Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAbercrombie View Post
Trap line went for 160K
Must be some good trappin there...how many squirrels to net $160,000, and then you have to eat and buy equipment, income tax etc. One busy man here.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:04 AM

Nothings changed…when I bought my first line in the early 90's I had to get a letter from the CO's in the NWT stating I was actually a serious trapper. In the AB co's eyes I was just a Realtor looking to buy a cabin.

I wouldn't mind except that for all the lines sitting around un-used then and now. I am a huge supporter of the RFMA system and I believe if the intent of the rules were enforced by ESRD there would be plenty of lines or junior partnerships available at reasonable prices.

$160,000 for a trapline is crazy. I'm suspecting there will be at least "3 trappers" using that one.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Nothings changed…when I bought my first line in the early 90's I had to get a letter from the CO's in the NWT stating I was actually a serious trapper. In the AB co's eyes I was just a Realtor looking to buy a cabin.

I wouldn't mind except that for all the lines sitting around un-used then and now. I am a huge supporter of the RFMA system and I believe if the intent of the rules were enforced by ESRD there would be plenty of lines or junior partnerships available at reasonable prices.

$160,000 for a trapline is crazy. I'm suspecting there will be at least "3 trappers" using that one.
Wow! it must be some trapline to support 3 trappers. Wonder how much the main cabin will cost? Bet it has a nice view. Do agree that ESRD is pathetically hopeless, but it still remains traplines are for a favored few when the opportunity should be equally available for everyone. eg. hunting
Old 10-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post

Anyone know who bought it? Probably an outfitter
Old 10-05-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
Must be some good trappin there...how many squirrels to net $160,000, and then you have to eat and buy equipment, income tax etc. One busy man here.
You're forgetting one thing about these traplines when calculating your expenses RS. The line will never net 160k in a year or even 5 but it will over time. If the guy can net 10K a year while doing something he enjoys then sell the line in 20 years for 200-300K I would say that's not a bad deal.
I personally would not pay 160K for that Trapline but there are other lines I would. There are several lines in Wilmore that I would pay those kinds of prices, without batting an eye.
I have no idea what Brian paid for his line in Wilmore and I have no doubt it will remain in his family for a very very long time, but if he ever did decide to sell it the profit over the original purchase price would prob look like a pretty decent investment on paper.
Like it or not we live in a world where dollars and cents are what makes the world go around. If somebody wants it they will pay whatever it costs to have it.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Anyone know who bought it? Probably an outfitter
Why would you think that ???
Old 10-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Why would you think that ???
Why wouldn't I think that? Lots of outfitters own traplines.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Why wouldn't I think that? Lots of outfitters own traplines.
Yes they do. But why would you say that ? Why an outfitter over anybody else ?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Yes they do. But why would you say that ? Why an outfitter over anybody else ?
Lmao getting all bent out of shape over nothing.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Default Beavers wanted

Looking for some beaver and or muskrat carcasses for the winter trapline. Can pick up in Edmonton thanksgiving weekend!

Let me know.

Thanks

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Lmao getting all bent out of shape over nothing.
Not getting bent out of shape at all. Just wondering what you where implying that's all.
I'm also tired of people bitching about the things other people have worked hard to obtain, so I may have taken your statement the wrong way. But that's for another thread.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Not getting bent out of shape at all. Just wondering what you where implying that's all.
I'm also tired of people bitching about the things other people have worked hard to obtain, so I may have taken your statement the wrong way. But that's for another thread.
You must really have a complex of some sort there tork, I wasn't implying anything I wasn't bitching about anything, one time you told me it must be my time of the month, well i guess it must be yours now. Relax a bit and try to have yourself a good day.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:12 PM

Actually Moose I thought the same thing when u said it bud. Not sure why or what you meant by it as well. Being an outfitter has nothing to do with it. They can't use it for any clients.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:25 PM

