Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
My fishing partner and is on this forum is a first responder and we talk a bit on some of these calls. I also have a former co worker who lost their teenage son to this crap. Dont get it or understand why there isnt more effort to take out the suppliers etc. but I guess it is what it is. Too bad but even in the 70's in my teen age years I dont recall it quite like this.
I grew up younger than the hippy generation. They were much older but my sister took me along. Eventually if you hang with the bad crowd, you become the bad crowd. Then she came to hang with the outlaw bikers who got drove out of Calgary. There was a bad season where some bad dust came around. Took out a few of them in just a couple of weeks.
Then because of all the oil money at the end of the decades it was alcohol fueled deaths. Senseless carnage.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Living on east hastings in the late 90's i loved the heroin. After a few years, i dropped it. I think it.can reallt.depend on the person. I like my percocet (oxycocet). Multiple surgeries and arthritis i find its the only pill that i can take that really helps. I take 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. 90 a month never more. And thats been my regiment for the last 3-4 years. However i cant get them perscribed due to my addiction history... so i obtain them illegally. I did invest in a chemistry set to ensure im getting whats expected. And always keep a nax kit around. Thats my story anyways. Guess most would cal me an addict, but its what keeps me going, i find living without serious pain makes my life better. For me, my business, my family and loved ones. Etc. Ive never once in 20 years thought about or had the urge to go from opiodes to harded drugs, been there done that.
Yup you are an addict my man. So am I. I snapped my right knee over backwards while doing screwed pipefitting. Like when you break a chicken thigh off the drumstick. My doctor put me on 2 Serotonin based drugs, Elavil and Ralivia. The Ralivia was available in only 200 mg doses. So when I got accustomed to the first level, he booster me to 2 a day. Fantastic. Pain was gone for a long time. It was only when I got divorced and with my new wife that my new pharmacist noticed the 2 drugs had bad potential. I had 4 serious side affects and nearly in the gonna die position.
He made me quit in 2 weeks without help. Nothing to deaden the withdrawal. I was even left at work, while I detoxed.
Then he replaced them with percs. Helped with the pain from the arthritis and made it so I could work, while I waited for the surgeon since it was WCB.
Then I had an antique wardrobe tip over while I was moving it at work hurting the back and a little bit of the shoulder.
Then the WCB required provider program destroyed my shoulder. Next came a surgery on the left shoulder. Then the next physiotherapist didn't listen to the restrictions and tore the repaired rotator cuff, again.
Another surgery and another year of therapy because I had frozen shoulder.
Then my luck continues. Last October 1 after 10 days back to work I was tboned on the job. By an uninsured, unlicensed, unregistered driver. I had just tapered off the percocet to T3s, so I was taking up to 8 a day plus MM.

This Wednesday it will be 2 weeks as nice I ran out cold Turkey, because I never noticed the lack of refills. Next appointment available was a week away. So I have spent the last 10 days fighting for my health. Not my life this time. I've had to fight back from a concussion and whiplash in the last 6 months. Life has sucked. Now I realize it was the addiction creating the overboard pain so I needed it like the leech friend who hang around.
So I understand. Over 10 years of being a legal addict.

And today I was turned down for a job because I have THC in my system even though its prescription. FML
Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
One can't help but wonder if we've created a society, where the stresses are so great, people are increasingly finding drugs are the only way to deal with life ??

