Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 12:44 PM

Default Thoughts on Savage Axis 223 as a first gun?

Im looking to get my first rifle, and have found a couple ads for a used savage axis 223 for around $500, comes with a scope and one other comes with a bipod for $600. After doing some research I found that the reviews are heavily polarized as either being a good budget gun or the worst gun they ever/the mag always falls out, bought and sold it for a R700. I dont intend to hunt with it just do some target shooting in private/ crown land. What are your guys thoughts on it as a beginner gun and how much you would pay for it. Im familiar with 5.56 and 7.62 with the military so I dont think I want to start with a .22.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:58 PM

Personally I would look at a ruger American for a entry level rifle.

A .22 is a good to have as well 5 cents a shot instead of 50 cents or a dollar.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:03 PM

Great cartridge choice to start with. Cheap ammo to plink, east to reload for if you get into reloading. Can also shoot 1000 m if you want one day. Great all around cartridge for varmints and plinking.

Bad rifle platform to start in, the triggers are heavy and most likely have a cut spring to lower the lbs. You also may not know it was cut right, so there’s always that thought in the back of your head. For the money is look at a Remington 783, Ruger American, or even the Winchester budget rifle platform. Your don’t necessarily need a heavy barrel either. So go and handle a few makes and get what fits you best. Good luck with your first rifle purchase, it’s always a great time buying a firearm.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:19 PM

I bought a cheap gun as my first and wish I hadn't. I hardly ever use it, as it's a cheap gun, but don't really want to sell it for sentimental reasons, my first gun.

In hindsight, I wish I'd taken the $500 it cost, added some to it, and just bought a better gun in the first place. That being said, when it was the only one I had, it was enjoyable to shoot. So I guess my advise would be, if you've got the cash, upgrade right off the bat. If you've got experience shooting, you know what you're getting into, and it's likely not going to be something you're just trying out, to see if you like it or not. If you don't have the cash, and budget gun it is, I'd probably look for a Ruger American.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:09 PM

As someone selling one of those guns right now I say go with the ruger american. The axis although a decent shooter has a very poor trigger and stock that can be a hindrance to new shooters. It's very upgradeable but at that point you may as well just spend the money on a nicer rifle to start with.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-14-2021, 07:21 PM

Default no ifs and or buts about it

Your first ever rifle should be a .22

Practice practice practice good form and move up to other calibres as your interest and budget permit. the $500 you are thinking of spending on an extrance level 223 is the same amount you will spend on a quality used .22 you can keep for life and give to your children. I can pretty much guarantee unless you get an emotional attachment to your first gun the Axis and entrance level scope with or without a bipod will leave you wanting within a year for better quality fit finish and reliability. Buy once cry once trading up is expensive.

Tags
noob