Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 AM

Default This Is Why I Remember

My Dad served, for 5-1/2years.
My Paternal Grandfather served too.
My Maternal Grandfather served in the Great War, as well as WWII
My Dads Brother Served.
My Mom was a "Bomb Girl" in Ajax, On.
I too served albeit as a Reservist for a seemingly short time.
I've had friends who were at the Medak Pocket.
I've had friends who served with distinction in Afghanistan.

I choose to remember because its who I am, it's who I've been, and it's part of the very fibre of my make up.
Very long ago I was made aware of the sacrifices put forth by so many.
Very long ago I was made to understand that war is neither romantic or desired.
Very long ago I was made to understand, men go to fight, not because they want to, but because they have to.

I choose to REMEMBER because without their desire to resist war, and because of their sacrifices, we would be living in tyranny!

I SHALL NEVER FORGET!

There are no absolutes
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 AM

Thumbs up

Great thread Dick284.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM

You should be proud... No one in our family has ever served although Dad did try to enlist but he was too young...
Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 AM

Well said and thank you for your families contribution to our great country.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 AM

My Grandpa served in WW 1 and Uncles served in WW 2 . So did my father in law. My dads uncle was shot in front of his brothers and sisters when they just happened to meet by chance in the country side. My grandma and family were always moving one step ahead of the war, that day fate dealt a cruel blow as the bad guys caught up to them and not to jeopardise the family, dads uncle and fellow solder ran off across a field to get away from them before being seen as they were in uniform. The whole family seen them gunned down. If the bad guys had seen them with the family, I probably wouldn't be here today as they would have all been shot. One other time my grandma and family were caught up to by the army. My dad says they were all gathered together and thought they were done for. Then my little grandma starts yelling at the lead guy, if your going to shoot us, kill us all, including the babies as I don't want to leave them behind without parents. We all go together one way or the other. Well the story is the head guy was a new dad and seeing my grandma with baby in her arms pulled on his heart and he told her she had 1 hour to get as far away as possible before the rest of the army caught up otherwise he would have no choice, he even told her which way to go so that they had a chance. Back then dad says grandma was in her 20's and it was her, her 6 kids, grand parents and some sisters and their kids. All the men were in the war. Today she is 98 and when I look at this old woman, I cant imagine her standing up to guys with guns but you do what you have to and it is another point in her life where if things were different, I wouldn't be here. It is one of my favorite stories of her life. Because of the men that served and the others that had to survive, I remember.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

Wonderful thread Dick. Your family exhibit has real class to it.

And I thought Ajax bombs were just used by Wile E. to get the Road Runner.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

Thanks.
Just so there is no confusion. The town was Ajax, the company was DIL.
http://ajaxbombgirls.wordpress.com/d...ted-a-history/

There are no absolutes
Old 11-06-2013, 02:04 PM

I don't just remember those who sacrificed but all who served...
I dont just remember those who served and sacrificed but their families
I don't just remember those who served overseas but those who served in any way they could.

I don't just rember those who were in the military but those conscientious objectors who worked in lumber camps and logging camps here to support the effort as well and I remember these as well.

I don't just remeber those who served in the past but those who serve today

I don't just remember with a poppy and attending a ceremony, but every day I do my best to serve in my community, help others, raise a good family and be an honest, upstanding contributor to ensure I never forget.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM

I remember a story from an Burmese Lady who is gone now, but I found it very interesting when she spoke and I quote...

" When I was a little girl I remember my Dad holding our whole family together when the Japs were bombing our village and him saying that if we were going to die we will all die together."

It sticks out in my head how fortunate we were in this country that civilians were not in the line of fire, and yet we were willing to go. many other countries would not be so willing to send soldiers if we were in the same trouble at that time.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:44 PM

The true meaning of "Virtue" is one who has served!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Banned

Cool the thin red line .

The word samurai is translated as ,"to serve".
2 great grand fathers, one served in both wars with the 42nd, the other in wwll as a gordon.
The former was wounded in both wars and recived the distinguished service cross the highest nco honor after the VC.
Three of my great uncles served in wwll, one did not return from North Africa.
I am the third member of my family whom have served in the 7th armoured brigade .the desert rats.
Two of my second uncles served in the falklands one as a para, one a royal marine.
One of my uncles served in the Glasgow and Ayrshire highland light infantry .
I currently have one cousin serving in the parachute reg . With two more in the wings regiment unchosen.
Thanks and slangè D284.
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask, what can you do for your country". JF Kennedy
"These hills are not my green hills"

Last edited by fish gunner; 11-06-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: recognition of a fine thread.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 PM

My great grandfather served in WWI and WWII. He was discharged due to an illness during the WWII and then became the postmaster at the airbase in Edmonton. My grandmother has all of his paperwork and photos and I have requested that I receive it when she passes. Both my grandfather's were too young to serve in WWII. A lot of my family served as officers in the British army and navy in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeash1976 View Post
The true meaning of "Virtue" is one who has served!
Mayhap`s the family members were in Vladistoc in the end of the war here.I have no idea who these are ,only know when I sent one to get viewed,I got guilted by the meuseum because I wouldn`t part with em.Donate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121.jpg (123.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 119.jpg (104.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg scan0021.jpg (63.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg scan0052.jpg (32.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg scan0105.jpg (53.6 KB, 132 views)
Old 11-07-2013, 11:17 AM

My grandfather was in the Danish underground in WW2. He was captured by the germans in Dec 1944 and spent the next 5-6 months travelling in boxcars from prison camp to prison camp, til the end of the war. He never spoke of his time, but after his death we found a book he had written about his time in the war. Very interesting and new insight as to who he really was, and understand now, why he was such a quiet gentle man.
Remembrance should also be observed to those that helped in the war effort as well as those who served. I know we do here in our house.

