Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 07:03 PM

Speaking of good dealers-

A couple years ago I stopped in at Edson Ford, on the way to Rupert. I asked service if I could buy a half litre of antifreeze from the bulk container in the back. The Service manager jumped to the desk like her arse was on fire, said they had to book me in, would be early to mid next week. I said it is down a tiny bit, could I not buy a little coolant? She said they would have to get it in and look at it, find out where it is leaking, or ingesting then went into the whole shpiel. I said it is 6 years old, it is down half a litre, if I couldn't buy a little could I PLEASE just buy a jug of premix and get out of her way?
Just as she opened her mouth again then the Dealer Principal walked over, asked if it was my truck and boat in the parking lot?
I said I was sorry, thought it was in the way, would move it instantly. I booked for the door, thinking I must be in someone's way.
He said no hell no, just wanted to see the boat! He sent Mrs by the book to get a jug of antifreeze, talked to me while his mechanic topped it up and sent me on my way giving me the jug for free if I wanted it. I offered to buy it but he wouldn't have it, it was a jug from the bulk container. He just smiled.
THAT is how you get return service. He was not happy with her.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Team ford is the worst-will never set foot in there again
SAME HERE.

I was very close to signing the papers on a new truck there a couple years back and overheard another sales guy bsing with co-worker and the words out of his mouth were “hopefully that idiot signs for the extended”
And that’s when I walked out.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have a 2012 F350 Lariat 6.7 with under 100km, and a 2016 F150 Lariat with 51km. I was talking to my son about trading one or both off, the 1 ton because it has a sunroof that takes away valuable headroom, and the 1/2t because I never use it.
He recommended TEAM ford, and told a buddy there I was maybe looking to trade.

A day later I get a text from a salesperson asking about the trucks. I sent him pics and VIN's, got back a very excited 'WOW those are Mint! You will get HUGE money for them!!!
I asked him what HUGE money was for the 1 ton, he said 'HIGH TEENS!!!'

I said Pardon? (in my best The Champ voice)

That pretty much ended it with TEAM ford. No, actually, that ended it.
I was talking about it with friends online, and half a dozen dealers are calling me this morning, wanting pics and VIN's.

I just hate selling high dollar items here, you get the tirekickers, traders, no-shows and the worst ones; 'well what would you take today, right now CASH???'
I had a couple message me saying they buy and sell, but they had to make a buck too so I HAD to give them the best deal today. Wow. You aren't going to make money spinning my trucks, sorry.

CASH?? 'well, I was really hoping for gold bullion or chickens, maybe turnips or rare earth magnets, but I suppose I would look at cash.' Seriously? What do they think saying cash is going to do?

Salespeople drive me nuts.

Has anyone taken a vehicle to the States and traded it off? The Dealerships all say the same thing; they have a guy in the States that is looking for trucks RFN!!!

Why should we lost $5000-10,000 by delivering the truck to TEAM so they can drive it to the south side of the border?

I am seriously thinking about going South with it, our dollar sucks so there is a huge advantage. That is why the dealers here are loading semis south.
You should get back to the dealer and tell them that you'll take the deal if it's paid in the face value of $50 bullion gold coins.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:40 PM

Lol, if you think trucks are bad. You should see what the Harley guys want for a bike that has a “wicked” airbrushed mural of their naked girlfriend/wife, whomever. Its mint,gotta be worth double a normal one. One of a kind. Lol.
It’s kinda sad when the reality of the blue book kicks in and all added chrome baubles dont add value.
Kilometers and condition and desirability, that’s it in our world.
Tullfan
Old 03-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
SAME HERE.

I was very close to signing the papers on a new truck there a couple years back and overheard another sales guy bsing with co-worker and the words out of his mouth were “hopefully that idiot signs for the extended”
And that’s when I walked out.
Wow, losers.

Same kind of bs when I was in GP looking for a Corvette. Snotty little feminine product holder wouldn't give me the time of day, was too busy polishing his own demo corvette.
I ended up buying mine from Leduc, was telling Tom (sales manager) about the little snot bag, IT WAS HIS SON!

He called him while I was in his office, gave him the what for on speaker phone.

