Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 PM

Default Trap Line Cabin Rules

Question came up about using a cabin by persons for reasons other then trapping!!
I know Ive read somewhere about this issue, but old age and poor eyesight has got me again! Can anyone lead me to the info on line please......
not hearsay ...... just the black and white regs..
Thnx fellow fur collectors an computer whizzes
Singleshotom
Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
guidehunt

Default trapline

trapline cabins are for trapping only ,are not to be used for hunting ,
Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 PM

In what regulations does this appear??
And what section of that regulation.
Ive found some info in the 1983 Alberta forestry regs. but they have been superseded 8 times and are void of any mention.
Thnx
Singleshotom
Old 09-11-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidehunt View Post
trapline cabins are for trapping only ,are not to be used for hunting ,

Who inforces that rule?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
guidehunt

Default cabins

was in office f&w other day and trapper was there asking about people hunting out of trapping line cabins and was told it is only for his use for trapping not forothers to hunt of as far as i know f&w inforce the law
Old 09-11-2008, 04:49 PM

So, what do they do if Trapper Joe's buddies are spending the weekend there? Summary execution?
Grizz
Old 09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, what do they do if Trapper Joe's buddies are spending the weekend there? Summary execution?
Grizz
Don't forget, only the trapping rights are held by the holder, he does not own the land, just the right to trap it. With that right comes rules that have to be followed, including cabin size etc.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM

I guess I was being a little flippant there, but there seem to be a number of cabins that some people regard as weeekend cabins, doing no or a minimum of trapping, as well as trap lines, with more than one cabin. I know of one trapper, who has used his, for years, as a permanent residence.
Griz
Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Well Ive asked people in the Forestry Dept. to show me where it appears in their rules and they couldn't show any documents that are applicable or current.
Ive asked Fish and Wildlife to show me a copy of any Law, regulation, rule and they apparently don't have any thing that is current or applicable.
Now Ive read every thing available in the Trappers regs and cant find even a mention of it...
There is a lot of "someone said, I know a guy who, my friend knows, a f/w officer said"... But where is it in writing and current not anyone can make up a rule....
Ive just searched two of the provincial Gov. archived policy papers library's and came up with ZERO applicable.. So I'm kinda puzzled...
Someone must know where to find this in writing.
Not hear say.
Singleshotom
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

You are right there sst. that's the whole gist of all the BS surrounding trappers and their cabins. Someone this and someone that. Just like the 100 mpg carburetor. You'd think the sky was falling just cuz some one hunted out of a cabin. Pls someone get a life...
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM

My understanding is that it is Policy not law. In the end, there isn't much that can be done about it. It is a policy based on abuses in the past.
there is many in the Government and Industry who would dearly like to see Registered TrapLines a thing of the past becuase of recreationalists who use their traplines as their own playgrounds.
You will see a severe tightening of the rules very soon that will be requiring much more diligence and accountability by registered trappers.
Minimum catches, useage etc.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 AM

A trappers cabin being built along Lost Creek the summer of 2005. SR was not happy about the size but it is still there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7250001.JPG (123.0 KB, 1149 views)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM
guidehunt

Default cabins

i was on phone for a few hours yesterday trying to get this info and was told to talk to lands dept in gov .am off elk hunting for next month good luck getting this in writing anywhere ?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Cabin sizes are not regulated but rather are an unenforced policy, as already mentioned. However this and the use of cabins for non-trapping activities is going to change. Keep an eye on the DAO process that the ATA is going through. We as trappers need to respect the policy so that we do not lose the rights to our cabins. They are an important resource for an active trapper.

