Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2021, 04:54 AM

Default BC Panfish?

Starting to plan next summer's adventure, I'd like to get my kids into some bluegills/ panfish, with maybe a chance of bass too. If anyone would be willing to point me towards some places in BC that are good for tent camping, canoeing, and catching a bunch of panfish I'd be much obliged.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-12-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:15 AM

Smallmouth/largemouth/perch/and the odd pumpkin seed in the Okanagan work for you?

Really good for the first 3 species. There is also carp, northern pike minnow(PC name), and odd Kokanee. There is a so so provincial park at least by my picky standards. No power boats allowed so peaceful for a canoe. Not hard to jump over to other lakes for trout if you want to switch it up. My personal best for both bass and perch came from this lake multiple times

BC only has pumpkin seed, black crappie, and perch when it comes to pan fish no bluegill. Most of the places I know for black crappie are strange urban fishing that is not much for a family trip. Pumpkinseed are small like stunted Alberta perch small

I have no problem spilling all the information I know regarding this lake through PM
Old 01-12-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Smallmouth/largemouth/perch/and the odd pumpkin seed in the Okanagan work for you?

Really good for the first 3 species. There is also carp, northern pike minnow(PC name), and odd Kokanee. There is a so so provincial park at least by my picky standards. No power boats allowed so peaceful for a canoe. Not hard to jump over to other lakes for trout if you want to switch it up. My personal best for both bass and perch came from this lake multiple times

BC only has pumpkin seed, black crappie, and perch when it comes to pan fish no bluegill. Most of the places I know for black crappie are strange urban fishing that is not much for a family trip. Pumpkinseed are small like stunted Alberta perch small

I have no problem spilling all the information I know regarding this lake through PM
Funny, quite a few BC web sites list bluegill as a species, maybe they are also just weird urban ponds too? I've caught lots of Pumpkin seed in the eastern states, and while not so big as bluegill or Crappy they were frequently big enough to eat, maybe in BC its too cold for them to get as big?

Anyhow, your lake sounds good, I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Funny, quite a few BC web sites list bluegill as a species, maybe they are also just weird urban ponds too? I've caught lots of Pumpkin seed in the eastern states, and while not so big as bluegill or Crappy they were frequently big enough to eat, maybe in BC its too cold for them to get as big?

Anyhow, your lake sounds good, I'll shoot you a PM.
Lots of miss identification regarding sunfish in BC. Most of the pumpkinseed I have caught are 5-6inches but have caught the rare giant around 10inches. To me they were too small to target unless I was taking a kid out. BC does have some nice perch and crappie so don’t think it’s a weather thing. A lot of my fishing for crappie and pumpkinseed was in the lower mainland so fairly warm

Have never been a diehard on panfish but would catch them as by catch and target them a little over the years I lived in southern BC.

The lake I am talking about I went there to target bass but caught lots of perch as by catch and targeted them for something different at times.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Lots of miss identification regarding sunfish in BC. Most of the pumpkinseed I have caught are 5-6inches but have caught the rare giant around 10inches. To me they were too small to target unless I was taking a kid out. BC does have some nice perch and crappie so don’t think it’s a weather thing. A lot of my fishing for crappie and pumpkinseed was in the lower mainland so fairly warm

Have never been a diehard on panfish but would catch them as by catch and target them a little over the years I lived in southern BC.

The lake I am talking about I went there to target bass but caught lots of perch as by catch and targeted them for something different at times.
That sounds about normal for Pumpkinseed. I've never really been a die hard panfisherman either, but some of my fondest memories are of fishing around my grandparents home in Michigan. Almost always with a worm and bobber, sometimes with just a willow pole. When that bobber went down you never knew what might be on the end, usually a bluegill or bullhead... but often enough a bass or catfish.

Always wanted to let my kids experience that.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:39 PM

All the major lakes on the right hand side of the road from the ferry into Victoria have panfish. Some have nice small mouth bass as well.

Vic
Old 01-12-2021, 06:55 PM

almost the whole island feels like its filled with panfish. lots of pumpkinseed and some perch lakes. lots of smallmouth bass for you to fish while kids are catching pumpkin seeds. Worm on a hook with a bobber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkin.JPG (41.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg pumpkinseed.JPG (73.8 KB, 91 views)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-12-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
almost the whole island feels like its filled with panfish. lots of pumpkinseed and some perch lakes. lots of smallmouth bass for you to fish while kids are catching pumpkin seeds. Worm on a hook with a bobber.
Lol, just looking at that Pumpkinseed I know my daughters are going to flip when they catch one. They get pretty excited about any new species, but something as colorful as that will probably get them more reved up than a three foot pike.

Last year we went to northern sask, and despite catching some pretty nice pike and walleye they were most impressed with a couple little Sauger they pulled out of some little river, they kept one in a little pool among the rocks for a bit just admiring the "weird walleye".