Default Trapline

How much did the BC line go for at the auction. It would be interesting to see how prices compare between provinces.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're forgetting one thing about these traplines when calculating your expenses RS. The line will never net 160k in a year or even 5 but it will over time. If the guy can net 10K a year while doing something he enjoys then sell the line in 20 years for 200-300K I would say that's not a bad deal.
I personally would not pay 160K for that Trapline but there are other lines I would. There are several lines in Wilmore that I would pay those kinds of prices, without batting an eye.
I have no idea what Brian paid for his line in Wilmore and I have no doubt it will remain in his family for a very very long time, but if he ever did decide to sell it the profit over the original purchase price would prob look like a pretty decent investment on paper.
Like it or not we live in a world where dollars and cents are what makes the world go around. If somebody wants it they will pay whatever it costs to have it.
You are the exact type of person I'm talking about. You have money to buy a public resource for your own personal use and are allowed to do so because the government is so lax. As you say like it or not you have the money and could care less about the less fortunate even though they have as much right to the animals as you do.

Do you really think the line won't net $160,000 in a year? Very astute. Let's see your estimates to net $10,000 per year.

Explain why the government allows the selling and privatization of the right to own these lines when all you are supposed to get is compensation for improvements and equipment etc. My first post said it was a great investment, there is no argument there. I think most people in the province would like their own private piece of crown land to build a cabin on and hunt and trap from.

I will give you credit for being honest - I've never seen it so blatantly stated before.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 PM

Rabbit I see you are one jelous cat. Save some money and buy a line. It doesn't have to cost much to own one you know and there are a lot for sale if you keep your eyes open. If you can afford to buy a new truck you can afford to buy a line. Difference is a line will actually make you a few dollars if it is decent enough. It's like anything in life bud, you want it go work for it.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:46 PM

@ rabbit. Just so u know there are some of us on here that do buy traplines to trap and don't buy them just for rec purposes only. Yes there are some that abuse the system but those type are everywhere, not just in the trapping world.
With some sweat and labour and decent fur prices, netting 10 g can be done no problem.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
You are the exact type of person I'm talking about. You have money to buy a public resource for your own personal use and are allowed to do so because the government is so lax. As you say like it or not you have the money and could care less about the less fortunate even though they have as much right to the animals as you do.

Do you really think the line won't net $160,000 in a year? Very astute. Let's see your estimates to net $10,000 per year.

Explain why the government allows the selling and privatization of the right to own these lines when all you are supposed to get is compensation for improvements and equipment etc. My first post said it was a great investment, there is no argument there. I think most people in the province would like their own private piece of crown land to build a cabin on and hunt and trap from.

I will give you credit for being honest - I've never seen it so blatantly stated before.
Honesty is kinda my thing, like it or not you're going to hear how it is whether you like it or not.
Everything in the world today is for sale. The government allows these sales to happen because it has no choice. I agree that all Traplines should be used and not just so people can have a cabin, no doubt some are being used like this and that's wrong but very hard to prevent. If the government tried to limit the sale price people will just find a way around it. (EI. Sell the Trapline for $2500 then sell you my hat for $100,000) People will pay whatever they feel the line is worth and people will sell for the highest dollar amount they can.
When I left home at 18 and moved halfway across the country my father told me I could have anything I wanted in life, I just had to work for it. He said I could do as much or as little as I wanted but he never wanted to hear me complain about what somebody else has. He gave me $300 that day and I said goodbye. That was the last dollar I was ever given, every other penny I received I worked for, and I've worked Facken hard for it.
I donate time, money and I'm the first one to help out anybody that needs it. Every year I take kids out hunting or trapping and expose them to a world they wouldn't otherwise get to experience. So you can take your "could care less about the less fortunate" and shove it.
If you spent less time bitching and whining about what other people have and more time working towards what you want you would be way further ahead.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
@ rabbit. Just so u know there are some of us on here that do buy traplines to trap and don't buy them just for rec purposes only. Yes there are some that abuse the system but those type are everywhere, not just in the trapping world.
With some sweat and labour and decent fur prices, netting 10 g can be done no problem.
Its not that hard to net 10 g's on a decent line I do it most years
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=nube;2570368]Rabbit I see you are one jelous cat. Save some money and buy a line. It doesn't have to cost much to own one you know and there are a lot for sale if you keep your eyes open. If you can afford to buy a new truck you can afford to buy a line. Difference is a line will actually make you a few dollars if it is decent enough. It's like anything in life bud, you want it go work for it.[/QUOTE