Salesturds bother me.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 PM

Contact Adesa auctions in Airdrie. Lots of US buyers there. Its a dealers auction. Contact Brent Miller .
Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 PM

My nieghbour brought his 2010 f250 into Cam Clark ford in Airdrie to trade on a new car. It had 176000 km on it they offered him. $2000 bucks. He laughed at them and told the salesman” just for that I am going to buy a Toyota” he sold it privately for $16000. Then he bought a new RAV4. Screw the dealerships. They are scum.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:15 PM

Wanted to trade in my wife’s Toyota Sequoia Platinum. 8 years old with 180,000 in good shape with brand new tires. Dealer offers $13,000. I say that is pretty low, considering you have one on the lot, with 80,000km more and a year older for $26,000. Salesman says “well, we have to wash it and.....”
I say “....and what? A wash costs $13,000
Salesman says “ well, maybe an oil change too....”
I think we will keep it for now.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 AM

Good for you. That’s one industry that can go belly up for all I care. They would deserve every thing they get. Hope they starve. Sorry to rant but that’s what the those scum deserve.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
What people don't get is that they provide a warranty that you don't get with a private sale.
So when joe blow buys a used vehicle from a lot with a warranty and two weeks later the tranny drops out of it...it's fixed.
So they make a lot of profit on what they sell to cover warranty repairs.
It's either bit the bullet and take what they offer...or deal with all the tire kickers on kiijiji.
Yeah 30 days 50/50!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM

Had similar experience when asked Dodge ram dealer in Stoney what I would get on my Ram diesel. He said $2000, I replied you have just bought my Duratrac tires, now lets talk about the truck.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 AM

This is why I always used to buy 5 year old trucks and drive them till they puke. Unfortunately now 5 year old trucks are just about ready to implode on themselves. Things sure rant made like they used to be. I have inquired about trade ins in the past....it's a joke what they offer.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Default Selling Trucks in the USA

My brother-in-law has been doing this for 20 years, and he has done well. He set up a couple people down there to assist with sales, paperwork etc. We have driven vehicles down south for him and he pays for the expenses, hotel and air fare home. He made it worth our while. Furthest south was Alabama.

It does work, and he has done well for himself.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:42 AM

TEAM ford said it would cost between $6000-$8000 to 'rejuvenate' my truck for sale. Having never seeing it, just pictures, 2012 with under 100,000 km. New takeoff rims new rubber not a mark anywhere clean glass and detailed before parking it for winter.
Apparently every vehicle they sell gets a fresh new coat of paint? Sounds to me like they feel they have to make $6000-$8000 from every used truck they bring in.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Wanted to trade in my wife’s Toyota Sequoia Platinum. 8 years old with 180,000 in good shape with brand new tires. Dealer offers $13,000. I say that is pretty low, considering you have one on the lot, with 80,000km more and a year older for $26,000. Salesman says “well, we have to wash it and.....”
I say “....and what? A wash costs $13,000
Salesman says “ well, maybe an oil change too....”
I think we will keep it for now.
I mean to be fair, they probably are willing to deal $3-4 grand on that used Sequioa, and if you’re looking at trading in and going new, they can work your trade-in value a bit. Then of course they need to make a margin to make ir worth their while—they don’t operate for free.

Then you need to realize how often people trade-in their vehicles that are JUNK. I’ve known guys who have traded in trucks with bad headgaskets, electrical gremlins, fuel pumps on their way out, pooched fuel injectors. Dealers pretty much always assume if you’re trading in, you’re giving them a junker. If it wasn’t junk, you’d be able to sell it for full value on Kijiji.

Overall all though, we all have to realize dealers aren’t in the business of doing you a favour and have no obligation to buy your vehicle for what you might perceive as full value. Don’t like what they are offering, don’t gotta sell it. They offer the quick convenience of taking your vehicle off your hands but it comes at a cost.

Imagine some guy coming to your door offering to sell you a big tackle box of fishing gear worth $1000 and then having them call you an a-hole because you don’t really need it and said you’d give him $300 for it.

Not saying that there aren’t a ton of shady dealerships and scummy salesguys out there, but I don’t see why anyone gets upset.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Also, just wanted to say I don't mean to pick on you Immigrant or anyone else, just throwing some food for thought out there.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM

I drive mint shape beater trucks,,, I buy privately that saves me coin,,, then drive the wheels off them till they become autowrecker specials. Ha.

