Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2020, 01:42 PM

Default Higginson Powders

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

Prices look really good, just hoping that the shipping won't be astronomical for an 8lb container.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:44 PM
Banned

Careful ordering 8lbs and expecting it to come in a jug. They ship some bulk powders in a plastic bag inside a box. Confirm with them.

Hummason powder is another good supplier of powder. I have always received plastic jugs from them.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Careful ordering 8lbs and expecting it to come in a jug. They ship some bulk powders in a plastic bag inside a box. Confirm with them.

Hummason powder is another good supplier of powder. I have always received plastic jugs from them.
If you ask they will tell you if they have 8 pound jugs in stock or 4's or 1's and ask you if you still want them if hey do not have 8's
At least that is how it has gone for no gof the last 35 years or so,
The 1's cone in either plastic cans or boxed and the 4's come in boxes the 8's are normally in a jug.
There is no issue with s cardboard box either they are very safe and legal .
Our last order was a tax over 40 pounds IIRC, if you have multiple guys going in on it , shipping costs are easy to spread out per pound .
Cat
Old 03-18-2020, 03:17 PM

If you can get a few guys together after 24# its free shipping (Still gotta pay hazmat and shipping from Canpar facility to your house)

You'll see a star ( * ) beside the 8# if its bulk and in a box

I've ordered a ton of powder from them
Old 03-18-2020, 04:22 PM

There good to go ordered 16lbs 2times for group orders with friends. No issues.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If you ask they will tell you if they have 8 pound jugs in stock or 4's or 1's and ask you if you still want them if hey do not have 8's
The 1's cone in either plastic cans or boxed and the 4's come in boxes the 8's are normally in a jug.
Our last order was a tax over 40 pounds IIRC, if you have multiple guys going in on it , shipping costs are easy to spread out per pound .
Cat
Powder keeps better stored in plastic jugs, compared to plastic bags and boxes imo.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Powder keeps better stored in plastic jugs, compared to plastic bags and boxes imo.
What it is contained in is not nearly as important as the humidity and temperature of the area it is stored in.

Cat
Old 03-18-2020, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
What it is contained in is not nearly as important as the humidity and temperature of the area it is stored in.

Cat
If it’s sealed in plastic container, it will stay more stable/consistent, and lose less moisture.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
If it’s sealed in plastic container, it will stay more stable/consistent, and lose less moisture.
There is A LOT more to keeping powder stable and consistent than whether it's in s plastic bottle or bag and a box , the container itself is not that important .
Don't take my word for it however , phone Andrew yourself at Higginson's his family didn't just selling powder and munitions yesterday .
Cat
Old 03-18-2020, 05:34 PM
Banned

They sell powder. Correct.
I use it. It's far easier pouring it out of a plastic container than dealing with a bag and a box. But I get it cat, you like your bags and boxes.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
They sell powder. Correct.
I use it. It's far easier pouring it out of a plastic container than dealing with a bag and a box. But I get it cat, you like your bags and boxes.
So save your empty plastic powder containers and put your Higginson bulk powder in them....or go to the nearest Dollar Store and buy a dozen plastic jugs for 3 bucks......or maybe you just want to ARGUE if the sun came up or not...Good Grief

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 03-18-2020, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
So save your empty plastic powder containers and put your Higginson bulk powder in them....or go to the nearest Dollar Store and buy a dozen plastic jugs for 3 bucks......or maybe you just want to ARGUE if the sun came up or not...Good Grief

Jim
I don't have to save anything. I bought my last powder haul from Hummason mfg., it was the same price delivered and came in plastic bottles. Take a pill Jim. It's a discussion.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:53 PM

It has nothing to do with me preferring boxes over plastic cans. As I stated before, it doesn't matter WHAT you store it in , if you do not keep it cool and dry you are going to degrade it very quickly.
If you take precautions , even the vintage metal cans or the cardboard cans pictured will keep powder up too its burn rate for many years
Metal, plastic, cardboard, it's all the same , it's a container only it is how it is handled that makes the difference.
Cat
Old 03-18-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Cat
Thanks Cat, good to know.

Can sacrifice the wife's tupperware if I need to. She's used to me leaving them at work anyways..
Old 03-18-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with me preferring boxes over plastic cans. As I stated before, it doesn't matter WHAT you store it in , if you do not keep it cool and dry you are going to degrade it very quickly.
If you take precautions , even the vintage metal cans or the cardboard cans pictured will keep powder up too its burn rate for many years
Metal, plastic, cardboard, it's all the same , it's a container only it is how it is handled that makes the difference.
Cat
On a side note, I got gifted a whole pile of that hercules powder this summer. Where would I find any info for that stuff?
Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
On a side note, I got gifted a whole pile of that hercules powder this summer. Where would I find any info for that stuff?
Alliant owns Hercules now
Cat
Old 03-18-2020, 07:15 PM
Banned

Interesting reading.

Quote:
So Johansson’s advice is to keep powders tightly capped in their factory containers, and to minimize their exposure to dry or humid air.”
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...er-burn-rates/
Old 03-18-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Cool and dry ,not hot and dry is the key, and constant not up and down.
Cat
Old 03-18-2020, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Cool and dry ,not hot and dry is the key, and constant not up and down.
Cat
You seemed to miss the part about sealed tightly in their factory containers.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:

What's wrong with getting bulk powder in bags? I order a minimum of 40# when I order from Higginsons (to get free shipping).

I dispense bulk powder from the bags into jugs. No issue.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You seemed to miss the part about sealed tightly in their factory containers.
I have Hercules 2400 from the 1960's stored in the original cardboard keg. which certainly is not "sealed tightly" and has been open since the 70's. powder inside is in very good condition and shoots quite well in my 44 mag.

Kept dry and cool powder is fine for decades
Old 03-19-2020, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofirearms View Post
I have Hercules 2400 from the 1960's stored in the original cardboard keg. which certainly is not "sealed tightly" and has been open since the 70's. powder inside is in very good condition and shoots quite well in my 44 mag.

Kept dry and cool powder is fine for decades
I shot some war time h4831, it was much faster then it should have been because it had dried out. Useable sure, but was no longer 4831 speed and needed to loaded with caution.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
What's wrong with getting bulk powder in bags? I order a minimum of 40# when I order from Higginsons (to get free shipping).

I dispense bulk powder from the bags into jugs. No issue.
Nothing wrong with it , powder is shipped on 100 pound kegs That are made of cardboard and packed in plastic the same way as the Hercules powder cans or the Ammomart cans in the picture I posted.
Controlled humidity and heat is the key .
Cat
Old 03-19-2020, 11:46 AM

I will not enter the storage debate but I can say I have used Higginson many times. Service is great, stuff is well priced, he almost always has stock and it shows up on time. Get a couple of buddies and order enough to get the freebies.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Banned

Higginson doesn't carry Alliant powder. Hummason does.
Both places don't have any Varget or h4350 in stock.

http://www.hummason.com/eng/2017%20Price%20List.pdf

http://www.higginsonpowders.com/images/Powder_2019.pdf
Old 03-19-2020, 12:43 PM

I inquired yesterday about shipping and for 3lbs to sask was about $32. So it works out very close to what it costs at cabelas. I thought with the americans going crazy stocking up it might be a good idea to buy a few in case i cant get it for awhile.