Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 04:35 PM

It is a cute little truck. For short highway drives or in town as a DD I think it would be great, even haul small things. It is a SUV with an open back, not great for everything but good for lots.
I can't see myself buying one because I have full size trucks, but the price is good for a Lariat, mid 40's. I like it for what it is.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-19-2018, 05:49 PM

I generally like the look of the GMC Canyon ZR1, Ford Ranger better than the Taco but you just can't beat the TACO in re-sale or quality.

These small trucks would be great in town and purely "going fishing or exploring in tough places" rigs.

Unfortunately, I need to take stuff with me and need payload. 2 adults, a reasonable amount of camping gear and you are at payload on those - so towing all but the lightest zodiac or tinner and you are overloaded.

For that reason I'm in a full size. A littler more fuel to burn, a little tighter to park, but no worries about hauling my camping gear, a few adults and towing a boat.

Having said that the Ford Ranger Raptor or ZR1 Bison would be a blast to own.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:56 PM

You must have some pretty heavy friends or take alot of stuff camping if payload is a concern EZM. You could stuff four 300 lb adults in there and stuff have capacity for about 500 lbs of stuff.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:05 AM

Your payload numbers are for a regular cab two wheel drive. Two of your 300 lb buddies will be in the box with the rest of your payload. Lol
Old 12-20-2018, 07:19 AM

7,500 lbs (3,401 kg) of maximum towing capacity and 1,860 lbs (843 kg) of payload weight for the trucks, which is fairly respectable.. If it can actually haul that much easily is another story. For my camping setup of a tent trailer (2000lbs), bike (300lbs), and beer (100lbs) it should do fine.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
Your payload numbers are for a regular cab two wheel drive. Two of your 300 lb buddies will be in the box with the rest of your payload. Lol
Maybe

I just Googled Ranger payload and saw 1,860 lb. Seemed respectable to me and likely not that much different from a F150. Saying two adults and camping gear is going to max it out seemed a bit much though.....
Old 12-20-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
which is really no different than 90% of the half tons out there. Load most 1/2tons with 4 adults + gear and they are very close to capacity.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Ranger

Has anyone driven, or bought one of these yet?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
North America finally getting the Aussie Ranger eh? What a shame we are not getting the diesel.
Look at the stats, this is not a "compact" truck as you are used to them. It can carry 850kg in the bed and tow 3400kg. They are as much or more comfortable to ride in than a full-size. All you lose out is bed size. Much nicer to park and drive in the cities too.
If they'd bring the diesel over, you'd get all that plus <10L/100km.
Diesel + DEF + Canadian Winter = Big Headaches

I have a 2018 Colorado that has exceptional fuel economy. On long highway trips 8.5 l/100 km. Average lifetime to date is 10.3 and that includes city,travel,towing boat at least 4 times a month and lots of idling to warm it up. Great!
Now the bad part is it hates cold weather. Several sensors packed it in last winter and again this winter. Now the DEF tank heater needs replacing. Parts are slow to show up and I have lost quite a few weekends.

I agree with everything else you have said but diesel is not the answer. I'm getting back into a gas job soon.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:20 PM

I sat in one the other day. Roominess is comparable to the Colorado. Interior and instruments a little nicer. Definitely more room than a Tacoma. I don't know what Toyota did with their seats and cab but I can barely move in them. I've had a couple Tacos and did not find the older models that way.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I sat in one the other day. Roominess is comparable to the Colorado. Interior and instruments a little nicer. Definitely more room than a Tacoma. I don't know what Toyota did with their seats and cab but I can barely move in them. I've had a couple Tacos and did not find the older models that way.
Its because the seats in tacos are like 8" off the ground. I still need to sit in one of these or hope one of my buddies gets one, I wont have funds for a few years to get one