Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 AM

Default This Is Why I Remember

My Dad served, for 5-1/2years.
My Paternal Grandfather served too.
My Maternal Grandfather served in the Great War, as well as WWII
My Dads Brother Served.
My Mom was a "Bomb Girl" in Ajax, On.
I too served albeit as a Reservist for a seemingly short time.
I've had friends who were at the Medak Pocket.
I've had friends who served with distinction in Afghanistan.

I choose to remember because its who I am, it's who I've been, and it's part of the very fibre of my make up.
Very long ago I was made aware of the sacrifices put forth by so many.
Very long ago I was made to understand that war is neither romantic or desired.
Very long ago I was made to understand, men go to fight, not because they want to, but because they have to.

I choose to REMEMBER because without their desire to resist war, and because of their sacrifices, we would be living in tyranny!

I SHALL NEVER FORGET!

There are no absolutes
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 AM

Thumbs up

Great thread Dick284.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM

You should be proud... No one in our family has ever served although Dad did try to enlist but he was too young...
Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 AM

Well said and thank you for your families contribution to our great country.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 AM

My Grandpa served in WW 1 and Uncles served in WW 2 . So did my father in law. My dads uncle was shot in front of his brothers and sisters when they just happened to meet by chance in the country side. My grandma and family were always moving one step ahead of the war, that day fate dealt a cruel blow as the bad guys caught up to them and not to jeopardise the family, dads uncle and fellow solder ran off across a field to get away from them before being seen as they were in uniform. The whole family seen them gunned down. If the bad guys had seen them with the family, I probably wouldn't be here today as they would have all been shot. One other time my grandma and family were caught up to by the army. My dad says they were all gathered together and thought they were done for. Then my little grandma starts yelling at the lead guy, if your going to shoot us, kill us all, including the babies as I don't want to leave them behind without parents. We all go together one way or the other. Well the story is the head guy was a new dad and seeing my grandma with baby in her arms pulled on his heart and he told her she had 1 hour to get as far away as possible before the rest of the army caught up otherwise he would have no choice, he even told her which way to go so that they had a chance. Back then dad says grandma was in her 20's and it was her, her 6 kids, grand parents and some sisters and their kids. All the men were in the war. Today she is 98 and when I look at this old woman, I cant imagine her standing up to guys with guns but you do what you have to and it is another point in her life where if things were different, I wouldn't be here. It is one of my favorite stories of her life. Because of the men that served and the others that had to survive, I remember.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

Wonderful thread Dick. Your family exhibit has real class to it.

And I thought Ajax bombs were just used by Wile E. to get the Road Runner.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Great thread Dick284.
x2
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-31-2015, 08:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default True north strong and free

My grandfather, my father and myself all have served.
Past, present and future sacrifices so we as Canadians can enjoy a high quality of life.

I personally am grateful everyday.

Never forget the Homefront sacrifices made too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-31-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Never forget the Homefront sacrifices made too.
This is the most forgotten part and they come in all cultures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10311741_10203880734477544_1656494264670615412_n.jpg (74.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-11-2016, 07:23 PM

I remember because my heritage goes back centuries. I'm sure some of my ancestors were Ukrainian Cossacks and fought for their freedom as far back as the 1600's. And because of them I came to be. And in Canada family members and friends have served in the wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7rqdQ7dgCM
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

My Great-great uncle. Corporal Edward Grant of Lawn, Newfoundland. Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Service # 1797. Killed in Action at Steenbeek Canal, Ypres, Belgium August 16, 1917 age 24 years. His remains were never recovered and he has no known grave. The original of this photo hangs in it's original frame in my Uncle's house back home, he was named after him.

Last edited by airbornedeerhunter; 10-31-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:43 AM

My Grandpa is on the right and his brother, my Uncle Wally on the left. Grandpa (Ernie) served as a radioman in a tank in Italy. Wally was younger so he was late to WWII, he travelled with the brass as he had set a Commonwealth teletype speed record so was assigned to get the word out. He was there for the Nuremberg trials and noted of executions of war criminals taking place very near his workplace. He noted about carrying his pistol everywhere while off duty even after the war had ended, lots of desperate folk were about. Uncle Wally survives to this day in Winnipeg. Grandpa passed in 1983, Uncle Leo in the following photo passed on in 1997.

Their other brother, Leo, is on the right in this pic that I found randomly on a First Special Service website, last year I emailed it to his daughter who had never seen it before. Leo was awarded a US Silver Star for his actions against the Nazi's at Monte Cassino. For those who don't know, the First Special Service was a joint Canadian/ American commando unit trained for small unit tactics, mountain warfare, demolitions, etc. They were among the first 'special forces' whose lineage can be traced down to JTF2 and the US equivalents. Training for the unit took place outside of Helena, Montana and that is where this photo was noted as having been taken when I found it online. The FSSF soldiers were typically recruited from other branches of the services from fellows who were outdoorsy types; they may have been farmers, trappers, lumberjacks, etc. Hardy fellows each and every one, well known for night raids using knives to maintain stealth.

Born into our family tailoring and fur business, they transitioned into founding and operating a successful construction company in Winnipeg.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-31-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:02 PM

Too timeless to not put back up.

