Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-16-2021, 10:48 AM

Default Joining a Rifle Range in Calgary(ish)

...Well this has been more of a challenge then I expected.

I made an application at CDTSA -its a 2 yr wait I was informed.

I made an application at APRA, Rosebud Club, seems to be the best suited one for myself as a general shooter. Apparently you need a "referral" which is difficult when I don't know anyone in Calgary. (If you are a member of this club and would refer me that would be awesome.)

After being a member, in good standing who even volunteered, at the Fort McMurray Fish and Game Association for years I'm finding this process frustrating.

Does anyone know of another gun range within an hour drive of Calgary that is accepting new members? I'm just looking to develop some loads and practice shooting without all the waiting and red tape? I prefer to do this at a gun club vs crown land, but at this point Im open to either.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2021, 11:28 AM

Waiparous/ghost is where everyone who dosnt belong to a club shoots pick a logging slash with a nice back stop and your all set. I also had to wait to get in at my club now you have to make sure you always pay so you dont get bumped. Word on the street Calgary fish and game association is making some noise about building a new range but I haven’t seen anything official yet and I’m sure it’ll get hammered with applications as soon as they open the doors.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:41 PM

Swiss Rifle Club doesn't require a referral for membership. I believe they're full up for this year, but I got a membership 2 years ago without even being on the waitlist. Wouldn't hurt to throw your name on there for next year though...

Also, it's a little further, but I don't think there is a wait list for the Brooks Fish and Game range.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Swiss Rifle Club doesn't require a referral for membership. I believe they're full up for this year, but I got a membership 2 years ago without even being on the waitlist. Wouldn't hurt to throw your name on there for next year though...

Also, it's a little further, but I don't think there is a wait list for the Brooks Fish and Game range.
I thought the Swiss Club is just for that style of shooting and not "general shooting. I will reach out to them to confirm. Thanks
Old 01-16-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I thought the Swiss Club is just for that style of shooting and not "general shooting. I will reach out to them to confirm. Thanks
Nope. They hold swiss style shoots on the odd weekend. Any other time it's a regular range.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:36 PM

Have you looked at Buffalo target shooters?
Old 01-16-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
Have you looked at Buffalo target shooters?
I was just speaking with Henry Remple, who recommended BTS to me, as Rosebud is full for this year. But you need a referral at BTS also.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Nope. They hold swiss style shoots on the odd weekend. Any other time it's a regular range.
"Memberships are now closed" according to their website. I joined that waitlist.

apparently Im in the wrong business.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:21 PM

You could also check out Drumheller and District Shooters website, less than 1 hour from Calgary to the range.