Grizz
So many of us having to support families in this high priced world, while dealing with wrecked bodies. We must make money to survive. Or be called a leech on society.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
I can say with 100% certainty it is there...
Teenagers never lie do they?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
A self prescribed opiate user, sound like they still have their hold on you, try and stop for a week, let me know how that works out for ya........
I've been off T3s for almost 2 weeks. I've had to clean the toilet 6 times. I've spent days on the couch, shivering being cared for by my wife and 6 year old daughter. Now I have to find a job that a gimp can do whole I try to get better, while having multiple work restrictions and chronic pain.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Yup you are an addict my man. So am I. I snapped my right knee over backwards while doing screwed pipefitting. Like when you break a chicken thigh off the drumstick. My doctor put me on 2 Serotonin based drugs, Elavil and Ralivia. The Ralivia was available in only 200 mg doses. So when I got accustomed to the first level, he booster me to 2 a day. Fantastic. Pain was gone for a long time. It was only when I got divorced and with my new wife that my new pharmacist noticed the 2 drugs had bad potential. I had 4 serious side affects and nearly in the gonna die position.
He made me quit in 2 weeks without help. Nothing to deaden the withdrawal. I was even left at work, while I detoxed.
Then he replaced them with percs. Helped with the pain from the arthritis and made it so I could work, while I waited for the surgeon since it was WCB.
Then I had an antique wardrobe tip over while I was moving it at work hurting the back and a little bit of the shoulder.
Then the WCB required provider program destroyed my shoulder. Next came a surgery on the left shoulder. Then the next physiotherapist didn't listen to the restrictions and tore the repaired rotator cuff, again.
Another surgery and another year of therapy because I had frozen shoulder.
Then my luck continues. Last October 1 after 10 days back to work I was tboned on the job. By an uninsured, unlicensed, unregistered driver. I had just tapered off the percocet to T3s, so I was taking up to 8 a day plus MM.

This Wednesday it will be 2 weeks as nice I ran out cold Turkey, because I never noticed the lack of refills. Next appointment available was a week away. So I have spent the last 10 days fighting for my health. Not my life this time. I've had to fight back from a concussion and whiplash in the last 6 months. Life has sucked. Now I realize it was the addiction creating the overboard pain so I needed it like the leech friend who hang around.
So I understand. Over 10 years of being a legal addict.

And today I was turned down for a job because I have THC in my system even though its prescription. FML
Feel for you bud!! hang in there.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Banned

Thanks guys for being honest ( moose knuckle and mr Dave) I don’t have much experience with drugs and I find it interesting the experience you share.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Thanks guys for being honest ( moose knuckle and mr Dave) I don’t have much experience with drugs and I find it interesting the experience you share.
X2 I'm sure there are a lot of members who are hooked on these pain killers but arent willing to share. I have been lucky to not have the cronic pain of needing them full time but I did get a hold of some pretty good pain killers when I was having back issues in my younger days on the rigs. When the supply I had ran out it was hell, not coming down off the drugs or anything but having to deal with the pain while working. Lucky for me I got better. I think lots of the finger wagers have not been faced with the decision of having to take drugs to deal with the pain or not pay the bills.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
X2 I'm sure there are a lot of members who are hooked on these pain killers but arent willing to share. I have been lucky to not have the cronic pain of needing them full time but I did get a hold of some pretty good pain killers when I was having back issues in my younger days on the rigs. When the supply I had ran out it was hell, not coming down off the drugs or anything but having to deal with the pain while working. Lucky for me I got better. I think lots of the finger wagers have not been faced with the decision of having to take drugs to deal with the pain or not pay the bills.
My wife has chronic head aches and back pain since her accident. I've been trying to push her to stay off the prescriptions due to side effects and hard on the liver. I would really like to see her fixed but don't know if that'll ever happen. She does get relief from the prescriptions. I appreciate the experience good and bad that is shared here.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 PM

In 1984 I crushed my left lower leg it took 8 hours on a mattress in the back out of the bush in an old station wagon to get to the hospital,i had 14 breaks in my foot and leg.I stayed in a small hospital for two days and dr's didn't know what to do so they flew to thunder bay,there the surgeon had me flown to Toronto where I spent 12 weeks without getting out of bed with my leg in some cage with pins holding every thing in place.There is where my addiction started.

They said I would never be able to walk in the bush again,2 years latter I bought a new skidder and limped for 12 hours a days,but never was on one pill for 20 years.20 years latter I owned 2 new homes and had the world by the nuts.

Then in 2004 I got cancer in my lower part of my body and spent 75000 on fling around to doctors of my own cash to try and survive,not counting lost wages.I was on fentanyl patch for 3 years,infact I had 2 on for a while 100 plus 25,then i got surgery and went and got cleaned up.They said I would die of a heart attack if I tappered to fast ,I was suppose to be there 28 days I checked out in ten days..But I had to go back to work or go hungry.Never took a pill till my next deal five years later.

