting too cold - I ended up tipping it forward and discovered the manufacturer had the parts list & tech/test information taped to the bottom! I never would have thought to look there, but now I can fix anything on it.

Next time an appliance gives me trouble, I'll be looking on the bottom for sure.
Why bother when you can youtube it and fix it yourself
Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Check the overflow part located in the bottom of the dishwasher...
Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Drain pump or hose probably if it's only leaking during use. . Run it and Look underneath to find the source. It should have a removable kick plate.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Having problems with my Samsung stove.

I think the temperature probe in the oven is pooched, but I need to buy a multimeter to confirm my suspicions. If I try to broil something it trips an error code that says the sensor isn’t working. Also sometimes the oven doesn’t get to temp, verified by a oven thermometer. If I set it to 425 sometimes it works, other times it gets to the high 200’s.

I’m also having a couple issues with my Samsung fridge. The ice in the ice maker just hardens into one big blob and I have to have shaved ice every time. It also builds up a bunch of ice behind the back panel in the coils and eventually the fan starts rubbing on the ice making a loud buzzing noise. I don’t think the defrost coil is working properly.

And lastly, the Samsung microwave humidity sensor doesn’t work, so if I try to make popcorn on the popcorn setting it’ll turn off with an error code.

Anyone see a common theme between the 3 appliances?

They are only 5 years old now.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Be glad you didn't buy LG. Think more problems, a lot earlier than 5 years. In a city of 30,000 people no one will repair these either. I wouldn't take an LG appliance if it was the last make on earth.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post

Be glad you didn't buy LG. Think more problems, a lot earlier than 5 years. In a city of 30,000 people no one will repair these either. I wouldn't take an LG appliance if it was the last make on earth.
In a city of 1.2 million and no one wants to touch them. I’m slowly weeding this cr@p from our home.

Dodger.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:

LG=life's good? Nope LG is Lucky Goldstar = Goldstar. Used to be the worst quality electronics on earth (think Curtis.). Diversified but not improved.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:10 PM

Whirlpool Cabrio clothes washer, 3.5 years old paid over 1000.00. Extremely loud noise when in spin cycle. I guess it washes good, so I am repairing instead of replace. All the appliance stores want to do is sell me a new one or give me an Inflated price on repairs. A little ytube and sounds like a new gearbox/tranny. Definitely a doable thing, AMRE in Edmonton has them for 340.00, Question - for appliance parts in alberta is AMRE the goto place? or where is the place to go? Sorry for the derail if it is...
Old 03-12-2019, 06:20 PM

Recently replaced the dryer element $125.00 from an appliance dealer in the city. Was happy they had it in stock. Guy behind me--not so happy. I checked on Amazon a few days later--$45.00. GRRRRRR.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:

It is not that they will not repair LG appliances...They cannot as Lg has an agreement with every repair company that they are not allowed to touch there equipment....Which is total bull****! However, my washer crapped a few years ago and they do an all in fee....Labor and parts for $150.....

It was our computer board and I gaurantee I saved a crap load of money....I am sure the board cost at least $150....Not happy that I cannot use any repair company though.....
Old 03-12-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Whirlpool Cabrio clothes washer, 3.5 years old paid over 1000.00. Extremely loud noise when in spin cycle. I guess it washes good, so I am repairing instead of replace. All the appliance stores want to do is sell me a new one or give me an Inflated price on repairs. A little ytube and sounds like a new gearbox/tranny. Definitely a doable thing, AMRE in Edmonton has them for 340.00, Question - for appliance parts in alberta is AMRE the goto place? or where is the place to go? Sorry for the derail if it is...
Mac, i've done a few repairs in the last couple of years on both washing machine and dryer. This last week or two i replaced the motor and idler pulley and some roller wheels in my 17 yr old dryer. Runs like new. I've used partselect.ca for all of the parts. Fast shipping and reasonable price. They are not the only one out but all that i have used. They even have repair videos on their website. Cheap and easy.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post
Mac, i've done a few repairs in the last couple of years on both washing machine and dryer. This last week or two i replaced the motor and idler pulley and some roller wheels in my 17 yr old dryer. Runs like new. I've used partselect.ca for all of the parts. Fast shipping and reasonable price. They are not the only one out but all that i have used. They even have repair videos on their website. Cheap and easy.
I am tearing into the washer in a couple of days to see what I need to order. I have ordered parts out of the state's before and it seems to take like 10 days. I am not familiar with partselect though, how long for parts in your experience? I believe AMRE had one in Calgary which is still 2 days for me up north Alberta. Hoping to keep the downtime to a minimum.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I am tearing into the washer in a couple of days to see what I need to order. I have ordered parts out of the state's before and it seems to take like 10 days. I am not familiar with partselect though, how long for parts in your experience? I believe AMRE had one in Calgary which is still 2 days for me up north Alberta. Hoping to keep the downtime to a minimum.
Im in Canmore. Ordered my last parts on a Sunday night and had them Tuesday night. I believe they came out of Richmond B.C. Anywhere from 2 - 4 business days i would say from experience. Came by courier.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Im in Canmore. Ordered my last parts on a Sunday night and had them Tuesday night. I believe they came out of Richmond B.C. Anywhere from 2 - 4 business days i would say from experience. Came by courier.
Thanks for the info, I will check them out.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I replaced all rollers and belts in the dryer a few years back. It’s 17 years old. Replaced the door when the plastic broke. Moisture sensor. Now the heating element and the thermal fuse.