You are absolutely totally and completely full of it right up to your ears. I have stated at least three times I could have had several lines over the years and as well could have a partnership tomorrow if I wanted one. I don't want a registered line, understand!. I would very much like you to answer the questions about fairness and sharing a recreational resource and stop avoiding the genuine issues I am bringing forward. You are not entitled just because you have money and a government which will not execute it's responsibility.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Fairness? Nobody is stopping anyone from enjoying the recreational spots. Owning a trapline does not stop others from using that same bush! It only prevents them from trapping! Yes there are abused lines! But most people on this forum are actual trappers. You complaining to the wrong people here!

I learned as a young lad that life is not fair! If you sit back and wait for your fair share then you will be left behind! Take control of your own destiny.

Where is this unfair? You have the money submit your app for a
Trapline! Everyone has that right

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Honesty is kinda my thing, like it or not you're going to hear how it is whether you like it or not.
Everything in the world today is for sale. The government allows these sales to happen because it has no choice. I agree that all Traplines should be used and not just so people can have a cabin, no doubt some are being used like this and that's wrong but very hard to prevent. If the government tried to limit the sale price people will just find a way around it. (EI. Sell the Trapline for $2500 then sell you my hat for $100,000) People will pay whatever they feel the line is worth and people will sell for the highest dollar amount they can.
When I left home at 18 and moved halfway across the country my father told me I could have anything I wanted in life, I just had to work for it. He said I could do as much or as little as I wanted but he never wanted to hear me complain about what somebody else has. He gave me $300 that day and I said goodbye. That was the last dollar I was ever given, every other penny I received I worked for, and I've worked Facken hard for it.
I donate time, money and I'm the first one to help out anybody that needs it. Every year I take kids out hunting or trapping and expose them to a world they wouldn't otherwise get to experience. So you can take your "could care less about the less fortunate" and shove it.
If you spent less time bitching and whining about what other people have and more time working towards what you want you would be way further ahead.
You and others missed my entire point. Trapping is a recreational pursuit and should be available to everyone not just a select few who take advantage of an unfair situation. It's no different than hunting and fishing. Obviously you are quite impressed with yourself and thats fine with me, but you are not a good judge of character if you think I'm just "bitching and whining". I am commenting on what I believe which is fairness and the right for everyone to trap crown land which they own just as much as you do. And for the fourth time I do not want a trapline!! Period!! Instead of stroking yourself please respond to my comments, I'd like to hear an honest rebuttal.
I would be interested in hearing from others on registered lines who net 10 K a year. If it's not too personal just a brief overview of type and number of animals plus price and rough costs. Years ago we made money on coyotes and lynx for a time but over the long haul it was at best a moderate supplement. This was on both private property and registered lines.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Already gave you an honest rebuttal but your too stuck on attacking tork

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Already gave you an honest rebuttal but your too stuck on attacking tork
Dream on, you offered no rebuttal what so ever, just regurgitated the status quo which is the problem. Equal opportunity means trapping is treated the same as hunting and fishing as it is in the US...it's not complicated.

I'm not attacking anyone, just would like to hear an honest debate on the issues. Tork worked very hard according to himself and would pay 160,000 thousand in a heartbeat for a trapline so I'm looking forward to hearing his rationale. I doubt very much he is representative of the average Albertan but he should be able to justify the present system since he believes so strongly in it. Hense my statement about him being the poster boy for registered trapping.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:37 PM

Dream on yourself!! That's is the only rebuttal required as that is what the law states! Go cry no fair to your mla if you don't
Like it! As far as these outrageous prices of lines and the lines that don't get trapped, again go complain to your mla! Bitching and crying here will accomplish nothing

You have been given honest rebuttals , however you seem to stuck on "it's not fair!! Sure is fair. Anyone can trap, either buy a line, become a jr, or become a resident trapper. Nowhere does it state that fur bearing animals are in the same class as fish and game!