I went back to work so weak I could hardly stay on my feet,i put in 18 month's straight without going home on the pipeline in new brunswick,i did 3 more years all clean and some pecker head rear ends me doing 140 with an f250 while I was waiting for the light to turn green. He busted me all up,but I went 6 hours a day for physo for 10 months and buy this time I was back on the pills.Agian 15 months ago I got clean up,but I new something was not right I had to much pain in my head.

So I went for and mri and nothing showed up,i said you guys are crazy I will go get my own,went to the states last week and they found the problem,but I will need some serious head sugrey with titanium plates in to plug up the holes,i see two neuro surgeons tomorrow and I know I will be back on the pills for a while.

So I got another hill to climb ,but I am no spring chicken,but they will patch me up and the success rate is very good for what I need done,i will get clean if my heart holds out and I will go back logging come hell or high water.I will bid on some contracts for forest prep sites and get em done.I can't lay home and die,which I will if don't do something.

I get paid for my accident so I have enough to live,but not my for my mental health.A stale mind is the devils play ground and I got no room for him in my life,i let him in and it's good night dick.If I ever said anything online that was rude,those were one of my bad days,so I apologize if I did.

Being in pain alone all days is a nightmare,so why not be in pain trying to make a decent living,i will hire guys and I can run all kinda rigs.

.I try and make it sound simple,but trust me I will be tested to the limit this time and I always stay positive,a guy has to.I really have know idear what the backend of this new surgery has in store for me.

So you can be an addict and still want to live,but the main thing is the word LIVE,there's only one other choice and I will not go that route.I never gave up in my life ,so the next year or 2 will be one big hill to climb.Somtimes a guy needs a challenge to keep him alive.The worst thing is I may have to guide for fishing for the rest of my days,but that was my main plan years ago.

I seen some good friends die from booze and drugs ,some by accidents and some just gave into there demons,either way I will catch them on the other side,there probably laughing there heads off seeing me on a computer.

Wish every one the best.
Cheers
JD

Last edited by JD848; 03-18-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I don't understand how a person can wilfully take crap that will kill them, down pills with whisky and carry on.....I broke my back in my army days, later on had issues and infection set in, lost the ability to walk etc.....long story said after a few years of a constant battle I was upright and going to physio etc, working out but popping pain pills as prescribed then I had to sit with the doctor and they said now we weed you off the meds....another battle....sweating, shaking, aching, freaking hell but stuck with it as per the doctors orders.....that part of western medicine I understand but never and still can't understand the will to do something to your body that can kill you....and yes I know of a few who have or know of a buddy who knows of people who live this life style

Very sad.....going for a run now!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
I will be. I've got a beautiful wife half my age and a highly intelligent daughter who make up my world. Struggle to find work I can do, but if I can kill this monkey on my back it may be easier
Not many people will hire a person with disabilities, thanks to the fear of WCB. Thinking of making a sign and go beg for a job on Highway 2. Mass advertising lol. Desperate times call for desperate measures, Walmart is changing its greeter positions to include ladders and I'm banned from them.

The biggest issue I see with the other addicts I know, is the lack of buzz. I had a former coworker come by to give daughter a present this weekend. She was doing 2 8balls a week while driving the seniors around on a bus... Then after a while made it 3 months off coke. She and a friend hooked up and got high, then had to fight of going to sleep. They realized it was laced. She quit for that period, but nothing got her buzzed. She's back on.
But you have to know her back story. Molested, untreated. Crawled under her dead step father to pry the phone from his dead hand to call for help, untreated. Those that don't understand why people end up hooked, it's often from unsupported trauma. I think the odd one on here may have read between the lines on some of my posts and can guess where mine began. Alcoholic and smoking pot by 12. Suicidal, and depressed, with an alcoholic and suicidal mother after we told Betty Talbot she was going to die because the cops didn't believe her.