$100 for this recent fix.

~$28 for belts and rollers. Always do the full kit.

Door was about $80

Moisture sensor was $3.17. Lol

I buy parts from Amre.

Saved the cost of a new machine.

They don’t make them to last but now most repairs you can do it yourself.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Parts select or Amre

Used both. Amre can be a bit faster but $2.50 more for delivery.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 PM

I enjoy doing my own repairs. Nice sense of accomplishment.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
It is not that they will not repair LG appliances...They cannot as Lg has an agreement with every repair company that they are not allowed to touch there equipment....Which is total bull****!..
Surely you can't believe this is so? An agreement not to fix? How much do they pay people not to fix their stuff? Or do they just ask nice? I am in the repair business and lg did not buy me off yet. What gives? They must know I am uncoruptable.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:59 PM

Well what a bugger getting the dishwasher out, had to remove mouldings, a board that I had to cut out so it would slide out, but I guess the father in law had redone the floor as the feet kept trying to rip the floor and was lifting it up.
finally managed to get a small pry bar in to lift under the leg and out it came, but it stopped short as he had used solid copper pipe for water supply line, and the hard wired power was too short.
so had to fight to get the kick plate off then was able to get to the wire and undo the wire nuts, anyway found the clear silicone belt broken underneath the unit, so will try and buy one local from reliable parts as parts direct takes longer in this case I can go get it.
Oh and the fitting on the brass tailpipe broke at the solder connection , so had to go buy a new one, as not worth my time to try solder it back on.
Hope to get it together and then run it before pushing back into place.

Previously my own washer agitator quit and I found thanks to the internet that the dogs had broken, so got them from parts direct in two days and fixed it, the online videos they had helped a lot.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Had our dryer stop producing heat. Tried replacing the thermal fuse. Checked the heating element. It was cracked and not functioning based upon my volt meter.

Getting parts tomorrow. Fairly easy fix.
I always try to repair my appliances,repaired washer and dryer a few years ago.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Well what a bugger getting the dishwasher out, had to remove mouldings, a board that I had to cut out so it would slide out, but I guess the father in law had redone the floor as the feet kept trying to rip the floor and was lifting it up.
finally managed to get a small pry bar in to lift under the leg and out it came, but it stopped short as he had used solid copper pipe for water supply line, and the hard wired power was too short.
so had to fight to get the kick plate off then was able to get to the wire and undo the wire nuts, anyway found the clear silicone belt broken underneath the unit, so will try and buy one local from reliable parts as parts direct takes longer in this case I can go get it.
Oh and the fitting on the brass tailpipe broke at the solder connection , so had to go buy a new one, as not worth my time to try solder it back on.
Hope to get it together and then run it before pushing back into place.

Previously my own washer agitator quit and I found thanks to the internet that the dogs had broken, so got them from parts direct in two days and fixed it, the online videos they had helped a lot.
Dishwasher from he'll lol,,
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 PM

Well now as I put it back together I used a proper flex line for the supply line instead of the stupid hard copper line, and the fittings were more like auto fittings, so now I know the mechanic father in law did the jury rigging of this thing.
It will be all proper when done, but when undoing the connections on the sink strainers they were all rotten, so of to Home Depot and got all new parts to make it all good.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 PM

Bought a multimeter the other day on amazon (always good to have one) to test my oven temp sensor.

Well the pins are too small in the plug to get the resistance of the sensor, so I’m going to go out on a limb and order the part anyways.

I tried cooking stuff yesterday, oven said 350F and the manual thermometer I put in to verify said 300F so stuff took a bit longer to cook than planned.