Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 01:25 PM

Default Old shotguns using new shells

Hey there,

First off I am an absolute noob to this stuff so be gentle haha. But I had plans to shoot an old shotgun my grandpa has but I thought I heard you have to shoot steel shot now instead of lead. And the issue being that older shotguns cannot shoot the steel shot supposedly.

Can guns shoot both steel and lead?

Another side bar of this could also be that the skeet range we went to once may have stipulated the steel shot - so I could be messing up my facts as well on what can be shot where/when.

And another thing is where is the best deal and place to get cheap shotgun ammo for skeet shooting. What is a good price?

Any clarity would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 03-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Default steel is required for migratory and for some federal grounds like Wainwright base

Lead shot is permitted for most upland game although many people have switched to non toxic shot due to health concerns over lead shot or lead bullets in game meat. I don't know of a skeet range that insisted on steel shot but most will insist you shoot smaller shot than 6 shot so 7.5 8 or 9 are OK.

Many shotguns shoot both but it is generally the choke of the barrels rather than the age of the gun. Any open choke like IC is generally OK for steel (and lead). Never shoot steel shot through a fixed full choke old shotgun.

My only concern when you state your grandpas gun is that it was designed to shoot old black powder or is damascus barrel both of which will not withstand the pressures of todays modern shot shells. If in doubt have the gun checked by a competent gun smith. l
Old 03-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Never shoot steel though a full choke on any shotgun-EVER
Old 03-18-2019, 03:29 PM

I am not aware of any skeet range in Alberta that requires steel shot. Seeing that you are listed as being in Edmonton, I am wondering which skeet range you were at, and which skeet range you intend to shoot at, because there are no skeet ranges in the immediate Edmonton area.Our skeet range at Camrose, is one of the closest skeet ranges to Edmonton, other than the skeet range at Beaverhill Sporting clays, and if you are paying sporting clays prices, you might as well shoot sporting clays.

As to using steel in older shotguns, many older guns are not approved for steel shot, regardless of the choke, the forcing cones can suffer gouging and scratching from steel shot. Larger steel shot and higher velocities increases the risk of damage. As to buying target loads, swing by Cabelas now, and you can pick up Challenger lead shot target loads at under $7 per box on sale.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am not aware of any skeet range in Alberta that requires steel shot. Seeing that you are listed as being in Edmonton, I am wondering which skeet range you were at, and which skeet range you intend to shoot at, because there are no skeet ranges in the immediate Edmonton area.Our skeet range at Camrose, is one of the closest skeet ranges to Edmonton, other than the skeet range at Beaverhill Sporting clays, and if you are paying sporting clays prices, you might as well shoot sporting clays.

As to using steel in older shotguns, many older guns are not approved for steel shot, regardless of the choke, the forcing cones can suffer gouging and scratching from steel shot. Larger steel shot and higher velocities increases the risk of damage. As to buying target loads, swing by Cabelas now, and you can pick up Challenger lead shot target loads at under $7 per box on sale.
Skeet ranges on military bases have this requirement. Federal land. It is the reason the one at CFB Suffield petered out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-18-2019, 03:43 PM

Would get expensive quick
Old 03-18-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Skeet ranges on military bases have this requirement. Federal land. It is the reason the one at CFB Suffield petered out.
So which military bases in Alberta still have operational skeet fields?
Old 03-18-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Would get expensive quick
Not to mention that its tough enough to shoot skeet with a 410 using lead shot, steel would make it more difficult yet, having to use larger shot size and even fewer pellets.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Hey there,

First off I am an absolute noob to this stuff so be gentle haha. But I had plans to shoot an old shotgun my grandpa has but I thought I heard you have to shoot steel shot now instead of lead. And the issue being that older shotguns cannot shoot the steel shot supposedly.

Can guns shoot both steel and lead?

Another side bar of this could also be that the skeet range we went to once may have stipulated the steel shot - so I could be messing up my facts as well on what can be shot where/when.

And another thing is where is the best deal and place to get cheap shotgun ammo for skeet shooting. What is a good price?

Any clarity would be appreciated.

Thank you!
First off, just how old is the shotgun?
It could very well be that even smokeless modern loads are too high pressure for it!
As far as shooting steel goes, I refrain from it in most guns unless I have opened up both the chokes and forcing cones ,or if the gun is designated for steel.
The majority of the guns I shoot are not .
Yup,pics would be nice!
Cat
Old 03-18-2019, 10:20 PM

Old 03-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Ok guys I got some updates;

I must have misheard or something regarding the steel shot because its beaver hills sporting clays for the skeet place and they dont require steel shot.

And my grandpas gun is a reminton 12 gauge automatic sportsman 58.

I dont know where I heard the steel shot thing, but it was relatively recently. Oh well.

On a side note he also has a .22 - Cooey model 60 bolt action.

Im getting my gun license to be able to shoot both of these recreationally to start anyways. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks for replies thus far....!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:

I must have misheard or something regarding the steel shot because its beaver hills sporting clays for the skeet place and they dont require steel shot.

I dont know where I heard the steel shot thing, but it was relatively recently. Oh well.

Im getting my gun license to be able to shoot both of these recreationally to start anyways. Really looking forward to it.