Don't judge addicts just because they are addicts. Many are destroyed children.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I don't understand how a person can wilfully take crap that will kill them, down pills with whisky and carry on.....I broke my back in my army days, later on had issues and infection set in, lost the ability to walk etc.....long story said after a few years of a constant battle I was upright and going to physio etc, working out but popping pain pills as prescribed then I had to sit with the doctor and they said now we weed you off the meds....another battle....sweating, shaking, aching, freaking hell but stuck with it as per the doctors orders.....that part of western medicine I understand but never and still can't understand the will to do something to your body that can kill you....and yes I know of a few who have or know of a buddy who knows of people who live this life style

Very sad.....going for a run now!
Lucky you. Spines can be fused. Knees and shoulders don't turn out well if they don't bend well or they are solid. Big difference.
I can run a block and my knee screams. I have a 26 year old red headed wife. Trust me I wish I could kneel like I used to.
My fun involves less pain causing activities with my child. You wouldn't believe how many playgrounds in Alberta we have played in. My girl has landed dozens of trout and more pike. She shoots like her mother and fights like her dad. Don't judge us because your injury healed nicely.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM

I just got back home and the surgeon was called in to surgery someone that got hurt in an accident this morning,so I saw the regular neurologist and he handed me a prescription for pain meds till I see the surgeon,i told him to keep it.

I need to get what's wrong fixed,not mask it over.

Put me on pain meds and make me wait 2 months for surgery then it's hard to get off them.

I am allergic to advil so I guest just tough it out the best I can.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Lucky you. Spines can be fused. Knees and shoulders don't turn out well if they don't bend well or they are solid. Big difference.
I can run a block and my knee screams. I have a 26 year old red headed wife. Trust me I wish I could kneel like I used to.
My fun involves less pain causing activities with my child. You wouldn't believe how many playgrounds in Alberta we have played in. My girl has landed dozens of trout and more pike. She shoots like her mother and fights like her dad. Don't judge us because your injury healed nicely.
Injury never " healed " nicely but get by as with everything in life....never judge anyone...just sometimes question choices but that's what life is about.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Banned

I have known several people who have overdosed and died from drug use. It’s a shame, I was there very briefly in my younger years. Darkest time in my life, just say no
Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Lots of problems in Lethbridge now for the last couple years. Lots of people in the obituaries in this area that died from drugs legal and illegal. Been to funerals from these type of deaths. Not fond of drug dealers at all. Have a brother in law that is addicted and very unpredictable. Drove both my wifes parents to a early grave cause of the stress of having a child addicted and in prison a couple of times. Had dope dealers calling in laws house to collect drug debt. Lots of enabling too.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I just got back home and the surgeon was called in to surgery someone that got hurt in an accident this morning,so I saw the regular neurologist and he handed me a prescription for pain meds till I see the surgeon,i told him to keep it.

I need to get what's wrong fixed,not mask it over.

Put me on pain meds and make me wait 2 months for surgery then it's hard to get off them.

I am allergic to advil so I guest just tough it out the best I can.
I commend your tolerance to pain and your attitude to the medication. Every freeking day the pain is absolutely diabolical getting out of bed. YES, I've been been prescribed for HARD pain killers. I take 2 tramadol every morning. I told my DR, that I need to be a productive member of society and I need to work. Being "whacked" would kill the pain but being useless is worse.
It's kind of a "stockholm syndrome"...BIZARRE..you get used to the LEVEL 10 pain threshold...Let me tell you, if these healthcare providers had the pain we patients had, they'd be fixing themselves. Always have an EXIT plan in case of
Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 PM
Banned

Unfortunate it hasn’t killed my enemies yet. I’m sure it’s coming though
I say this in a joking way, honestly.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
I commend your tolerance to pain and your attitude to the medication. Every freeking day the pain is absolutely diabolical getting out of bed. YES, I've been been prescribed for HARD pain killers. I take 2 tramadol every morning. I told my DR, that I need to be a productive member of society and I need to work. Being "whacked" would kill the pain but being useless is worse.
It's kind of a "stockholm syndrome"...BIZARRE..you get used to the LEVEL 10 pain threshold...Let me tell you, if these healthcare providers had the pain we patients had, they'd be fixing themselves. Always have an EXIT plan in case of
I hear exactly where your coming from and this is what this threads about,letting others know there not alone.I could give a rats arrs on the ones who ran there prefect life.Lots of guy bs me before.

