Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
And to this point, those interested can watch this YouTube video by Paul Medel:

https://youtu.be/gvwn8MgI6Ms
He also has training videos on the iOS App Store (search for ElkNut) that are very helpful. I think it's just shy of $15.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
He also has training videos on the iOS App Store (search for ElkNut) that are very helpful. I think it's just shy of $15.
Another great guy who knows a ton about Elk vocals is Chris Roe. If I only knew half what those guys know.....
Old 09-25-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Another great guy who knows a ton about Elk vocals is Chris Roe. If I only knew half what those guys know.....
Indeed!
Old 09-26-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
He sure does. I am positive I posted a few of his videos on this forum somewhere last year or the year before.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 PM

We had a bull returning bugles back from 8-10 this morning. But he would only respond to my cow calling and after 10 he shut right up. We closed the distance from about 800 yards into 300 and tried the slow play technique when he went quiet but not luck. Any ideas why he would go quiet? Wind was also good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
We had a bull returning bugles back from 8-10 this morning. But he would only respond to my cow calling and after 10 he shut right up. We closed the distance from about 800 yards into 300 and tried the slow play technique when he went quiet but not luck. Any ideas why he would go quiet? Wind was also good

If he called back more than once from the same place he had cows. He was telling the cow “you” to come find him.

LC
Old 09-26-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If he called back more than once from the same place he had cows. He was telling the cow “you” to come find him.

LC

That’s kind of what I was thinking in my head at the time but didn’t make sense why he would be quiet when we got close

Old 10-10-2020, 11:34 PM

What about wet rainy days? What is a/the plan, beside staying home, lol. Went out and stayed out for four hours today. Nice walk and all, some misery, but probably should have stayed at home.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:50 AM

You can't kill them at home that's why guided hunts produce more animals you hunt 7 hard days no matter the weather good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2020, 12:27 PM

^ Thanks, captain!

Any useful info if anyone does anything different when it is raining? In my experience, they are quite and hardly move. Even during peak rut, bulls aren’t as vocal. While there would be an advantage of moving around bush quietly, rain gear takes it away and adds extra noise, which is also unnatural. I usually head after rain with the regular clothes, get pretty wet, but accomplish a lot more than with rain jacket/pants. When it is cold out, spending hours outdoors while being wet is not a lot of fun at all.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:35 PM

My experience is heat effects Elk movement. Rain, cold, snow changes little. I haven't had much luck in heavy winds but I suspect it has more to do with not being able to locate with sounds as well and it being harder to set up on them if you do locate as winds tend to shift, swirl, and change quickly in the bush. Light to med rain effects Elk very little even if it's steady all day, heavy down pour might make a difference....wouldn't know as I tend to.stick close to a fire at that point. I'm betting it's more of a I don't want to be moving around in this as opposed to they won't be moving around in this
Old 10-11-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Thanks, captain!

Any useful info if anyone does anything different when it is raining? In my experience, they are quite and hardly move. Even during peak rut, bulls aren’t as vocal. While there would be an advantage of moving around bush quietly, rain gear takes it away and adds extra noise, which is also unnatural. I usually head after rain with the regular clothes, get pretty wet, but accomplish a lot more than with rain jacket/pants. When it is cold out, spending hours outdoors while being wet is not a lot of fun at all.

Thanks.
You're welcome

Old 10-11-2020, 01:32 PM

^ Why bother posting when you have nothing add, really? Isn’t it obvious from my post above where I asked the question that I would get out? Not sure what the confusion is. Do you do anything differently when it rains? That is the question at hand.

Quote:
My experience is heat effects Elk movement. Rain, cold, snow changes little. I haven't had much luck in heavy winds but I suspect it has more to do with not being able to locate with sounds as well and it being harder to set up on them if you do locate as winds tend to shift, swirl, and change quickly in the bush. Light to med rain effects Elk very little even if it's steady all day, heavy down pour might make a difference....wouldn't know as I tend to.stick close to a fire at that point. I'm betting it's more of a I don't want to be moving around in this as opposed to they won't be moving around in this
Temperature will affect them for sure. I did ok with the wind too. Rain, not so much. I don’t mind walking in that and while it feels miserable at times, I tolerate it. And, like I mentioned in the other thread, I would very much rather walk than sit tight somewhere (especially true for rain). I think my gear may be the problem. It’s not designed “hunting” gear and, like I said, can be loud. Perhaps, that affects me more and how I hunt, not sure how to explain it. Perhaps they hear me better and that affects them when they are around. Not sure.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:42 PM

I've got lots to add I just get a kick out of all the internet Hunters that have to ask for information on the internet get out and hunt and learn it Happy Thanksgiving

Old 10-11-2020, 03:08 PM

You have no clue, lol. Like I said, nothing to add, move along. Pretty sure the purpose of this thread is not what you think.