Lest We Forget.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-10-2016, 07:39 PM

They lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Default This is why I respect

My parents emigrated to Canada from India in 1970 and I was born and raised here. No one in my family has served. I don't know anyone who is currently serving. But I thank every single individual who has. If it were not for you, my children and i would not be able to enjoy the life we are living now. I am just one man, and you do not know me, but there are millions of us who are grateful for your courage. Never forget that.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:35 PM

I Served 20+ years in the Forces for Canada...be it for the hammerheads like Trudope, Nutley, his purpleness or for the type of Patriotic Canadians like the Real people on the Forum.
Bottom line, guys like me Served for You...and would do so again in a heart beat.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
I Served 20+ years in the Forces for Canada...be it for the hammerheads like Trudope, Nutley, his purpleness or for the type of Patriotic Canadians like the Real people on the Forum.
Bottom line, guys like me Served for You...and would do so again in a heart beat.
Its posts like this and guys like you that make me proud to be an Albertan and a Canadian. Thanks for your service and thanks for the service of all the people included on this thread. On Nov.11, you and your families are remembered and respected in this house.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:58 AM

Here is my grandfather on his way to pick a scrap with some Germans in Italy. On the way there his ship was torpedoed and he spent awhile floating around the Mediterranean until the USS Tillman picked him

Then went on to dodge death many times (he never spoke much of the war but I read his memoirs when he passed) he was eventually wounded when diving into a ditch to avoid incoming fire from a German aircraft and was run over by a jeep. He later woke up in Britain with a broken skull.

He to this day is my personal hero and taught me the lesson that service to your country is the greatest thing a man can do. Because of this I never wanted to do anything but be a soldier and enlisted at 18 spending 12 years in service. Having received my own injuries from duty I still believe that lesson fully and to this day regret nothing about my choice to join the military.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2016, 06:07 AM

I remember and am thankful all the time.
For those who gave, are giving and are about to give so we can enjoy our lives.
Can't say enough.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:21 AM

my dad served, my father in law served as did 2 of my moms brothers, they are all gone now but the memory of what they sacrificed is not, remembrance day runs deep in our family and attending the service is something that we never miss.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 AM

Bump , everyone on Remembrance Day should take a minute at 11 a.m. to remember what these men and women did for us.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 AM

My grandfather served with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WW1. He was wounded, by shrapnel from a German Whiz Bang, through his left thigh on March 12, 1918 at Hill 70 near Loos. Honorably discharged in March, 1919.

Battalion diary entry for the day my grandfather was wounded.

First picture is of my grandfather (seated) and his younger brother Harry who was a driver in the British Royal Artillery. The driver was the guy riding the lead horse pulling the artillery piece into battle. Both of them have wound stripes on the left forearm of their tunics.

Second photo is of their older brother, Arthur, who served as a trooper in the Guards, Machine Gun Regiment, British Army.

They had a third brother, Edward, who was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery.

They all came home.

My grandmother's younger brother served as a gunner with the British Royal Garrison Artillery and unfortunately he did not survive the war.

I will remember!

Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 AM

This is the best thread ever......

I don't attend formal ceremonies but quietly say thanks in my own way, as does my family.

My 6 year old granddaughter called me yesterday to tell me, how at her school assembly, they spoke about Remembrance Day; in her Scouts (Sparks) uniform, proudly worn.... brought a tear to my eye...

I find myself taking a moment(s) throughout the year, to say thanks.

WWI....my grandfather was a stretcher bearer and was wounded in action. The horror he witnessed and the conditions he withstood; and never spoke about it.

My great uncle was killed in action

WWII....my dad served

Prior to my grandmother's passing, she removed everyone's medals from her small town Legion and presented them to me.

Professionally mounted, I proudly display them. Every time I pass by, I give pause.....I love it when the grand kids ask me about them...

Thank you

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 11-09-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Old 11-09-2018, 03:00 PM

I remember to honor all of the men and women that have served our country throughout the years.

Lest we forget!

BW
Old 11-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Not sure why I pay respect every November 11th at 11th no matter where I'm at ,never grew up in a military family became a huge World War II history fan every time I watch something that just blows me away how people can do that to each other and and I will pay my respects this November 11th rest in peace.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:15 AM

We are truly blessed to have people willing to serve our great country yesterday, today and tomorrow....

Never a moment goes by that I am not thankful.....

Old 11-22-2020, 08:49 PM

Edmund De Wind: The war hero remembered in Comber and Canada - BBC News
Quote:
“De Wind was born in Comber on 11 December 1883 and attended Campbell College before working for the Bank of Ireland. He later emigrated to Canada and was working for the Canadian Bank of Commerce in Edmonton when the First World War broke out.“

Edmund De Wind's links to Canada are recognised on his memorial in Comber

He is also honoured in Canada, where there is a mountain named 'Mount de Wind' in Alberta.
...”

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54840215
Old 11-11-2021, 06:55 AM

Moving this back up.

At the going down of the sun…………..

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 11-11-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:17 AM

My Great Grandfather Alexander in WWI (at left). He had emigrated to Canada from Scotland as a young man. The source of the Scot in me.