There's other topic on this site about heart problems and there all are worried about the big exit in life at 50,life isn't a perfect game and sometimes you do your best at who you are.But there 40 lbs over weight dying ten times faster than drug addicts,but they have all the right answers to every ones problems.

Today I could have said yes thanks,but that's an old road I ran years ago,but still they offered that to put me on the back burner and I said no thanks.

12 addicts die every day in this country every day,but one with heart problems dies every 7 minutes.One chooses to die faster then the other and the other just slowly eats till all arteries are rock hard.The only thing in common is there both addicts.

The only difference from a alcoholic at home and a drunk on the streets is money,if both had the same amount of cash they would both live the same life.Some may say I work hard every day and that bum never works,yet both have the same addictions.

If we all look at the number of addicts in this country ,not one would have a clean slate,just because you over came some bad problem in your life doesn't mean your not an addict ,some just do it better than others.

So this all boils down to addiction,is it drug,greed.money ,sex,ego,booze,guns,over spending to make your self feel better and the list could be ten miles long.

Only one common factor and that is addiction,some think there life is perfect and very good for them,but them 12 who hit the ditch every day on the wrong road were just addicts that lost control of there lives by criminals who thrive on pure greed to satisfy there week goals in life on others lives.

Good hard worken folks run there own lives and don't kill addicts.I never meet anyone who never had some sort of addiction,if they didn't then there not human.Good people don't do in other people,so why can we see the big problems with others lives and admit our own demons,but the law can't catch the back end to these killers.

My grammar sucks,but I hope it still comes out correct.

Cheers
JD
Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 AM

I am not young and have lived through many very painfully experiences in my life. When dealing with pain in our modern world one always has a choice. Unfortunately today it is so easy to opt for the easy way and accept whatever drug your physician is willing to prescribe. This so called drug crisis did not exist as late as 50 years ago. Simply put, the drugs did not exist and people had to deal with whatever discomfort presented itself. For this, I blame our modern day physicians. They are far too willing to prescribe whatever drug available to alleviate their patients discomfort.
When it comes to street drugs I have even less sympathy. Anyone willing to risk taking whatever drug becomes available does so knowing that they clearly do not know what drug or drugs they may be consuming. In most cases, there is a clear choice as to whether or not to take whatever product is made available to them. Why would any intelligent individual choose to take any substance they did not know for one hundred percent certainly what substance they were taking.
It now appears that our collective society has accepted social responsibility for anyone and everyone who has found themselves with drug addictions or drug related problems.
I say this knowing many will interpret my statements with extreme opposition.
Fact is, reality is reality, live with it.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Prescription painkillers and their “overuse” is rampant in our world. Even with our own members is see, it’s good to hear these stories. A few years ago I tried to rip my arm off and had surgery, when I woke from the surgery I couldn’t believe the pain I was in. Seriously, I’d felt lots of pain before but I wasn’t prepared for that kind of pain.

The doc sent me home with a mitfull of Percocet and I knew I loved it right away...like a warm hug from your mom.

Second day after surgery I was out in my special sling, arm totally immobilized as it would be for 3 months to come. A random stranger saw the sling and said something to the effect of “those slings are a sign that you really hurt yourself bad etc”. He told me he’d been in one and had one piece of advice...”stay away from the drugs man! The doctors will give you all you want but don’t take them.”

