Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Missing rifle bolts

I've had an unfortunate experience that I'm sure many of you might empathize with, some not. Recently I've had two rifle bolts go missing and I'm looking for some suggestions in either trying to recover them first or failing that replace them. In my research so far, I've discovered that it seems it will be a difficult task. I've had the rifles a long time going back thirty years so their market value may not be that high, but for me they are priceless for all the memories attached to them. They still are very accurate and I know them well. The two top obstacles are: Figuring out what the most efficient way and where to start looking for them in this digital internet age. And the second is failing finding the originals, replacing them. I have got some leads on a few but, they won't ship them to Canada. If anyone has had a similar experience or not, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Please, no criticism.....I've already beaten myself up over this enough already. Thanks
Old 01-27-2020, 02:24 PM

Some data on the rifles will probably help.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:24 PM

What brand? I have a Savage long action 0.473" that I would donate if it would fit.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:46 PM

Thanks guys,

Ruger M77 round top .270 Win. Any long action 30-06 Spr. variant might work depending on head space etc. Enough for a gunsmith to work with.
Savage Model 340 E Series .22 Hornet, tougher to find. Research so for suggests an earlier model Stevens might work.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:55 PM

How did they go missing? This will have a huge influence on whether or not recovery is possible.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:53 PM

Something simple, like a .303 British, Mark 5 Jungle Carbine bolt $75.00 and then needs headspace fitting/adjustment:$$
Old 03-08-2020, 07:03 PM

A missing rifle bolt makes my spider senses tingle, two of them.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-08-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
Something simple, like a .303 British, Mark 5 Jungle Carbine bolt $75.00 and then needs headspace fitting/adjustment:$$
If this is the kind of advice your gonna hear on this site...don't walk...RUN..
Old 03-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Banned

I have a spare Ruger 77 Mark 2 standard bolt face bolt around. But I don’t think it would fit a tang safety Ruger. I’ll check for you when I get back home.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:50 AM

Place WTB posts with specific bolt requirements (information) on the various gun forums. Check Western Gun Parts.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
A missing rifle bolt makes my spider senses tingle, two of them.
Yes it does sound suspicious, but I do know people that store their bolts separately, and then lose the bolts. I always store my rifles with the bolts and magazines , just to prevent the possibility of this happening.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1989 View Post
Place WTB posts with specific bolt requirements (information) on the various gun forums. Check Western Gun Parts.
x2 for western gun parts.

I got a firing pin for a really old Stevens 12 gauge that was gifted to me. They had one in stock for $60.

they had a huge list of inventory on their site when I was searching for the pin.

Even if they don't have the bolts you need, I bet they would be able to get them.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:28 PM

So am I the one that has to say it? Anyone else think these are stolen rifles?
Old 03-09-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Thought crossed my mind but not my place to judge.
Maybe he stored them separately incase they get stolen and an angry ex threw them in the garbage.
Maybe he broke up with his wife and grabbed the cases he stores rifles in and when he was moving out forgot the bolts from the place he hides them.
Maybe he forgot the bolts in the hard case, and his house was broken into and the cases stolen.
Maybe he stores them separately and the bolts all in a pistol safe, that one was stolen during a break and enter
Maybe they were on the basement floor during a flood or sewer back up.

I think all of those are more likely then he stole them without bolts now he’s coming here looking for input on how to get a new bolts.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Thought crossed my mind but not my place to judge.
Maybe he stored them separately incase they get stolen and an angry ex threw them in the garbage.
Maybe he broke up with his wife and grabbed the cases he stores rifles in and when he was moving out forgot the bolts from the place he hides them.
Maybe he forgot the bolts in the hard case, and his house was broken into and the cases stolen.
Maybe he stores them separately and the bolts all in a pistol safe, that one was stolen during a break and enter
Maybe they were on the basement floor during a flood or sewer back up.

I think all of those are more likely then he stole them without bolts now he’s coming here looking for input on how to get a new bolts.
And those are all good reasons to store bolts in the rifles.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingbreed View Post
Thanks guys,

Ruger M77 round top .270 Win. Any long action 30-06 Spr. variant might work depending on head space etc. Enough for a gunsmith to work with.
Savage Model 340 E Series .22 Hornet, tougher to find. Research so for suggests an earlier model Stevens might work.
The bolt I have won't fit your Ruger. However there is a guy from wainwright on Canadian gun nuts that has a bolt for sale for 175$ that will. If you can't get access to the site let me know and I can get his phone number for you.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And those are all good reasons to store bolts in the rifles.
Maybe. But it’s his choice to store them how he wants. And now his problem to get new ones. I guess I feel for him because I store some of mine like that, so if they get stolen they won’t be used by a gang banger.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
I doubt it personally, not high dollar rifles to begin with, and anybody looking to steal something would more often than not pass if it obviously needed parts
The OP has also been a member since 2011...,,
Cat
Old 03-09-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Maybe. But it’s his choice to store them how he wants. And now his problem to get new ones. I guess I feel for him because I store some of mine like that, so if they get stolen they won’t be used by a gang banger.
Gang bangers typically don't use bolt action hunting rifles during their criminal activities. They typically want something easier to conceal, with a much higher rate of fire. But yes now he is the one looking for bolts, which could cost him as much as the rifles are worth, by the time he buys them, and has them head spaced, if he can even find them.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:30 PM

Check Numrich gun parts and Brwonelles. They will both ship to Canada if they have what you need. Other choice is you can get Prophet River to bring bolts up from the States if they won't ship to you. Talk to Clay.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Gang bangers typically don't use bolt action hunting rifles during their criminal activities. They typically want something easier to conceal, with a much higher rate of fire. But yes now he is the one looking for bolts, which could cost him as much as the rifles are worth, by the time he buys them, and has them head spaced, if he can even find them.
I meant that’s why I store some of mine like that. Pump shotguns, SKSs that I rarely ever use without the bolts
Old 03-11-2020, 08:39 AM

Default Bolts for rifles

I have been concerned about some of the safety procedures some people us to make for a safe home--ammo, in one room hidden; rifle in another, hidden and bolt, in another room hidden; and magazine in another room..a classic shell game.. I have two extra bolts --used Mauser 93 in excellent condition. Its the model with a flat spot at the face of the bolt..and second, a new Begium mauser 98 bolt with the Winchester Model 70 three position safety..If I can help you please contact me..
Old 03-16-2020, 08:39 PM

Hi Guys!
I’ve been away for a while and had followed the thread a bit, but there didn’t seem to be much action. I did some online searching and was waiting for the Gun Show season to begin.
Recently I received some PMs regarding this thread so figured I should have a look at it.
Thanks guys for the replies, information and kind words.
I am considering changing my handle to something a bit more optimistic as I don’t feel as alone anymore.

Cheers!