Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2015, 08:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default True north strong and free

My grandfather, my father and myself all have served.
Past, present and future sacrifices so we as Canadians can enjoy a high quality of life.

I personally am grateful everyday.

Never forget the Homefront sacrifices made too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-31-2015, 09:02 AM

Excellent thread guys, thank you for sharing. its hard to get todays youth to truly understand what sacrifices our parents, grandparents, ancestors made so we can enjoy all the rights we have now.
Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Never forget the Homefront sacrifices made too.
This is the most forgotten part and they come in all cultures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10311741_10203880734477544_1656494264670615412_n.jpg (74.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

My Great-great uncle. Corporal Edward Grant of Lawn, Newfoundland. Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Service # 1797. Killed in Action at Steenbeek Canal, Ypres, Belgium August 16, 1917 age 24 years. His remains were never recovered and he has no known grave. The original of this photo hangs in it's original frame in my Uncle's house back home, he was named after him.

Last edited by airbornedeerhunter; 10-31-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:43 AM

My Grandpa is on the right and his brother, my Uncle Wally on the left. Grandpa (Ernie) served as a radioman in a tank in Italy. Wally was younger so he was late to WWII, he travelled with the brass as he had set a Commonwealth teletype speed record so was assigned to get the word out. He was there for the Nuremberg trials and noted of executions of war criminals taking place very near his workplace. He noted about carrying his pistol everywhere while off duty even after the war had ended, lots of desperate folk were about. Uncle Wally survives to this day in Winnipeg. Grandpa passed in 1983, Uncle Leo in the following photo passed on in 1997.

Their other brother, Leo, is on the right in this pic that I found randomly on a First Special Service website, last year I emailed it to his daughter who had never seen it before. Leo was awarded a US Silver Star for his actions against the Nazi's at Monte Cassino. For those who don't know, the First Special Service was a joint Canadian/ American commando unit trained for small unit tactics, mountain warfare, demolitions, etc. They were among the first 'special forces' whose lineage can be traced down to JTF2 and the US equivalents. Training for the unit took place outside of Helena, Montana and that is where this photo was noted as having been taken when I found it online. The FSSF soldiers were typically recruited from other branches of the services from fellows who were outdoorsy types; they may have been farmers, trappers, lumberjacks, etc. Hardy fellows each and every one, well known for night raids using knives to maintain stealth.

Born into our family tailoring and fur business, they transitioned into founding and operating a successful construction company in Winnipeg.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-31-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:20 PM

Right on Dick! Thanks for the thread. Outfitted all my ball caps with a poppy a week ago. Thankful to be having Another birthday Nov 13. Thanks to all who serve.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:52 PM

Caber Tosser, that would have made your Great Uncle Leo a member if the Devil'd Brigade IIRC?
Cat
Old 10-31-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Caber Tosser, that would have made your Great Uncle Leo a member if the Devil'd Brigade IIRC?
Cat
Yep . Black Devils, Devils Brigade, etc. That movie from the '60's about the unit was all Hollywood and little to do with the FSSF save for that it had both US and Canadian soldiers in it. The film portrayed it as consisting of various misfits and ex-cons, lol. The mountain climbing aspect where they scaled the backside of Monte Cassino to take the Nazi stronghold was true though.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:41 PM