I never took another one and I’m glad I didn’t, man they feel nice. I think that dude might have been an angel sent to protect me from my own addictive personality.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
I am not young and have lived through many very painfully experiences in my life. When dealing with pain in our modern world one always has a choice. Unfortunately today it is so easy to opt for the easy way and accept whatever drug your physician is willing to prescribe. This so called drug crisis did not exist as late as 50 years ago. Simply put, the drugs did not exist and people had to deal with whatever discomfort presented itself. For this, I blame our modern day physicians. They are far too willing to prescribe whatever drug available to alleviate their patients discomfort.
When it comes to street drugs I have even less sympathy. Anyone willing to risk taking whatever drug becomes available does so knowing that they clearly do not know what drug or drugs they may be consuming. In most cases, there is a clear choice as to whether or not to take whatever product is made available to them. Why would any intelligent individual choose to take any substance they did not know for one hundred percent certainly what substance they were taking.
It now appears that our collective society has accepted social responsibility for anyone and everyone who has found themselves with drug addictions or drug related problems.
I say this knowing many will interpret my statements with extreme opposition.
Fact is, reality is reality, live with it.
The thing with the medical system is the doctors only deal drugs. When I finally saw my pill pusher he was going to write me another script. An addict is a money maker, back every month. I've probably paid for this guys new BMW. When I asked for sleeping pills because I haven't slept through the night in a decade, he wouldn't give me anything. Mental heath is a non subject with him, and when I mentioned MM he ran from the room, literally.
I think the street drug issue is a 2 fold problem. Too many adults who grew up under the old conservative government, who let Social Services outlaw discipline. We are now on the third generation of no morals being enforced. So now we have groups who never respected the laws, and ended up busted. Next they become unemployable due to records. And despite your thought there wasn't a drug problem 50 years ago, I will dispute this. It just wasn't in rural Alberta with its low white as rice farming population.
We have now dirt bags pressing knock off pills using this crap and food dye. In the 60's and 70's the drugs were made my graduates of universities, now the crap comes in from China. The addicts are getting smarter, because the less than smart ones die.

One thing I found out after 2 years of therapy, a lot of people are selling half of their prescription. I didn't meet many people on percs who weren't making money off them, unless they were addicted and hoarding them.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The thing with the medical system is the doctors only deal drugs. When I finally saw my pill pusher he was going to write me another script. An addict is a money maker, back every month. I've probably paid for this guys new BMW. When I asked for sleeping pills because I haven't slept through the night in a decade, he wouldn't give me anything. Mental heath is a non subject with him, and when I mentioned MM he ran from the room, literally.
I think the street drug issue is a 2 fold problem. Too many adults who grew up under the old conservative government, who let Social Services outlaw discipline. We are now on the third generation of no morals being enforced. So now we have groups who never respected the laws, and ended up busted. Next they become unemployable due to records. And despite your thought there wasn't a drug problem 50 years ago, I will dispute this. It just wasn't in rural Alberta with its low white as rice farming population.
We have now dirt bags pressing knock off pills using this crap and food dye. In the 60's and 70's the drugs were made my graduates of universities, now the crap comes in from China. The addicts are getting smarter, because the less than smart ones die.

One thing I found out after 2 years of therapy, a lot of people are selling half of their prescription. I didn't meet many people on percs who weren't making money off them, unless they were addicted and hoarding them.
While I appreciate what you are going thru, victimizing 3 generations because of a conservative govt is laughable at best. Suggesting a left leaning party was the cause would fall into the same category (to be non partisan about it).
Victim mentality is what's predominantly wrong with society today.
signed, a 1985 born Millenial
Old 03-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Sobering reading some of your comments guys.

Born and raised in Methbridge, lots of use there downtown and now in working downtown Calgary. Walked past someone on the beltline doing meth in the open and saw lots of needle use in Lethbridge. Worst was a mother doing meth/fentanyl all night (viewed on surveillance camera day after) while baby sitting her ~6 year old daughter. That is what hurts me the most the damage they do to loved ones and how it will likely affect sons and daughters down the road further feeding the addiction cycle.

Abusive drug use selfish but what can be done? The war on drugs has been negative and these people need mental health support which is hard to come by. For the guys who need it to manage pain good on you for managing your health, for the addicts they need help not just for themselves but for the ones who care about them or depend on them. I dont understand the hardline attitude people have, if that was your kid you would want them to have a chance to recover.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 AM

Lots of excuses by drug addicts and alcoholics to why they do what they do.
Nothing new from that.
The Governments fault, my Sister, my Father, the Police, the Doctor, etc etc etc.
Fortunately for all of society, most people are stronger and rise above that.
Or at the very least, quit drugs and become something their Family can be proud of.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
In 1984 I crushed my left lower leg it took 8 hours on a mattress in the back out of the bush in an old station wagon to get to the hospital,i had 14 breaks in my foot and leg.I stayed in a small hospital for two days and dr's didn't know what to do so they flew to thunder bay,there the surgeon had me flown to Toronto where I spent 12 weeks without getting out of bed with my leg in some cage with pins holding every thing in place.There is where my addiction started.