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-12-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:27 AM

I remember catching a pile of perch and pumpkinseed in Tie Lake as a teen. There was some largemouth in there as well, but they were pretty spooked.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:31 PM

very cool info, i am thinking of doing something similar as i love the pan fish too. i don't know too much about the BC regs(only been fishing BC once) but i have been told by many that the pumpkin seed and perch are considered an invasive species, is this all of BC or only in certain lakes? the closest lake i am aware of is tie lake (sp?) for the sun fish, perch, and bass and at this lake i am told there is no limit for the perch or sunfish because they are considered invasive. hope this is true.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
very cool info, i am thinking of doing something similar as i love the pan fish too. i don't know too much about the BC regs(only been fishing BC once) but i have been told by many that the pumpkin seed and perch are considered an invasive species, is this all of BC or only in certain lakes? the closest lake i am aware of is tie lake (sp?) for the sun fish, perch, and bass and at this lake i am told there is no limit for the perch or sunfish because they are considered invasive. hope this is true.
Just like Alberta read the fishing regs before you go. Perch and bass limits vary by region and body of water. Black crappie do have limits and last time I read the regs pumpkinseed did not

I don’t know the regs for tie lake so can’t comment if you are right or wrong

Some lakes BC even bans fishing for illegally stocked bass and perch to hopefully discourage people from moving them around. Strange way to deal with invasive species but it’s how they do it
Old 01-13-2021, 07:52 PM

Lots of pumpkinseed around the okanagan. Kids love fishing for them for sure. I remember catching buckets full of them as a kid growing up in southern Alberta where there were a few ponds that had been illegally stocked. They are stunning little fish. Local kids don't seem to catch them anymore so they must have died out during a bad winter. Good luck finding some in bc, they are not hard to catch once located.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:10 PM

There are Bluegill and Crappie in the Southern Okanagan.

I have personally been catching them there for forty years now.

Bush,
Skaha, Vaseux, and Osoyoos Lakes will all give you great panfishing.
Little explored are the oxbows at the north end of Osoyoos.
Perfect for a canoe trip from Cottonwood Park.
Rainbows, kokanee, smallmouths, largemouths, Sockeye in season, Pumpkin, Bluegills, Crappie and Perch..... that should be enough to keep the kids busy.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-14-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
You'd have to check the regulations to be sure. It should be noted that you'll have a difficult time catching fish large enough to make retention worthwhile. The pumpkinseeds are generally 6in long.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
There are Bluegill and Crappie in the Southern Okanagan.

I have personally been catching them there for forty years now.

Bush,
Skaha, Vaseux, and Osoyoos Lakes will all give you great panfishing.
Little explored are the oxbows at the north end of Osoyoos.
Perfect for a canoe trip from Cottonwood Park.
Rainbows, kokanee, smallmouths, largemouths, Sockeye in season, Pumpkin, Bluegills, Crappie and Perch..... that should be enough to keep the kids busy.
Any pics of a BC bluegill? I have never seen one.

You catch them often or just an odd random catch?
Old 01-14-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
You'd have to check the regulations to be sure. It should be noted that you'll have a difficult time catching fish large enough to make retention worthwhile. The pumpkinseeds are generally 6in long.
But if you can get enough sizable ones, they are dang tasty, much like Bluegill.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:53 PM

Black crappies I have seen up to 8 inches in lower mainland around MapleRidge

Atleast it looks to be atleast 8 inches LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (39.5 KB, 51 views)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-14-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
But if you can get enough sizable ones, they are dang tasty, much like Bluegill.
No doubt, I just don't think those particular ones inhabit Tie Lake.

I was watching Bob Izumi's Real Fishing a few weeks ago and saw him pulling up huge p-seeds from Rideau Lake in Ontario. Man, we live in the wrong province when it comes to fish diversity.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:34 PM

Does anyone know if there are bullhead in BC? I remember eating the odd bullhead and enjoying them.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are bullhead in BC? I remember eating the odd bullhead and enjoying them.
Caught lots of them in the lower mainland
Old 01-14-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Black crappies I have seen up to 8 inches in lower mainland around MapleRidge

Atleast it looks to be atleast 8 inches LOL
They get way bigger then 8inches around maple ridge like twice that size on the rare occasion. Targeting them in early June we would limit out on 11-14inch crappie in certain spots

Biggest I have seen caught was 3lbs in pitt marsh
Old 01-14-2021, 03:45 PM

Whonnock Lake (Maple Ridge area) has black crappies. Easy to catch with a worm and bobber rig.

But a day use area only.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:11 AM

Default Duck lake

Quote:
Starting to plan next summer's adventure, I'd like to get my kids into some bluegills/ panfish, with maybe a chance of bass too. If anyone would be willing to point me towards some places in BC that are good for tent camping, canoeing, and catching a bunch of panfish I'd be much obliged.
At Creston, try Duck lake, non-motorised craft only. It is dammed and part of the Kootenay river system. Lots of panfish, perch and the added novelty of largemouth bass. Great for kids.
https://www.crestonvalleykootenaylak...hing/duck-lake
Old 01-16-2021, 08:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerman View Post
At Creston, try Duck lake, non-motorised craft only. It is dammed and part of the Kootenay river system. Lots of panfish, perch and the added novelty of largemouth bass. Great for kids.
https://www.crestonvalleykootenaylak...hing/duck-lake
This place looks awesome...gonna get lots of yak time again this year just hope the borders etc cooperate....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This place looks awesome...gonna get lots of yak time again this year just hope the borders etc cooperate....
duck lake is a Great Lake you never know what's going to bite your line
Old 01-16-2021, 03:52 PM

Can you fish from shore on this lake. My son lives in Maple Ridge but has no water craft. I know his (2) little daughters would enjoy catching crappies.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
Can you fish from shore on this lake. My son lives in Maple Ridge but has no water craft. I know his (2) little daughters would enjoy catching crappies.
lake is really weed,going early in the season ,you should be able to catch from shore
Old 01-16-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
If your talking whonnock lake yes they can be caught off the docks along with trout