My grand daddy served in Italy then in Nigmegan, Holland. He served with the Lorne Scotts out of Brantford Ont. As a boy I always knew he was in the army and asked a zillion questions. His only answer when I asked what he did, boy he was a super quiet man. Anyway, he said that he was helping to keep people safe, and make sure they stayed safe. Come to find out years what his unit had been actually doing. They were rousting the last hold out Germans that did not want to leave. They may not have wanted to leave, but they did. Lol. I have not thus far found out what he did in Italy. He passed and I wish I'd have just talked to him more, not necessarily about the war but, well you know.
Anyway, he's why I remember.
Tullfan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-31-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Yep . Black Devils, Devils Brigade, etc. That movie from the '60's about the unit was all Hollywood and little to do with the FSSF save for that it had both US and Canadian soldiers in it. The film portrayed it as consisting of various misfits and ex-cons, lol. The mountain climbing aspect where they scaled the backside of Monte Cassino to take the Nazi stronghold was true though.
When I was a kid I was in the Toronto Scottish cadet corps for a bit.
I remember being told by my older brother ( Militia cadre at the time ) the commanding officer was ex Devil's Brigade.
I asked him last year about Captain MaGee, because I was pretty sure he told me and he said
" ALL the senior cadre were Devil's Brigade! MaGee recruited them when he started the cadet corps up!"
I had no idea!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-31-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Great thread Dick284.
x2
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-10-2016, 06:02 PM

Too timeless to not put back up.

Lest We Forget.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-10-2016, 07:39 PM

They lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Default This is why I respect

My parents emigrated to Canada from India in 1970 and I was born and raised here. No one in my family has served. I don't know anyone who is currently serving. But I thank every single individual who has. If it were not for you, my children and i would not be able to enjoy the life we are living now. I am just one man, and you do not know me, but there are millions of us who are grateful for your courage. Never forget that.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:35 PM

I Served 20+ years in the Forces for Canada...be it for the hammerheads like Trudope, Nutley, his purpleness or for the type of Patriotic Canadians like the Real people on the Forum.
Bottom line, guys like me Served for You...and would do so again in a heart beat.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:57 PM

My great-great uncle served in the Boer war, my grandpa and his twin served in ww2. Grandpa lost an eye but other traumas seem to have had a much more profound effect on him and his family. He never talked about it the war, but late in his life he wrote a book about his service. I'll be reading that tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 PM

One of the reasons i remember is my grandfather was soldier in switzerland who had to take care of the horses they used. While he and the rest of my family had very little to do with any war. The only reason he was able to emigrate to canada was because of the people you are all talking about. Our soldiers here in canada have helped a lot more than just canadian citizens and thats something that i love our country for.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
I Served 20+ years in the Forces for Canada...be it for the hammerheads like Trudope, Nutley, his purpleness or for the type of Patriotic Canadians like the Real people on the Forum.
Bottom line, guys like me Served for You...and would do so again in a heart beat.
Its posts like this and guys like you that make me proud to be an Albertan and a Canadian. Thanks for your service and thanks for the service of all the people included on this thread. On Nov.11, you and your families are remembered and respected in this house.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 AM

My grandfather and his twin brother enlisted in the Ukrainian army in WW1 at the age of 17. My grandfather was shot in the leg and taken prisoner but somehow was released after 10 months. Never got told the story while he was alive and now it is lost. I am sure some of my ancestors were Cossacks from centuries before.

I salute him and all men and women who fought the wars thru the ages.

I only went as far as a Canadian army cadet.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-11-2016, 02:35 AM
Banned

Default .

My Dad served in the 1st world war and the second , after the wars were over ,Dad and a couple of his old war comrads were sitting at the kitchen table after coming home from the old ogden legion smoker on rememberance day.
l just got home from work ,and thease 3 old vets had just got their veterans cheques in the mail from the DVA , department of veterans affairs , as dad opened up the envelope , he lifted out the cheque and threw it down on the table , then he said , THERE , that's what l get for fighting 2 wars , a losy $15 bucks a month , and for what he says , the Germans are over here now living better off then me , and l lost a lot of friends in them wars who died because of one mental case , Hitler ,just a waste of young good men ,and we,re still sending our young men into thease wars to fight ,and kill under the orders of a few millionaire leaders , while they sit at home with their wine and castles and order the peasants to fight the wars for them .
Fighting for freedom you say , free from what , we had freedom before the wars , now its all about power , our freedom , no such thing ,ya cant even talk about certain subjects in the world now or they,ll throw you in jail , and call you racist , or a hate mongeler , think you own your house , just stop paying taxes for a year and see how much you own it .
Sure we,re free to move about , but so are mice and rats , until ya get zapped with a trap.
The wars can all be avoided , just send the leaders in a bull pen and let them work it out them selves , winner take all and don't include anyone else to fight their wars over oil or whatever bullcrap they dish out.