If you want to shoot skeet, you can shoot it at Camrose for 1/4 of the cost of shooting skeet at Beaver Hill. If you want to shoot sporting clays, buy a membership at Beaverhill and save about 50% over the non member price.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:

The 58 is the forerunner to the 1100, the big difference is the 1100 automatically regulates the gas fir ejection and the 58 needs to be manually adjusted .
They are great guns and very reliable
They handle modern lead quite well.
Cat
Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM

if you have a full choke, bulging your barrel may/may not occur immediately.

may if you put enough rounds through it, eventually, either way, does put more strain on your barrel.

ive been putting steel through a 30 year old Remington sportsman with a full choke(typically 3 inch magnums) since the restriction came into affect. not many rounds mind you, maybe 60 a year?

no problems with mine so far.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
if you have a full choke, bulging your barrel may/may not occur immediately.

may if you put enough rounds through it, eventually, either way, does put more strain on your barrel.

ive been putting steel through a 30 year old Remington sportsman with a full choke(typically 3 inch magnums) since the restriction came into affect. not many rounds mind you, maybe 60 a year?

no problems with mine so far.
Yikes, you are playing with fire
Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM

fire is my middle name,,,,,,,,
Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM

I don't believe that Remington 58's were never produced in 3" versions so you are pushing 3" shells through a gun designed for 2 3/4" ammo. Don't you have problems with ejecting empties even if it feeds to the chamber reliably? Also, many of the '58 receivers would develop a stress crack running back from the slot that is to the rear of the ejection port. It won't likely take long if you keep using 3" loads....just sayin'.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
I don't believe that Remington 58's were never produced in 3" versions so you are pushing 3" shells through a gun designed for 2 3/4" ammo. Don't you have problems with ejecting empties even if it feeds to the chamber reliably? Also, many of the '58 receivers would develop a stress crack running back from the slot that is to the rear of the ejection port. It won't likely take long if you keep using 3" loads....just sayin'.
I don't think he mentioned 3" ammo.
Open up the forcing cone and the full choke and it will be fine with 2 3/4" steel ammo if the receiver is in good shape.
Cat
Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 PM

But it makes no sense, of course, to alter such a low value, vintage gun.
Shoot a Remington 58 with lead skeet or trap loads or send it down the road.
Investing more money in it is inadvisable.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Unless a person is only going to shoot a few boxes of ammo at waterfowl each year and alsobwants to shoot clays every now and then
Of course a person could shoot Bismuth Ammo out of it if only two or three boxes of waterfowl Ammo a year is the goal
Cat
Old 03-19-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Financially, it makes no sense. However, there are other considerations than financial. On the odd occasion, I still go out and shoot one of the old guns that my grandpa taught me with.

And I'm fixing up an old chainsaw that has little value as it was the saw that he taught me to use a chainsaw with. In good running order, that saw is worth $40 tops. So what if I sink $100 into it to get it running properly. Be nice to hear the old girl run again.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Shotgun

Quote:

And I was thinking it was an old double barrel or something.

Now I feel old ...
Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
fire is my middle name,,,,,,,,
That bulge in the barrel is not because the shotty is happy to see you.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 AM

mines a sportsman 12 magnum.

dressed down 870?
Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Took a look at the shotgun today and it does have the manual ejection knob on it. Not sure how to do that yet, but im sure a little googling will do me good on that.

And to one of the other fellows talking about 2 3/4” shells - that was just confirmed by my grandpa. In saying that, am i able to buy those easily still? Or are they a weird size?

He also has some really old shells - any advisable time frame to use shells in, do they go bad?

Another question is are you allowed to hunt ducks etc witb the lead shot? I think it has to be steel right? Maybe thats how i started getting all of this confused.

Any suggestions for someone (gunsmith etc) in the edmonton area to look at the gun and maybe do some minor cleaning/maitenance.

Thanks guys! Help has been great so far.

He also mentioned that the .22 is able to do LR and shorts supposedly. But I havent looked that up yet.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Took a look at the shotgun today and it does have the manual ejection knob on it. Not sure how to do that yet, but im sure a little googling will do me good on that.

And to one of the other fellows talking about 2 3/4” shells - that was just confirmed by my grandpa. In saying that, am i able to buy those easily still? Or are they a weird size?

He also has some really old shells - any advisable time frame to use shells in, do they go bad?

Another question is are you allowed to hunt ducks etc witb the lead shot? I think it has to be steel right? Maybe thats how i started getting all of this confused.

Any suggestions for someone (gunsmith etc) in the edmonton area to look at the gun and maybe do some minor cleaning/maitenance.

Thanks guys! Help has been great so far.

He also mentioned that the .22 is able to do LR and shorts supposedly. But I havent looked that up yet.
Once you have taken your PAL and Hunter Safety Course most of your questions will be answered.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Default Browning BPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Never shoot steel though a full choke on any shotgun-EVER
I have an early Browning BPS full choke that I have shot a lot of steel through.
Patterns better than my Citori with screw in chokes.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Default Steel

i phoned Remington and they told me I could shoot up to 2 steel shot through my full choke 12 guage.
Patterns fine.