Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-31-2020, 11:45 AM
Banned

Default Auction Results?

I missed the auction completely. I've read that prices were low for coyotes but I'm wondering about the sales volume. Did brokers only buy the low grading pelts or did they show interest in the higher grading stuff?

How'd beaver and muskrat do?
Old 08-31-2020, 11:56 AM

Beavers where limited interest, it's all on YouTube you can go and watch it anytime or skip to what you want to see. I think and hope alot will sell pt.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:03 PM
Banned

The same youtube link as the live broadcast on the FHA site? I'm not having any luck finding anything.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:14 PM

You just go to fha and use that link, all accounts have been updated now as well. Rats had ok demand but 3xl were like 2.50. I think pretty much only the dealer lots didnt sell. All my left over coyotes from last sale sold for an ave of 50 us. OUCH.

Last edited by kingrat; 08-31-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:59 PM
Banned

Account updated. All but one "I" yote sold......muskrats are gone.....only 19% of my beaver sold. I'm happy to see the yotes sell albeit at a lower price.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Gee, I thot rats were kinda dead, just my perception as i marked along. I must have missed it
Old 08-31-2020, 04:42 PM

What was the average for coyotes?
Old 08-31-2020, 05:40 PM

Default Auction Results

While looking for supplies I Talked to a fellow trapper about auction & he mentioned that FHA grading system must be different than NAFA was because his prices were down . For example he said he had one 1X - LG 1 HVY C 1-4 for 82.00 . He had way better price with NAFA. He had others with different letters from A-D . He was not in a good mood , I just said ok , bid him a good day & carried on . I just thought to myself with NAFA before that their new damage code was A,B SLT Damaged , Damaged 1,2,3 & I would think theses letters mean SLT damage Etc. We all know it comes down to fur quality & handling Etc. Haven't checked mine yet but hope for the best like many I'm new to FHA system .
Old 08-31-2020, 05:40 PM
AO Sponsor

I suspect FHA will post their bulletin for their sale. Your average will be very dependent upon section/colour/primeness/damage etc.

Dave Bosma ran the coyote sale, looked like he was having a great deal of fun with it. Well done Davey... as in Davey Boy the 2nd! Even a little conflict/drama today... nothing but fun. Bosma/Davey the 2nd did an exceptional job of conducting the sale, the most dramatic I have seen in a fur auction ever!

Prices lower than in the country and/or Online FHA sale this past winter, but we are in a whole new market. It is softer, therefore the market players are not nearly as desperate for goods. Dark colors are off in price in the western section and Eastern Canadian coyotes will need to have their valuations adjusted to reflect the market players's new taste/preferences... do note I am certain they are more than willing to continue using Eastern Canadian coyotes for parka trimming, but they now seem to want them at a lower level. Some Eastern Coyotes are impressive creatures, limited to the "(eastern) A-B" colours (not to be mistaken for western AB colour schemes) and they are fricking huge, therefore extra square inches = extra strips per pelt, same pelt tanning cost etc = good value but with slackened demand the easterns need to be let go cheaper... UNLESS the market bounces right back with a fury and higher valuation becomes valid again and auction house looks heroic! Do not count out the Russians next week.

Of course. all my opinions...

Western semis off, still decent demand on them, but noticeable lower prices.

Western Heavy darks... off/lower... significantly

I had a handful of skins in there and calculated my average, nothing fancy with a few train wrecks but 34 skins @ about $80 USD.( Not counting 1 red and 3 DGD, but does include 7 section 3)I missed a few lots at the beginning of the section 3 due to a text conversation with the Lacombe Superstar Trapper and a blonde moment when they announced redfox red kiyutes and I was scrambling to print off the ranch red fox.

Don't know anybody else who figured out their average.

Beaver, main interst was for winter prime beaver. Take them thru the ice and paid handsomely for them.

Rats seemed poor to me but Kingrat says they were good.

Fisher, cheap, the ones that moved.

Lynx a few went, not many. Cheap stuff flew off the shelf.. I think

Ranch fox, went very well, although price much lower than they need, but so many square inches of very useable fur

Red fox poor,

Silver Fox very good.

White fox, mediocre, probly higher than guys wanted to pay...

But and online internet sale with pictures for the whole world to participate in so stay tuned.

I thinkk the good wolves did very well. Do go wolf trapping... 5/64" and a #33 SuperMag with a new Senneker-Shock Lock!!!Just had to throw that in the mix.

Anybody want a new world order update???
Old 08-31-2020, 06:07 PM
AO Sponsor

And Raccoon... like DEATH!!! Were quickly withdrawn. I imagine our buddies in the far east will be loading up on them next week too. Just have to get them hooked on cowboy hats and learn 'em how to make felt, beaver could fly again. I think they would look AWESOME!!!b in top hats from the first beaver boom centuries ago.

Marten i think were withdrawn too.

