Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 PM

got the first 1 of 2 results for my wainwright hunt (second rifle) negative
Old 03-16-2019, 06:55 PM

I just received the email with negative results from my (last rifle) wainwright moose.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:56 PM

Smile Got mine back

First rifle season - 2 negatives.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Second to last rifle season at Wainwright.
Got one email Wednesday, and one today.
Both negative.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 PM

Got one back but stated unsuitable ? wtf is unsuitable , they took the head and the samples . am I to assume its unsuitable to eat or just unsuitable results
Old 03-18-2019, 07:15 PM

How decomposed was it when you took it in? Did you cut horns off taking to much of the brain?

Just asking.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
How decomposed was it when you took it in? Did you cut horns off taking to much of the brain?

Just asking.
it was at wainwright base and the head was cut off and dealt with 1 hour after it was shot ! the deer had been shot in the foot the hunt previously .
yes in the foot the hoof was hanging on by skin only, they don't use the brain itself any way just the nodes and the stem at the base of the skull as they( the biologist on site ) actually only took the nodes and the stem from my second deer right on the spot while the deer was half hour dead . and still no results from that one ,
Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
it was at wainwright base and the head was cut off and dealt with 1 hour after it was shot ! the deer had been shot in the foot the hunt previously .
yes in the foot the hoof was hanging on by skin only, they don't use the brain itself any way just the nodes and the stem at the base of the skull as they( the biologist on site ) actually only took the nodes and the stem from my second deer right on the spot while the deer was half hour dead . and still no results from that one ,
Your results should be coming soon
I just got mine back
Negative
From the second season
Old 03-19-2019, 07:46 AM

First rifle hunt wainwright, negative, mule buck. Got email yesterday.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Got one back but stated unsuitable ? wtf is unsuitable , they took the head and the samples . am I to assume its unsuitable to eat or just unsuitable results
A cow moose we shot at wainwright a few years ago came back as sample unsuitable, we ate it. Not too worried as only one moose in Alta has ever tested positive. Hope it stays that way too.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 AM

Both my Wainwright mulie doe and buck came back negative
Old 03-19-2019, 01:04 PM

Definitely Positive things to hear when your Results come back "Negative"..
I wonder when we will hear the actual numbers of Positive cases from 2018 season.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:09 PM

Default Negative

Got my email today, negative. Mulie doe on December 14.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 PM

I got the phone call today. Muley buck was positive from wainwright black powder. That’s 2 out of 3 mulies from wainwright in the last 2 years. This one I shot december 1, he was a big bodied muley but when I skinned him out he had absolutely zero fat on him. Off to the landfill.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Submitted my Mulie Buck Early December just got my email a couple days ago with a negative from 158 so good to go..
Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Received a call back last night from the CWD biologist ,she stated the head was not usable and a test couldn't be conducted ? they did the head removal themselves ,there was no damage to the head .
She stated it was up to me to consume or not based on the results as are any other test that were positive for other hunters ,
She said not many heads are actually turned in at areas of concern and hunters have eaten this for some time , she states there is no link to human sickness with CWD and the test they do are for stats ,Health Canada are the ones issuing the warning and only a warning without proof of cross exposure to Humans.
Keep eating er up boys
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 PM

2 bucks from 3rd rifle season. Both negative. One email received mar 19 and the other mar 13.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Got the call today, two years in a row WMU 158 Mulie= Positive
Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 PM

Got phone calls today that my mule buck was positive and my brothers mule deer buck was positive as well. We shot only one deer each and we were in the first rifle season Wainwright. No word on his bull moose.

