Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 12:03 PM

Default Neoprene scope covers or butler creek

Good day all, Just wondering what everybody is using. I have Neoprene scope covers for all my glass, and while I think they are a good idea I found them to be a pain while hunting and walking around then having to remove it to be able to take a shot. I am thinking of going to the Butler Creek tip covers.
Anything better out there?
Old 01-14-2021, 12:15 PM

im not a fan of the sleves, I have to Butler Creek caps and like them
Old 01-14-2021, 12:34 PM

Butler Creek see through covers. You can competently look through them. The rest just get in the way when you need them not to be.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:34 PM

I use the neoprene scope covers I like them better than the flip ups that fall off or the bikini covers you can shoot through. It only takes a moment to take them off and they protect the scope from dings and the weather.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:35 PM

I use Tenebraex

https://armament.com/tenebraex/

I bought clear ones so I can look through the scope with them closed (I always open them when I'm shooting). I like the quality of these a lot and recommend them to everyone. Yes they're a little more expensive but like a lot of other things in this world, you get what you pay for and I don't mind paying a little extra for quality.

I tried the Butler Creek but found them flimsy. Every time I fired a shot, the cap for the rear cover slapped me over the eye because the spring was too weak. Also I found they had a tendency to slide off when pulling my rifle out of a soft rifle case.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-14-2021, 01:04 PM

If you can get the screw on covers like Leupold makes, that is what I use. Otherwise Butler Creek. I like the looks of the Tenebraex. If I ever run out of spare Butler Creeks I will definitely give those a try. Butler Creek are not real robust but as long as you got the right size they do the job.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:29 PM

I have been using Butler Creek for many years, with no issues.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:41 PM

Butler Creek for ages. No issues.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:04 PM

Another vote for Butler Creek. But they are flimsy and you need to take care not to break them, especially in the cold when the plastic gets brittle.

On backpack hunts I also use a neoprene cover to protect the scope.

If choosing between flip ups and neoprene, I would suggest flip ups as you can flip them open while shouldering the rifle, rather than taking the extra time to remove the neoprene cover. If quick offhand shots are probable, you will miss some opportunities if you use neoprene over the flip ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 02:19 PM

Default i guess

Butler Creek and vortex flip caps for me. a little brittle in the winter but very good for my shooting otherwise.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:50 PM

Default neoprene covers

butlers just dont last.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:52 PM

Scopeshield for me. Most of the Butler creek caps I ha 've bought in the last 5-6 years have broke on the first or second time out. Older ones are still going strong though...still I have switched over to scope shield almost 100% now and am happy. Less fog issues, No breaking, complete protection from scratches and light bumps.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Another vote for Butler Creek. But they are flimsy and you need to take care not to break them, especially in the cold when the plastic gets brittle.

If choosing between flip ups and neoprene, I would suggest flip ups as you can flip them open while shouldering the rifle, rather than taking the extra time to remove the neoprene cover. If quick offhand shots are probable, you will miss some opportunities if you use neoprene over the flip ups.

Scopeshield covers come off just as fast as butler's. Give them a quick tug and they spring right off.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:10 PM

I've been using the neoprene covers for the last couple years and really like them, on and off quick, great protection too
Old 01-14-2021, 03:22 PM

Purchased ScopeShield covers a couple years ago... Will never look back... I have a drawer full of Butlers that are all broken at the hinge... The plastic they use when making Butlers is impossible to glue, silicone, weld etc... Just can't be repaired... Seems Butlers just seem to open when shouldering my rifles, making them stick out and then easily broken... ScopeShields must be ordered to fit snug...
Old 01-14-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post

I too use Butler’s, have for 5 years, many times out in the cold and never an issue. I also like that I can flip them open while bringing the rifle to my shoulder, it’s pretty seamless once practiced.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:22 PM

I had the clear butler creek on my 50mm scope during hunting season, the tabs that hole the clear lens in broke, clear lens popped out of the scope, now where do I send them for new ones, I tried to crazy glue them in but not go on that hack.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:41 PM

Default Neoprene scope covers or butler creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I had the clear butler creek on my 50mm scope during hunting season, the tabs that hole the clear lens in broke, clear lens popped out of the scope, now where do I send them for new ones, I tried to crazy glue them in but not go on that hack.

My father in law runs the clear Butler Creek covers. It beats me why he spends $1000 on a top quality scope only to look through cheap clear plastic on both ends of it.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:11 PM

I use flip up covers while hunting and I use neoprene covers for transport and storage.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-14-2021, 10:10 PM

When I was culling, if I had any cover on the scope, it was a piece of car tyre tube cut into a 1.5" strip, just flick it off, to take a shot, cheap as chips and good for getting a fire started, in the rain.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:53 AM

I’ve had Butler Creek flip covers on a few scopes, none of them lasted any reasonable amount of time at all.

Great concept but poor product quality.