Last edited by bigskinner; 11-11-2016 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:58 AM

Here is my grandfather on his way to pick a scrap with some Germans in Italy. On the way there his ship was torpedoed and he spent awhile floating around the Mediterranean until the USS Tillman picked him

Then went on to dodge death many times (he never spoke much of the war but I read his memoirs when he passed) he was eventually wounded when diving into a ditch to avoid incoming fire from a German aircraft and was run over by a jeep. He later woke up in Britain with a broken skull.

He to this day is my personal hero and taught me the lesson that service to your country is the greatest thing a man can do. Because of this I never wanted to do anything but be a soldier and enlisted at 18 spending 12 years in service. Having received my own injuries from duty I still believe that lesson fully and to this day regret nothing about my choice to join the military.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2016, 06:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I remember and am thankful all the time.
For those who gave, are giving and are about to give so we can enjoy our lives.
Can't say enough.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-11-2016, 06:21 AM

my dad served, my father in law served as did 2 of my moms brothers, they are all gone now but the memory of what they sacrificed is not, remembrance day runs deep in our family and attending the service is something that we never miss.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:25 PM

Default neptune west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Cant say it any better. Never forget.
I agree, Never forget
Old 11-11-2016, 07:23 PM

I remember because my heritage goes back centuries. I'm sure some of my ancestors were Ukrainian Cossacks and fought for their freedom as far back as the 1600's. And because of them I came to be. And in Canada family members and friends have served in the wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7rqdQ7dgCM
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Back in the early '80's when I was serving in the Canadian Airborne Regiment I was fortunate enough to be selected to participate in the First Special Service Force reunion celebration in Helena, Montana. The Veterans that I met and talked to there were phenomenal! As a young paratrooper I was in complete awe to be able to talk to legends openly about their experiences. Really interesting stuff.....complete with shirt lifting to show bullet wounds!

The Veterans, both Canadian and American, told me that the events in the movie were pretty much historically accurate EXCEPT the way that the American troops were depicted in the movie......they were pretty ticked off with that! In reality the Soldiers selected for the FSSF were all hand picked, the best of the best, and not the undisciplined bunch of misfits that the movie made them out to be.

It was an amazing experience and I respect the hell out of those guys.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Back in the early '80's when I was serving in the Canadian Airborne Regiment I was fortunate enough to be selected to participate in the First Special Service Force reunion celebration in Helena, Montana. The Veterans that I met and talked to there were phenomenal! As a young paratrooper I was in complete awe to be able to talk to legends openly about their experiences. Really interesting stuff.....complete with shirt lifting to show bullet wounds!

The Veterans, both Canadian and American, told me that the events in the movie were pretty much historically accurate EXCEPT the way that the American troops were depicted in the movie......they were pretty ticked off with that! In reality the Soldiers selected for the FSSF were all hand picked, the best of the best, and not the undisciplined bunch of misfits that the movie made them out to be.

It was an amazing experience and I respect the hell out of those guys.
Thank's guy's !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRbnuJJGmOU
Old 11-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Banned

Great uncle was a Sapper in ww2. He never talked about his time overseas unfortunately because I think that it could of helped him with the demons he come home with. Lots of war history in Canada from the sea,land and air. Long live the memories of the sacrifices many have made in war time and peace time.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:24 PM

my great uncle paid the ultimate price on Christmas Day 1944. A German sniper in Italy took him.

My grandpa managed to dodge the draft by living in canada for 15 years before the war, so the americans thought he was a canadian, and the canadians thought he was an american.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 PM

I'll be on the road tomorrow(yes I'll take a moment at the 11th hour)

Lest We Forget.

My father circa 1944, and 1985

My maternal Granparents circa 1918

There are no absolutes