Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 AM

Default Fly Fishing in the Bigfork/Kalispell/Whitefish Area

At the end of July, Hassihand and myself will be down in that area with the gf's and the plan is to do alot of fishing. We are planning to go with Captain Norm for a charter trip on Flathead Lake but what really excites me is the fly fishing we will be doing down there.

Do any of you guys (and gals) have any experience in this area? If so, any particular spots a guy should hit up? I know there are lots but what I am looking for is a no doubter stream or lake. The place we are staying at is on a mid sized stocked lake so I am sure there will be some action there but would also like to do a little exploring. Thanks in advance!

Burns
Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM

top of Logan's pass, there's a short but steep trail that goes to Hidden lake. bring light tippet as the cutthroats are shy, but large. I only caught one on a small black wooley bugger but a fella from kalispel there was getting a few on small dries. you can see them cruise the shallows it's very clear.

I'd go back there in a hearbeat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0052 2.JPG (166.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0069.JPG (194.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0070.JPG (167.6 KB, 143 views)

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-14-2013, 01:56 PM

Thanks Flyguy! I will definately check that out!
Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM

Send a PM to BiggyJ, he fishes those areas often.. He's currently in Quebec but should respond in a reasonable period of time as he's fully wired!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns View Post
Thanks Flyguy! I will definately check that out!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 PM

We are heading down there on Thursday night I am interested in this thread as I would love to find out some more spots to fish. We were thinking of getting a guide for a day and fish the flathead. We are staying in west glacier campground and will post how it all went
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve fly guy View Post
We are staying in west glacier campground and will post how it all went
If that's the campground I'm thinking of on lake Mcdonald, there's a creek called fish creek that flows through the campsite. I caught a cuttie on a dry early one morning where the creek flows into the lake. Also, if you're up for a hike, trout lake on the other side of Lake Mcdonald holds a billion little cutties. sorta like a bigger picklejar lake. Remember your bear spray

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM

I wonder if is worth it to just hire a fly fishing guide for an afternoon? Have done a tonne of reading so far on fishing in the area and it seems quite diverse. Mostly interested in pounding some big natural cutties though. One plan forsure is to float a section of the main channel of the Flathead river on our GigBobs.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM

check out Bob Arends fly shop in Columbia falls. 406-270-5766
Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM

check out Bob Arends fly shop in Columbia falls. 406-270-5766
Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
top of Logan's pass, there's a short but steep trail that goes to Hidden lake. bring light tippet as the cutthroats are shy, but large. I only caught one on a small black wooley bugger but a fella from kalispel there was getting a few on small dries. you can see them cruise the shallows it's very clear.

I'd go back there in a hearbeat
We are staying at Lake McgGregor when we go down in a couple weeks. Is this the same Hidden Lake that is west of kalispell on Hwy 2 (I think)? Did you try Little Bitteroot River or any other rivers or Lakes around there? i am getting anxious as it looks like an awesome area to do some fly fishing for sure.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Hidden Lake looks like it is a few KM hike from that visitor center thing right at the top of Going to the Sun rd. As of now we are planning to stop in there on the way home assuming that it is only a few KM not 10. It does look kind of far on the satelite view of google maps. This is all assuming it is the right hidden lake ofcourse.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 AM

Lakestream was a nice fly shop when I was down there. Hackle was cheap too if you tie!

http://www.lakestream.com/

The guys here replied to my emails with information, and were quite informative of the area, and willing to chat, even before you buy anything!