Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 04:59 PM

Default Snaring fencelines?

How many of you snare coyotes on fence lines without the use of bait. Do you have good luck at it? Thanks, have a great weekend.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:43 PM

If the coyotes are continually coming thru the fence line for some reason then it can be very lucrative but can also be very slow going if not a continual travel path.
I also noticed they seemed to get wise to fence line snaring since it seemed like they played follow the leader under fences more so than when coming into a bush.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:25 PM

Too many deer in my neck of the woods. I’d be too paranoid to get a deer. Even if I could identify good paths I cannot guarantee they would not be used by both.
Tullfan
Old 12-20-2019, 06:27 PM

Find it easier in the trees or deep grass something for cover. Like running a drag to get them away from wire
Old 12-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Too many deer in my neck of the woods. I’d be too paranoid to get a deer. Even if I could identify good paths I cannot guarantee they would not be used by both.
Tullfan
Deer don’t generally go under the fence like a coyote does. It’s easy to tell the difference in trails. Deer ones stop before and start right after fence as they will jump it, the little ones may go Thru the middle wire but not right under like a coyote.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Deer don’t generally go under the fence like a coyote does. It’s easy to tell the difference in trails. Deer ones stop before and start right after fence as they will jump it, the little ones may go Thru the middle wire but not right under like a coyote.
I totally agree. However on this particular farm there are literally herds of deer. Some mornings I have to wait for them to cross in front of my truck so I can park. I watch them jump the fence, go through and go under. It is actually unreal. The landowner is having an issue with the deer. Too many deer, not enough allotted tags. The mule deer are on a draw. Unless it’s archery, then the does are open. Last time out for my white tail (Nov 17) I counted 13 mule deer bucks, 6 moose, 2 coyotes and 60 does. In a day. On one property. So for me, I’m a little jittery about the fences. If I’m lying, I’m dying.

Tullfan
Old 12-20-2019, 08:51 PM

If you can find the perfect set up it can be very profitable. I set 23 snares on a fence that went from the top of a draw down to the bottom and back up the other side. There was also pig farms with dead piles a mile or so at the ends of the draw. Came back the next morning to find 18 of the 23 snares held coyotes.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:35 PM

Default Snaring fence lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
If you can find the perfect set up it can be very profitable. I set 23 snares on a fence that went from the top of a draw down to the bottom and back up the other side. There was also pig farms with dead piles a mile or so at the ends of the draw. Came back the next morning to find 18 of the 23 snares held coyotes.
Wow, now that’s what you call some great production.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Banned

For sure. Fencelines, hedgerows, anywhere that coyotes are regularly crossing. If I see any spot like that I won’t hesitate throwing up a blind set. I don’t set right on a fence though, I look for crossings with some trees either side of the fence and set at least a foot away from it on their trail. I have half a dozen snares set on a hedgerow right now and numerous other spots to set when I have time. Go for it!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Banned

how do you guys set up so that the coyote doesn't go nuts in the snare and tear himself up on the barbed wire? i've caught a few along the fence and almost every one has managed to damage himself before expiring.......guess you could set up further from the fence, but by then, they've started to spread out again and most often you also run out of cover for the snare.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
how do you guys set up so that the coyote doesn't go nuts in the snare and tear himself up on the barbed wire? i've caught a few along the fence and almost every one has managed to damage himself before expiring.......guess you could set up further from the fence, but by then, they've started to spread out again and most often you also run out of cover for the snare.
Drags
Old 12-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
Sometimes I’ll use a stake away from the fence with a longer cable. And with power rams I don’t have much of a kill disturbance.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:30 AM

I have had fairly decent luck with a seneker system and setting on well worn paths with lots of grass to hide the snare. Long anchor wire and a good kill spring seems to keep the damage to a minimum.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Snaring fencelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I have had fairly decent luck with a seneker system and setting on well worn paths with lots of grass to hide the snare. Long anchor wire and a good kill spring seems to keep the damage to a minimum.
That’s pretty much what I been doing too. I have some Ram power snares that have worked good in the past, but those things scare me. One mistake and a guy could be looking for his teeth in the snow! Thanks for the tip guys. Good luck this season, and everybody have a great Christmas.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:33 PM
Banned

thanks guys....maybe i'll have to try a few sets to see how it goes
Old 01-03-2020, 08:53 AM

6 Foot snare length with kill spring and a 6 foot lead anchored low on the fence post, I haven't had more then 1 or 2 a year get tangled in the barbed wire and of them, not a single hole I had to sew, been setting on fence lines for 3 years now
Old 01-05-2020, 12:22 AM
AO Sponsor

GO SUPERMAGNUM

and with the best lock of course.

YIKES!!!!!
Old 01-05-2020, 12:23 AM
AO Sponsor

BTW... brand new lock coming very soon.