Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 07:27 PM

Default Permanent Attach Rings

Probably a stupid question but want to know if anybody has any experience with these permanent attach rings? Was considering buying some but wonder if they are on forever or cant be taken off? lol am I over thinking this stuff. Tried googling some answers but cant find anything on it.

Can they be installed multiple times? why do they state permanent attach?
Old 01-15-2021, 07:40 AM

What brand are you talking about? If it is Leupold PRW (permanent) rings require a torque bit to remove and as long as the installer left threadlocker glue out of the equation, they are removeable and the little screws cone out and back in without issue.

QRW (quick release) leupold rings have a thumb sized lever for opening and closing the clamp without any required tools.

Both these rings require the user to flex the top of the ring with allen keys to get it around the tube. Failing to flex the ring will scratch your scope tube. Its very disappointing when this happens. Wish they would have done perfect half circles.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:30 AM

Looking at the Warne Permanent attach rings, I don't see why they would not be removable.

Quote:
Both these rings require the user to flex the top of the ring with allen keys to get it around the tube. Failing to flex the ring will scratch your scope tube. Its very disappointing when this happens. Wish they would have done perfect half circles.
The PRW2 rings have been redesigned.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:53 PM

Yes the leupold PRW2 rings. I noticed some of the vortex rings say this as well on the products. Have a one piece base and also have the dove tail rings. Might try both out.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:08 PM

Quick release vs permanent simply implies that you can quickly remove the scope off (and put it back on) the base using your fingers with quick release rings, while you would need a torque bit, like Nyksta mentioned, to attach the “permanent” ones. They aren’t really permanent, they are just regular rings and the name distinguishes them from the quick-quick release of the same model, really.

I have two sets of PRW2 and they seem to work pretty great, no complaints yet. I have never taken a scope out of them yet though.