And the us system is a joke! Guys stealing each other's gear, setting on top of each other, or sabatogging others gear!! Sounds like a great system!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Dream on yourself!! That's is the only rebuttal required as that is what the law states! Go cry no fair to your mla if you don't
Like it! As far as these outrageous prices of lines and the lines that don't get trapped, again go complain to your mla! Bitching and crying here will accomplish nothing

You have been given honest rebuttals , however you seem to stuck on "it's not fair!! Sure is fair. Anyone can trap, either buy a line, become a jr, or become a resident trapper. Nowhere does it state that fur bearing animals are in the same class as fish and game!

And the us system is a joke! Guys stealing each other's gear, setting on top of each other, or sabatogging others gear!! Sounds like a great system!
The US system does have it's warts, just as the Alberta system does, but all things considered it's much more equitable and fair to everyone than ours. Any open minded person can see the comparison between furbearers, fish, and big game, as all being owned by all citizens of the province and therefore should be equally available to all. Netting in Alberta would never change either.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 PM

I disagree! If every tom dick and Harry went out marten and fished trapping there would be none. The REgistered lines are also a means of population control and over harvest control! Lynx would be rare! I too also dis agree with the rediculous prices of some trap lines and feel srd should regulate somehow! But I feel the registered line system is good! I don't own a line, I jr on a line.

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely totally and completely full of it right up to your ears. I have stated at least three times I could have had several lines over the years and as well could have a partnership tomorrow if I wanted one. I don't want a registered line, understand!. I would very much like you to answer the questions about fairness and sharing a recreational resource and stop avoiding the genuine issues I am bringing forward. You are not entitled just because you have money and a government which will not execute it's responsibility.
So what you are saying is you would like every Tom, Dick, or Shirley to be able to go out and set a multitude of traps where ever and when ever they want with no controls on it. You sound like the guy who wants to trap when you feel the urge, and have no responsibility of owning and managing a trap line. There is such as thing as a residents license for trapping on private land, may I suggest you do that and leave the trapping to those who would take the time to manage the line and resource.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 PM

There's enough lines changing hands when you get further from the cities. Lots (not all) of people that complain about the line prices have a pretty defined idea of where THEY want to trap. That demand drives the price up. Ironic hey?

I grew up in Northern Alberta and never knew anyone that wanted to trap that wasn't able to get into it, either by owning a line or jr on a line or just helping out. Maybe a line wasn't available near the homestead, but they are available. I was one who kept passing on getting my own line 'cause I was always looking for the closest to home, or the nicest location. When I got serious it didn't take long to get a line for a reasonable dollar, I just had to be willing to trap it...which meant commit to the season. Many lines up here are owned by First Nations, either individually or as a nation, yet people still start up and find lines every year.

On to the 10 000 buck challenge. No one is going to post up their receipts for your amusement, but out of the trapping regs and last sale average here you go:

4 twp Northern AB line

Quota

4 otter @ 60 = 240
22Lynx @ 100 = 2200
18 fisher @ 80 = 1440
1 wolverine @ 500 = 500 private sale

so if you max the quota $4300. probably would be more reasonable to cut 1/3 off that.

Also throw in
50 Marten @ 55 = 2750(I usually see above $80ea from my line due to size and colour etc)
10 coyotes @ 60 = 600 I know the last auction sucked, but I sell at the spring one usually and have been luckier so far
5 wolf @ 100 = 100(plus) got lots of these around if you want to do more
4 fox @ 50 = 200

So we're around 7000 and that's on the low side. With good fur handling and at the right sale your already at 10 000. If not break out the hard work and make it up with beaver and muskrat.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:50 PM

Wabbit - To be clear a resident trappers license is a recreational opportunity. However a RFMA is a commercial opportunity. There is a big difference. I net money trapping most years.

I love the RFMA system and when I bought my first trapline in meant I had to go home and tell my family our next few years of winter vacations were cancelled. We all sacrificed to continue living a lifestyle we loved.

The average RFMA owner would laugh to hear themsleves described as an elite.
Closed Thread