Last edited by Dewie; 03-21-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Received a call back last night from the CWD biologist ,she stated the head was not usable and a test couldn't be conducted ? they did the head removal themselves ,there was no damage to the head .
She stated it was up to me to consume or not based on the results as are any other test that were positive for other hunters ,
She said not many heads are actually turned in at areas of concern and hunters have eaten this for some time , she states there is no link to human sickness with CWD and the test they do are for stats ,Health Canada are the ones issuing the warning and only a warning without proof of cross exposure to Humans.
Keep eating er up boys
Um, no thank you! Is that 75 lbs of meat really worth it?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Um, no thank you! Is that 75 lbs of meat really worth it?
Worth What ?? is there some scientific information you have that you are not sharing ? how many deer have you tested in your lifetime ? how many brain eating diseases have you seen related to eating wild game ?
All Zero .
your more likely to get sick or die , eating a bag of lettuce or a pack of infected sandwich meat or chicken nuggets from janes :}
Old 03-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Well the rule of thumb of old mule deer being a greater risk of CWD was just extinguished when my 2nd mule deer which was a spike from wainwright tested positive .
Very young deer looking very healthy .
Still going into the grinder for sausage and jerky. just disappointing that there is no clear answers from any avenue you look at .
Waste of time and money ,when they have no answers , they say eat it if you want and if not just dispose in the landfill or burn it . so what about the dump gulls and birds eating it and ****ting all over the country . Is this not spreading it as well .
Old 03-28-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Well the rule of thumb of old mule deer being a greater risk of CWD was just extinguished when my 2nd mule deer which was a spike from wainwright tested positive .
Very young deer looking very healthy .
Still going into the grinder for sausage and jerky. just disappointing that there is no clear answers from any avenue you look at .
Waste of time and money ,when they have no answers , they say eat it if you want and if not just dispose in the landfill or burn it . so what about the dump gulls and birds eating it and ****ting all over the country . Is this not spreading it as well .
Your spike does NOT change the rule of thumb. Odds still are that an older deer is more likely to be CWD positive than a yearling.

Lots of life includes weighted decisions.
Red pill/ blue pill.... you KNOW that BSE infected beef was once considered safe for human consumption.

You know where your **** goes....

What I see are decisions that contradict any concerns you express.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Your spike does NOT change the rule of thumb. Odds still are that an older deer is more likely to be CWD positive than a yearling.

Lots of life includes weighted decisions.
Red pill/ blue pill.... you KNOW that BSE infected beef was once considered safe for human consumption.

You know where your **** goes....

What I see are decisions that contradict any concerns you express.
There is no contradictions of my decisions they are questions of ethics and concerns from F&W or Canada health. they say dispose but dont let it be used for coyote bait or put out for animal consumption though does a landfill not have animals ? urban landfills have coyote and birds of prey
The fact health Canada has no evidence of human contamination ,and yes BSE was said to be the same .
and a million or so cattle were destroyed and yet we still allow meat that may or may not be harmful be disposed in a landfill ?
Is it an issue or is it not an issue .
My conflicts are with the information and solutions provided .
My meat will be consumed not disposed of until it comes out the back end and into the bow river , same thing .
Old 03-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Default CWD disposal

Unless things have changed you can't dispose of your CWD positive meat in just any landfill. When my Mule Buck tested positive last year the Biologist verified where I lived and advised my trash went to a landfill where it was buried. Since it was buried I was advised I could throw the meat in the trash.

I had 2 Mule Bucks from the primitive weapons season at Wainwright. I received the results on March 18th and 19th and both tested negative. I got lucky.

Phil
Old 03-28-2019, 10:53 PM

Not one report of a human being ever being affected by eating a CWD infected deer. I'll eliminate lettuce from my diet before eliminating any deer!

3 outbreaks of E-coli in romiane lettuce in the past year.....

January 11, 2019 – Final Update
This update reflects that the U.S CDC has indicated the U.S outbreak appears to be over as of January 9, 2019. The Canadian outbreak was declared over on December 24, 2018 and the investigation has been closed. The Government of Canada, along with provincial and territorial governments and regional public health units remain vigilant in its efforts to monitor for any new E. coli illnesses linked to romaine lettuce. If future risks are identified, the Public Health Agency of Canada and its partners will take the necessary steps to notify Canadians of any increased risk to their health and to provide advice on how to prevent illness.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:56 PM

I never heard anything about my 2017 mule deer. It’s all been consumed. Never even new they told you if it is negative. Maybe I should find out how to test my own animals.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:40 PM

Young 2x3 mulie at wainwright was positive. They said they are seeing more young deer testing positive and the cwd wainwright deer numbers will surpass last years total.