Thankyou to all who served
Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 AM

Time to move this thread back up front and centre.

Never Forget!

There are no absolutes
Old 11-05-2014, 06:34 AM

Too many to list in my family.
The wife has been researching both our with Ancestry .CA since she retired, and the number of members in service is staggering.
I knew of most of my immediate Uncles and Great Uncles, father and Grandfathers, but just where they fought and what they actually is still growing, from front lines nurses to major Pipers right back to the French Indian Wars!
The first and Second World wars had members sin the Highland Light Infantry, The Watch , the Gordons ( my Clan regiment) , the The Van Doos, RCR,
and many others.
One that has totally impacted my life through the years however ,retired but went back into service, and is a chief range officer and cadet rifle instructor at Canada's largest military range.
His Service started in Cyprus however.
I never forget and never will, neither do any of my family.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-05-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

Thanks.
Actually it was the Acme company that the Road Runner dealt with.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 AM

My Dads Uncle Tom served in ww2, he was on the second wave on D-day . As a farm boy he could drive about anything so he was stuck driving a deuce and a half converted to an ambulance. In the first push into France the Luftwaffe strafed the line up of ambulances knocking out more then a few from service. Tom and another guy stopped there ambulances at the nearest mud hole and got out the shovels and covered up the big target( his words) on the tops of the trucks. They made thier run to the front and picked up casualties and headed back. Upon arrival a surperior officer demanded they wash down the trucks as the Red Cross was not visible. The reply was if you want that big target cleaned up you can drive the damn truck. They drove forward following the push thru France holland Belgium all the way to just outside of Germany, but he himself did not step foot on German soil . He Married a young nurse from England and moved back to Alberta and died about 4 years ago at 90 years young. He would not talk much about the war and that one story stands out. 2 of his younger brothers and 2 of there buddy's enlisted and did basic but were in Halifax waiting to ship out when VE. Was proclaimed.
I've had the privilege of working for some vets in the past and have heard some hair raising stories. Ol George was one he said he couldn't wait to get out of the one horse town and see the world, he volunteered early in the war. Some how I'm not sure of the details he wound up with the British in North Africa. I'm not sure if there were Canadian regiments on the ground there or not. His job was a mine sweeper. Some real crazy stories .
Fast forward to Halloween just past, my one neighbor I've known since we moved out here but I never new he had served. The kids were getting candy from( granny) he was sitting at the kitchen table with a bottle of Vodka, he said come in and sit down I got something to show ya. I sat down he slid his medals over the table to me , he must of been having a tough day cause he starts reminiscing . He poured me a shot and took me back in time when he was done I had tears streaming down both sides of my face. There is no movie or book I have ever read that ever painted a picture of the horrors of war as vividly as this frail ol man sitting across the kitchen table from me.
He went back over to Normady a few years ago and searched grave after grave for his buddies to find nothing, he poured over the maps of all the engagements . He had words with the curator of the museum . He pointed on the map here right here 20 Canadians lost there lives, the curator told him there was never any reports of fighting in that area. The man simply said I was there don't tell me there was no fighting.
Maybe this is why he was sitting there going back in time, you see he got a call sometime this summer and outside that little town in Belgium they found a bunch of unmarked graves. They are in the process of sorting out who and where each one was from. Not sure how many unknowns would be in Europe but I'm sure it would be a staggering number. His bones may be old and his body frail, but his mind is sharp as a tack. He remembered exactly where his buddies lost there lives down to the details . These are the stories that don't get told, and why we enjoy freedom today..
These are some of the reasons I choose to Remember !
Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 AM

Very nice Dick. My buddy had his 40th bday recently, and the present from his mother was his grandfathers picture and medals framed. He had passed last year, so there wasn't a dry eye in the room.

My brother has our grandfather's medals in a frame, with his kilt. Hung up prominently, they are great ways to remember. Family treasures.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 AM

ALL the respect in the world to you and your family Sir!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 AM

my great uncle served in north africa and italy my dad was rcr korea war my unle spent 36 yrs in the forces and was the canadian force chief warrant officer in charge of all non comsin canada my brother did 20 years rcd and 8th hussars. And i served 10 years ldsh

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 PM

Dick
Old 11-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Banned

Cool

For cat , my great grand fathers HLI cap badge .I was told ww1 at the regimental museum in glasgow. sorry phone pic .
Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
For cat , my great grand fathers HLI cap badge .I was told ww1 at the regimental museum in glasgow. sorry phone pic .
That's so cool!
My uncle Harry ( mother's side)was killed serving with the Highland light Infantry when a mortar fired by his own troops hit a tree and it fell on him.
One of the crew was my father's neighbour.
Cat
Old 11-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That's so cool!
My uncle Harry ( mother's side)was killed serving with the Highland light Infantry when a mortar fired by his own troops hit a tree and it fell on him.
One of the crew was my father's neighbour.
Cat
I was born 5 blocks from the maryhill barracks , my grand mothers house a mile up the road. I singed on across the street from the barracks (now high rise housing ) most of my dads side of the family are from a few miles of that part of the toon.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:51 PM

My father's side both step and by birth have all served for generations. I do not know how far back, but predating WWI for sure. In fact my father who came to Canada just after WWII is the only male member of my family who has not served, (I doubt my son will either, but you never know). Sadly there are no mementos of their service remaining that I am aware of.

Great thread.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:42 AM

It's that time again.

Let us never forget!

There are no absolutes
Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks to all of those whomever served in the military and gave me and my family and friends the freedom we enjoy today.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Thanks to all of those whomever served in the military and gave me and my family and friends the freedom we enjoy today.

Cant say it any better. Never forget.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Cant say it any better. Never forget.
Spoke with Captain just other day in fact .
Not the same as in person however!
Cat