Both of my lumber wagons will fill our family needs for years to come,,, then I'll buy another used truck to cap off the Golden years.

Nothing like saving funds on things I already own.

A win win in my books

👍
Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Also, just wanted to say I don't mean to pick on you Immigrant or anyone else, just throwing some food for thought out there.
No worries jstubbs. No offence taken. I realize that dealerships aren’t charities. They need to pay staff, utilities, rent etc. I get that. But why be so greedy. They could have “washed” and parked that vehicle on the lot just like that. Even if they sold it at $20,000 they would have made $7000 profit on 1 sale. Plus sell me a new unit, upgraded tires, rims, command start etc. and make probably another $4000 on that sale. Total of $11,000 off one guy. I know many hours of work I have to put in to earn $11,000.....But instead they made nothing. And I walked away and will never go back. Why, because I felt he insulted my intelligence by trying to convince me a wash and an oil change is worth thousands of dollars. And yes, it’s a free country. If the price aint right, we can both walk away. And we did. No harm done other than hurt feelings. The trade was more a “nice to have” than a need. At the current $13,000 evaluation we will drive it till it quits.

Last edited by Immigrant; 03-19-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
just sold my 1/2 ton to a guy from Idaho. I got full asking price and he was thrilled because exchange made it 30% cheaper for him.

got tired of all of the guys who emailed me off KIJIJI telling me I was asking too much and they would give me 70% of my asking price and I should be happy with the offer.

There is a big dealer in Great falls who used to buy trucks. sorry I can remember his name off the top of my head but I would reach out to few dealers with details and pics.

Where did you list your truck for sale?
Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 AM

Said in jest.... sort of... have a gopher hunting derby and have the 2012 F350 Lariat 6.7 for first prize. 500 entries at 100 bucks each. First person to bring in 1000 fresh gopher tails wins a truck. Derby runs for 2 weeks. If no one brings in 1000 tails no one wins the truck. Closest to 1000 tails wins 5K. Then take the truck to the States.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 AM

Good thread, I'm thinking of selling my 2015 F-150 supercab 4x4. It has 4700 kms. on it. The dealerships will screw me over so I think I'll just put it on Kijiji. I tried to sell it last year to a guy who takes trucks to the States and he didn't want it as it has too low of mileage.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:05 PM

I would suggest a little more research before you just "head south and trade your truck". Its just not that easy anymore to just go across the border and find a dealer that will take your truck, US Customs has put several hurdles infront of the general public to discourage this type of trade of selling vehicles. You WILL need to import your truck into the USA and you need to apply to get a Title for it if you intend to sell it in whatever State your sale is going to happen in, plus the waiting time for Titles is now 30 days. By your description of the trucks you would be better finding a local vehicle exporter/broker that deals in this everyday and avoid the local dealership for a trade in value. The more respectable exporters will give you a honest price. DM me as I have a contact in central Alberta that I sold 2 trucks to last November and he was very easy to deal with. And for all the smart asses out there, I have been exporting my vehicles for 20 years and know how the process works, so spare me your comments.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncutn View Post
I would suggest a little more research before you just "head south and trade your truck". Its just not that easy anymore to just go across the border and find a dealer that will take your truck, US Customs has put several hurdles infront of the general public to discourage this type of trade of selling vehicles. You WILL need to import your truck into the USA and you need to apply to get a Title for it if you intend to sell it in whatever State your sale is going to happen in, plus the waiting time for Titles is now 30 days. By your description of the trucks you would be better finding a local vehicle exporter/broker that deals in this everyday and avoid the local dealership for a trade in value. The more respectable exporters will give you a honest price. DM me as I have a contact in central Alberta that I sold 2 trucks to last November and he was very easy to deal with. And for all the smart asses out there, I have been exporting my vehicles for 20 years and know how the process works, so spare me your comments.
Good info, thank you!

Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncutn View Post
Spot on. There is paper work to bring one into Canada or to export one. Not hard to do after you get through the first one but u definitely need to do it right.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Usually keep mine for 350,000 km. 10+ years. Last one I donated to Kidney Car Foundation. Recieved $3k tax credit.