Happy thanksgiving to you as well!
Old 10-11-2020, 03:24 PM

35, your an accomplished hunter of all sorts of game Elk included. IIRC you have spent a few years guiding as well and do have good Elk hunting advice to share. This thread was created to share actual tips and tactics between successful Elk hunters of all levels to help guys starting out or even those who have been at it a few seasons and just haven't been able to put the pieces together. The way I see it fishnguy has put in time to learn the trade and is simply bouncing ideas off others he might not even NEED the feedback himself but good conversation on the subject might help others who are not yet as knowledgeable. Not everyone has your experience nor does everyone have someone with your level of experience to mentor/ teach them.
This thread was started with the intention of helping others learn please continue with constructive advice that will help others learn. Good posts between seasoned Elk hunters about all things Elk will help others out as well no matter how trivial you feel the question or post might be.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:04 PM

Like I said people just have to get out and hunt and get off the internet I just posted on that looking for someone to hunt with. he can get ahold of me if he wants to come and hunt at my cabin for elk and I will show him what I know which isn't that much.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Like I said people just have to get out and hunt and get off the internet I just posted on that looking for someone to hunt with. he can get ahold of me if he wants to come and hunt at my cabin for elk and I will show him what I know which isn't that much.

Thats great when you have time to get, but when you cant make it out there is no harm in learning more through others online. Thats what this is3
Old 10-14-2020, 03:41 PM

That is true I've learned quite a bit online since I started watching elk hunting videos im more less talking of the people that have no posts that come on here looking for places to hunt , if you followed any of my older posts I do help quite a few people out,

Old 10-14-2020, 06:35 PM

35 is a great dude. A very stand up guy. Period.

If he’s actually offered his place to hunt..... well... that’s beyond generous really.

I wish your elk patch wasn’t so far north..... dammit.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

If he’s actually offered his place to hunt..... well... that’s beyond generous really.

IM looking for someone to hunt with oct 29 nov7 at my cabin
Old 10-14-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:

LOL, sure man. With a name like 35 Whelen you already know more then most!
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-14-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
IM looking for someone to hunt with oct 29 nov7 at my cabin
If I didn't draw a tag and had an OTC tag I'd take you up on that. Maybe next year.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-14-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

x2. Good guy and very generous. We hunt the same area.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:55 AM

Wow I caused a little ****storm anyway that's all the people I offended I'm sorry.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
That is true I've learned quite a bit online since I started watching elk hunting videos im more less talking of the people that have no posts that come on here looking for places to hunt , if you followed any of my older posts I do help quite a few people out,

I agree about people just asking for handouts, wasn't trying to discredit you or the help you have given my response was moreso due to all posts lately where people have seem to get all down a new hunters throat for asking simple questions. My bad
Old 10-16-2020, 06:36 AM

NO PROBLEM ,just was saying how things have changed ,in my day you went out knocked on doors talked to landowners ,bought maps and went hunting ,THINGS HAVED CHANGED ,
Old 10-16-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
NO PROBLEM ,just was saying how things have changed ,in my day you went out knocked on doors talked to landowners ,bought maps and went hunting ,THINGS HAVED CHANGED ,
100% agree. But people have changed too. Take myself grew up in an outdoors family but not hunting.hunting was my passion and I dedicated time to it.
Many older generation guys had family who taught them gave pointers and opened doors for them starting out to teach them what and how to "do hunting"

Many first time or new hunters did not grow up in families that helped develop the skills used in hunting.
Times have changed for sure...not as many have had the same opportunity to learn as years ago.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:20 AM

That's right and I definitely help people that want to put the effort in in time and want to learn I have no problem helping the Next Generation as long as they're not just looking for handouts

Old 10-16-2020, 11:02 AM

Still looking for someone to come up to my cabin 30th of October till the 7th or whatever you can stay for