Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 10:26 AM

Default action coating

I have a sako A-7 blue. the action and bolt get surface rust after even the slightest bit of moisture. Any suggestions on coatings and where to get that done?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2020, 11:23 AM

Are you storing your rifle in a case?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Coating? Wiped with an oily rag is sufficient. I don't know what conditions you store your firearms but if stored properly in a dry location you should never experience rust period. A rag need not be oiled so much that it leaves an oily residue either. Just enough to make it shine. As the previous poster asks.......never store firearms in a case.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:57 PM

There is no coating that will stop Chrome Moly from rusting if it gets wet and is left wet or in a damp place. There must be some form of humidity issues where your guns are stored. I have an electronic humidity gauge with remote readout that almost never goes above 45% and I have guns stored for years with nothing more than a light coat of Hoppes 9 or Hoppes oil with no rust issues. Hope you can find what is causing it to be so damp that your guns are rusting because that really does need to be addressed.

The only other option would be to sell the one you have and go to a stainless with a synthetic stock. They tolerate high humidity much better but there are still trigger parts and the like that will rust.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:19 AM

Default rust

Not stored in a case the problem was after a 3 day backpack hunt in dry conditions. I'll just carry an oiled wipe in a baggie and give it a wipe down every evening.
Thanks for the replys.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:09 AM

Armacoat ? A guy in Edmonton area does it, he's a member on CGN but not sure about here. ---> Murdoc

ARMA-COAT FIREARM FINISHES
-Parkerizing (manganese phosphate)
-Sandblasting
-Bead Polishing
-Arma-Coat Coatings
-Anodizing
-Nitron Stainless Blackening
-Nitron Carbon Steel Blackening
-Hot Black Oxiding (carbon steel)

Ph.780-398-2678

www.arma-coat.ca
Old 09-25-2020, 10:26 AM

Default Coatngs

Cerakote and KG Gunkote are a baked on product, designed for this exact application. Quite a few gunsmith shops do this.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Coating? Wiped with an oily rag is sufficient. I don't know what conditions you store your firearms but if stored properly in a dry location you should never experience rust period. A rag need not be oiled so much that it leaves an oily residue either. Just enough to make it shine. As the previous poster asks.......never store firearms in a case.
I always store every one of my firearms in a case. I never put wet firearms in a case though. And I spray G-96 into the lining or foam of each case, and that results in a protective vapor in each case, that prevents rust.