They said I would never be able to walk in the bush again,2 years latter I bought a new skidder and limped for 12 hours a days,but never was on one pill for 20 years.20 years latter I owned 2 new homes and had the world by the nuts.

Then in 2004 I got cancer in my lower part of my body and spent 75000 on fling around to doctors of my own cash to try and survive,not counting lost wages.I was on fentanyl patch for 3 years,infact I had 2 on for a while 100 plus 25,then i got surgery and went and got cleaned up.They said I would die of a heart attack if I tappered to fast ,I was suppose to be there 28 days I checked out in ten days..But I had to go back to work or go hungry.Never took a pill till my next deal five years later.

I went back to work so weak I could hardly stay on my feet,i put in 18 month's straight without going home on the pipeline in new brunswick,i did 3 more years all clean and some pecker head rear ends me doing 140 with an f250 while I was waiting for the light to turn green. He busted me all up,but I went 6 hours a day for physo for 10 months and buy this time I was back on the pills.Agian 15 months ago I got clean up,but I new something was not right I had to much pain in my head.

So I went for and mri and nothing showed up,i said you guys are crazy I will go get my own,went to the states last week and they found the problem,but I will need some serious head sugrey with titanium plates in to plug up the holes,i see two neuro surgeons tomorrow and I know I will be back on the pills for a while.

So I got another hill to climb ,but I am no spring chicken,but they will patch me up and the success rate is very good for what I need done,i will get clean if my heart holds out and I will go back logging come hell or high water.I will bid on some contracts for forest prep sites and get em done.I can't lay home and die,which I will if don't do something.

I get paid for my accident so I have enough to live,but not my for my mental health.A stale mind is the devils play ground and I got no room for him in my life,i let him in and it's good night dick.If I ever said anything online that was rude,those were one of my bad days,so I apologize if I did.

Being in pain alone all days is a nightmare,so why not be in pain trying to make a decent living,i will hire guys and I can run all kinda rigs.

.I try and make it sound simple,but trust me I will be tested to the limit this time and I always stay positive,a guy has to.I really have know idear what the backend of this new surgery has in store for me.

So you can be an addict and still want to live,but the main thing is the word LIVE,there's only one other choice and I will not go that route.I never gave up in my life ,so the next year or 2 will be one big hill to climb.Somtimes a guy needs a challenge to keep him alive.The worst thing is I may have to guide for fishing for the rest of my days,but that was my main plan years ago.

I seen some good friends die from booze and drugs ,some by accidents and some just gave into there demons,either way I will catch them on the other side,there probably laughing there heads off seeing me on a computer.

Wish every one the best.
Cheers
JD
First of what a great thread, cheers to you,you are definitely not a quitter wish nothing but good luck in the future God knows you deserve it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
First of what a great thread, cheers to you,you are definitely not a quitter wish nothing but good luck in the future God knows you deserve it.
Ditto on that - I've learned a lot from reading this thread. It's eye-opening to see how people struggle with pain and addiction, and how they deal with that.

I know how susceptible I am to bad habits; and having severe chronic pain during periods of my life, I can appreciate how many folks struggle.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Cheers and respect to you who've shared difficult stories here. I've had many disadvantages in life, but not nearly the pain or physical accidents/misfortunes I'm reading here.

All the best to you and fight on!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
Lots of excuses by drug addicts and alcoholics to why they do what they do.
Nothing new from that.
The Governments fault, my Sister, my Father, the Police, the Doctor, etc etc etc.
Fortunately for all of society, most people are stronger and rise above that.
Or at the very least, quit drugs and become something their Family can be proud of.
True....it's a battle for those who walk that road...but like I mentioned earlier...choices.