Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2021, 05:51 PM

Default Reloading question

A couple years ago when I started reloading and did not know much, I primed a bunch of different manufacturer brass. I have settled on one brand of brass and here comes the "stupid question" Can I remove those primers carefully with a sizing die and re use those same primers? I know primers are cheap but if I can use them again that would be great. If not what is the best way to fire them off safely?
Thanks
Old 01-10-2021, 05:56 PM

I have sized primed cases before, and the primers pushed out fine. I would wear eye protection and hearing protection though.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:01 PM

Thank you sir, I will indeed.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:01 PM

I have used a deprimer die for that.

As stated, do it SLOW and CAREFULLY expecting one to pop. Ear and eye protection 100%

I have never had one go off though
Old 01-10-2021, 06:26 PM

Done it a few times over the last 45+ years of reloading never had one go off and never had an issue if reusing them. I like to use the deprimer die over a sizer die, just my preference.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 01-10-2021, 06:26 PM

Default Answer

Yes you can,just go slow and easy,I’ve deprimed lots even factory rounds to use the brass only,with full length resized and or neck sizer dies
Old 01-10-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
Done it a few times over the last 45+ years of reloading never had one go off and never had an issue if reusing them. I like to use the deprimer die over a sizer die, just my preference.
Same, Same, eye and hearing protection is a must
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:06 PM

I have de-primed a few hundred live primers but I didn't consider reusing the primers. I just figured they wouldn't be reusable and wouldn't seat properly. For the cost over the years I don't feel out too much.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-10-2021, 07:59 PM

Just shoot em off and deprime dead primer
Old 01-10-2021, 08:00 PM

Just shoot em off and deprime dead primer
Old 01-10-2021, 08:08 PM

First question would be, why do you want to deprime the cases and reuse the primers. I would just use them in the case they are in. At 5 bucks a 100 they aren't expensive but if I reused them it would be on target loads only, never hunting loads. I have never deprimed a large number of cases and tried to reuse them but primers are really tough so I have no doubt they would still work just fine. Won't hurt a thing to find out for sure on target loads.

The live primers I have removed have never been a problem. I just used the regular die. If by some really weird chance one did go off the primer is going to shoot down through the shell holder so just make sure you don't have legs or knees in the way.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:44 PM

I have pushed out several hundred. I did have one detonate, which was of course, unexpected but caused no particular harm.

I once had a rifle that had been put into another stock and it was not firing. I eventually determined that I needed to deepen the notch in the stock that accomodated the bolt handle so that the bolt would fully close and lock. I was reaming out the bolt handle notch and wanted to check the rifle for function. It was a 6.5 Swede, with roughly a 24 inch barrel. I put a primed case in it, pointed the muzzle at a rag and pulled the trigger. The primer blast actually scorched the rag. I have no recollection about the kind of primer, probably just a standard large rifle primer, I think. I was quite impressed with the scorch mark; I did not think the primer blast would travel that far.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:57 PM

I’ve deprimed a few dozen live primers; slow and steady pressure does the trick. Eyes and ears as everyone else has said are a must.... just incase you fudge the slow and steady. I reused the primers without incident as well (just paper punching rounds).

In my situation I primed cases before I had trimmed them and my Lyman trimmer has a detention that uses the primer pocket to centre and hold the case in the chuck.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:19 PM

The reason for de priming is that I am trying to reload all the same brand of brass.
I had primed Fc,rp,Win and hornady brass before I knew and noticed accuracy issues as well as not a good idea mixing brass due to weight issues and thickness issues of the brass etc... I want to have 50 of one brand to do load development.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
The reason for de priming is that I am trying to reload all the same brand of brass.
I had primed Fc,rp,Win and hornady brass before I knew and noticed accuracy issues as well as not a good idea mixing brass due to weight issues and thickness issues of the brass etc... I want to have 50 of one brand to do load development.
I use a Lee universal de-priming die. No resizing, just de-priming. Works for any and all calibers and I've used it for pistol to rifle. Stupidly easy and fast to use (good, cuz I'm not the brightest spark) and no need to clean or lube the cases.

I've never had a problem re-using the primers after using this die. I always re-use the primers and they have always looked intact when I've inspected them.

$19.99 at Cabelas Canada. Dirt cheap for the price and convenience. Your mileage may differ.

www DOT cabelas.ca/product/71727/lee-decapping-die

edit: spelling/grammer

Last edited by tranq78; 01-10-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:40 PM

I have deprimed +/-20 using a universal deprimer die. No problems. I also used these primers and they went all bang.
A word of caution though. Keep the area around the press clean, wear safety glasses and move the ram slow and steady.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:46 PM

How long have these cases sat primed. There is a chance that some of them may be duds now if they sat for a few years. Also why not test all your brass by working up to the load you have in your chosen brass. There is a chance that load will work good in all of the brass. Just work up to your load in each brand of brass.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:34 PM

This is one that often makes me perplexed . For the possible danger of depriming a primed case and the minimal cost why bother .

Simply fire off the primed case in your gun deprime and put in new primers.
I know a guy that blew a primer into his hand try to deprime a live primer . As they say “ how do accidents happen ?”
Old 01-13-2021, 10:20 PM

I should mention when I was young, had a bunch of 303 British military brass and figured I would pull FMJ bullets and then dump the strands of cordite out, then fire the primers off, as they turned out to be berdan primed.
Well good idea at the time, except I was in my bedroom where I did reloading, and I forgot to take cordite out of one, well quite a bang and put a hole in my clothes I had laying on the floor and my mom came running up thinking I had killed myself.
Last time I did that.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
I should mention when I was young, had a bunch of 303 British military brass and figured I would pull FMJ bullets and then dump the strands of cordite out, then fire the primers off, as they turned out to be berdan primed.
Well good idea at the time, except I was in my bedroom where I did reloading, and I forgot to take cordite out of one, well quite a bang and put a hole in my clothes I had laying on the floor and my mom came running up thinking I had killed myself.
Last time I did that.
You are really, really old. Those clothes probably have collector value.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Just load them up as foulers to use after cleaning you gun. Mark them as foulers with a sharpie.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Slightly off the topic of the thread but it relates to the OP’s chasing accuracy by sorting brass.

You mentioned you’re fairly new at reloading and you’ve discovered that different brands make a diff. That means your paying attention and taking careful note of what you’re doing. Kudos. But a little further to that is if you weight-sort within a brand you will find a discrepancy in weights. And a much larger weight discrepancy between brands and often from lot to lot of brass within the same brand. That translates to different case capacities (when you full length resize), which translates to accuracy issues.

And if you want to get really fussy, do your full length resize, trim all necks to the same length, fully prep them and then measure your case capacity with a fluid weight. Gets kinda lengthy cuz you have to determine how to keep the flash hole from leaking, and how to dry out/clean out the fluid you used. Others on here could likely make recommendation on that, I stop at weight sorting within the same brand. Usually close enough for what I want.