Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Banned

Default Question for Nube

I have recently changed my snare set up to 5/64 and camlock which is working good on coyotes but am wondering about wolves. What was your set up for the 2 you showed in the hunting forum? How did it work? Dead or alive?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:34 AM

3/32" for wolves if your not using a spring
Old 12-20-2015, 10:56 AM

Paul trepus uses 1/16 cable for Wolves!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-20-2015, 11:07 AM

I am the wrong guy to be asking about wolf set ups lol I used 5/64 and think it will work fine but the lock I had was a micro lock with a #75 coil kill spring. Will never use that setup again. Micro lock on wolves do not keep tight. I am going to try 1/8 cam locks on 3/32 wire next time and see how those work. Adding a kill spring for sure
Old 12-20-2015, 11:44 AM

Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I am the wrong guy to be asking about wolf set ups lol I used 5/64 and think it will work fine but the lock I had was a micro lock with a #75 coil kill spring. Will never use that setup again. Micro lock on wolves do not keep tight. I am going to try 1/8 cam locks on 3/32 wire next time and see how those work. Adding a kill spring for sure
I used 3/32 and camlock on the few wolves I caught and it worked good, never used a kill spring on anything. If the micro locks slipped I'm assuming the wolves were still alive, it looks like it in the photo. Any idea why the locks slipped? I have had hair in locks, but weather they slipped or never did tighten I don't know.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:16 PM

I have only taken a few wolves so far but 1/16 and a seniker spring and no losses so far.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:47 PM

Did you use the magnum springs Shane?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:07 PM

No I'm using the originals with cam locks with teeth.
I just got some mags in last week so they are going out this week.
The wolves I got went down quick from the look of it.
I was impressed.I snared wolves 25 yrs ago in BC with just slide locks and no springs 3/32 cable and had losses every yr.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 PM

I think for big dogs you need a really good lock to kill them quick. With the thick fur every little bit of help makes a difference. I have heard a lot of good things about Micros is why I tried them but I think I wouldn't use them for anything more than a fox sized critter after my experience.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:39 PM

Ya I agree.
And I've had freezing rain problems with the camlock's as well.
But I'm a little closer to my line so if I have to I can go free them up.
Although I hate walking in there when I know the wolves hadn't been there yet kind of sets a guy back another week.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Have you tried going a size up on your camlocks? If so are you still having freezing issues?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I think for big dogs you need a really good lock to kill them quick. With the thick fur every little bit of help makes a difference. I have heard a lot of good things about Micros is why I tried them but I think I wouldn't use them for anything more than a fox sized critter after my experience.
I have always had good quick humane dispatches with micro locks using a coil kill spring. How are you attaching them to your snares? If you are attaching them with the long shank riding the cable they will relax. They should be attached as show in this picture:

Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I have always had good quick humane dispatches with micro locks using a coil kill spring. How are you attaching them to your snares? If you are attaching them with the long shank riding the cable they will relax. They should be attached as show in this picture:

With the set up pictured what do you consider to be a humane dispatch? What percentage of the time would you get this. I have no experience with the springs. Does the wolf pull the wire past the kink through the lock and then the spring holds tension until it is pulled again where it will lock again tighter?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post

Tomcat your actually the reason I went to try them. I have them just like you got them in the picture. I also had a friend of mine try them last year on coyotes and did not have as much good luck with them either. I am using them for lynx this year but for long thick hair like wolf and coyotes I am staying away from them now. I tied the snares about 6-7 feet high and they are about 12 feet long. When I first made them I tried it on my arm and other objects and they locked up real good and tight. With the spring on it i thought it was going to be the ticket. I wasn't happy at all with the system. It might have been a fluke thing but I am going to try something else next year.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:36 PM

Nube no I haven't tried going a size up.
I think when I put in the next order I will try that.
To be honest this year it has been a problem but last year it was every third day.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Sack View Post
Does the wolf pull the wire past the kink through the lock and then the spring holds tension until it is pulled again where it will lock again tighter?
No, the animal does not pull the wire past the kink. The spring wire simply puts pressure on the lock when it's cinched up to keep it from backing up. NOTE: I am using a 3/32 size lock on 5/64 1X19 cable.

Last edited by tomcat; 12-21-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Banned

I used cam locks since they first come out and essentially replaced the keflock and used them for years. All sizes have trouble with rain and snow that is moist and hair dragging into the lock. Even with Tomcats description of how the springs work I'm still confused, just too dense I guess. The videos sure push them so they must kill quicker but nobody has said how much on average. If you can consistently kill wolves with 1/16 and these springs they are doing something.