Last edited by Marty S; 08-31-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:52 PM

Default Auction results

So Marty, in your opinion, what do you think coyote prices will average this winter. Us boys up in the Killam/Strome area are wondering if we should start thinking about catching yotes this winter, or concentrate on ice fishing instead.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:43 PM

i never said rats were good marty. I said the demand was ok, except the dealer lots.Prices are still crap like everything there.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:05 PM

Well didn’t do as good as the last auction with the crappier coyotes but averaged 69.30 us on my coyotes. My coyotes ranged from 110-50. Marten didn’t sell, med sel beaver 8.00 👎🏻

At least I’ll have some money for snares and gas to start the process again.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
i never said rats were good marty. I said the demand was ok, except the dealer lots.Prices are still crap like everything there.
I kinda assumed if demand is good then things are good cuz stuff is moving? Whatever... Each person has different definitions. Looks like about 27% rat sold-ish, but hopefully PT today plus internet sale will move them all, hopefully the Koreans and Chinese folks can look at pictures and really load up, even fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
So Marty, in your opinion, what do you think coyote prices will average this winter. Us boys up in the Killam/Strome area are wondering if we should start thinking about catching yotes this winter, or concentrate on ice fishing instead.
Definitley go trapping, we still have a very good price structure, our coyote market is the envy of the fur world.Hopefully CG is full of poop and they just kidding. Ice fishing... far more exciting to hit the Pacific west coast in summer and escape the mosquitos and lay in a winter supply of salmon, lingcod rockfish and halis. If you ice fish, you might take to heavy drinking, consume lotsa beer and get fat... and no more country midnight trapper rendezvous.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:10 AM
AO Sponsor

My results are up now, including the ones I missed, puts my USD average at $73.64 all in with Section 3 in, 37 skins. I missed a $9 and a $5 coyote earlier, the grades don't make sense to the price but they were in the Section 3 portion of the catalogue.

150674 1X-LG I HVY 99153317 1 $9.00 $9.00
150677 1X-LG II & SLT HVY 99153303 1 $5.00 $5.00

How did everybody else end up? Do tell?

A funny friend did $85 USD on his collection of 24

Last edited by Marty S; 09-01-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:10 AM

I'm kinda surprised that a major buyer for groeny or whatever youd call yourself would ship to fha. Is there a specific reason Marty?
Old 09-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
My results are up now, including the ones I missed, puts my USD average at $73.64 all in with Section 3 in, 37 skins. I missed a $9 and a $5 coyote earlier, the grades don't make sense to the price but they were in the Section 3 portion of the catalogue.

150674 1X-LG I HVY 99153317 1 $9.00 $9.00
150677 1X-LG II & SLT HVY 99153303 1 $5.00 $5.00

How did everybody else end up? Do tell?

A funny friend did $85 USD on his collection of 24
Those two lots were in REDFOX RED between CENTRAL and 3RD WEST.

My two worst lots were:

150724 1X-LG III & DGD HVY A-D 1-4 99153075 1 $23.00 $23.00
150726 1X-LG III & DGD HVY A-D 1-4 99153134 1 $22.00 $22.00

I sold my best yote fur to a local buyer and only sent in my lower grade pelts to the second auction. I remember those two pelts and I think that a buyer would have graded them NO VALUE. Something's better than nothing.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:27 AM
AO Sponsor

No offense please, but my personal affairs are nobody's business, especially online. If you actually want an answer, aside from trying to make a spectacle of it, online, publicly, just ask me in person, I would be fine in that context of telling you my personal affairs, if I like you.

I will tell you this, I snared more coyotes last winter than most, and bought a bunch of carcass and unfinished goods personally. Does that help?

Nothing but fun!!! The countdown is on... Will the plot thicken???
Old 09-01-2020, 11:55 AM

No it doesnt but thanks anyway. The plot thickens
Old 09-01-2020, 05:12 PM
AO Sponsor

How about this... i sold most all the skins i had to gfw before i shipped at GFW shutdown time.. After i shipped i still had a few laying around. Found some extra ones in the bottom of the freezer too. Sent those to FHA. There, that sounds nice!
Old 09-01-2020, 11:02 PM
Banned

Oh Marty, Mr Groenewold would not be happy with you sending fur to FHA.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Actually had any of the GFW crew know I sent them in and what I sent in, they would have been delighted that I had. How long have you guys been in this business? This is very basic stuff.

Some kiyutes belong in a very special category...

One last hint... treetrunk you ready???
Old 09-01-2020, 11:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Old 09-02-2020, 07:06 AM

I would have thought gfw would have some type of market for red colored ones or whatever you shipped. Like you said at the end of the day it's your business, I was simply curious not trying to attack you.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:03 AM
AO Sponsor

No prob.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, that is a poop smiley!

It is representative of the other four letter word (deleted) for the "undesireable" category of fur, like slang. This slang/term, (deleted) is widely used by folks in the buying community, auction houses, buyers, and in the country. The (deleted) often circulates in auction houses for years, bought/shipped/re-offered, bought/shipped/reoffered, etc. The coyotes I discovered in the bottom of the freezer were decent but just a handful.

So there you go... the fat man tells all... most?