In regards to enforcement it is the job of our CO's to do so, but there must be the political will and more importantly the budget to do so.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
guidehunt

Default cabins

got message last week the rules are under lands dept gov of alberta
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Last week I was South of GP and ran into a cabin that was obvioulsy not a trappers cabin but either bordered or was on a trapline {Brian would probably know who's, it is in the Gold Creek area}. A call to the forestry was useless as they didn't care, the question I ask, can I just go build my own hunting oasis in the middle of no where because no one will do anything about it or is there another number to call other then forestry?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:44 PM

Default Cabin

I am under the impression that anyone can build a cabin as long as it doesn't have a permanent roof. The ones I have come across, apart from trappers cabin, are just a floor, walls, and rafters. The users throw a tarp over the top when they get there. Anyone else heard of this before.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM

Mooseslayer,

You are incorrect. No permanent structure may be constructed on crown land without authorization (simply not placing a "permanent roof" does not exempt it). Even those tent frames are considered permanent structures (the ones with 3 or 4 foot plywood walls and a plywood floor). There seems to be no consistency with enforcement. Some Forest Officers routinely post such structures and destroy (usually burn) them, other can barely get motivated to leave their offices.

There are many illegal cabins out there. Sooner or later the Lands division of Sustainable Resource Developmant will get somebody with some gumption to tackle this issue.

OR perhaps they will leave it in the hands of the Trappers DOA!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Hi all.

I realize this is an old thread but I am hoping to clear up the issue a bit.

Although I may be putting a target on my back by posting this, I am a forest officer with the lands division and part of my job is the management of cabins on public land both authorized and unauthorized.

It is true that the current cabin regulations for trappers are weak. The 1994 guidelines are the most current and are enforcable. New regulations have been in the works for a number of years and should be put in place by the fall of 2010. These regulations have been drafted through consultation with Fish and Wildlife and the ATA.

Unauthorized cabins or structures(including outhouses and tent frames) are governed under the public lands act. All unauthorized structures are usually posted and removed (burned.) However, given budget restrictions, we just cant find them all. If you happen to find an unauthorized cabin on your trapline, please report it to your lands officer. We appriciate the help!

It has been my personal experiance that the local trappers are fantastic folks to work with. They know the land and have valuable historical knowledge. I've asked trappers for help as guides into remote areas and worked with them to stop abuse of the land by disrespectful people. I believe trappers are gaining a bad reputation because a few treat their traplines like weekend getaways. Hopefully, the new guidelines will help change that. Kuddos to you real trappers who are keeping the traditions alive!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJane View Post
Kuddos to you real trappers who are keeping the traditions alive!
Amen to that!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

Default Mll

I had a good discussion with SRD on the new rules. Trappers will now get an M.L.L. instead of an M.L.P. which gives trappers occupancy. These M.L.L.'s will be tied to the trapline so if the trapline is transferred they are not seperate but go with the line.

As far as I could determine all existing structures will be grandfathered into the new system should they not comply with the new rules. (rules not policy)
Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM

OK Ranger Jane, since we have you on line, I'm going to change the subject a little While we're arguing the fine points of Trapping cabin use, please explain, how can outfitters set up permanent back country camps, on public land, like the one on the Panther River, ignore Forestry regulations, including illegally taken a cat into a Fluz, which involved numerous river crossings, building a heli-port, making wagon access to the site, while us peons are restricted to two weeks stays and a bunch of other rules ? Seems to me, your department is willfully blind.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 08-13-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Now this is a question that probably will never be answered, but I would love to here the response.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
OK Ranger Jane, since we have you on line, I'm going to change the subject a little While we're arguing the fine points of Trapping cabin use, please explain, how can outfitters set up permanent back country camps, on public land, like the one on the Panther River, ignore Forestry regulations, including illegally taken a cat into a Fluz, which involved numerous river crossings, building a heli-port, making wagon access to the site, while us peons are restricted to two weeks stays and a bunch of other rules ? Seems to me, your department is willfully blind.

Grizz
Excellent questions grizz

Or how hundreds of yards of barbwire can be permanently strung across drainages in the wilmore to keep outfitters hobbled horses from getting to far away from camp.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 PM

not sure but great questions. would it be possible they hold a lease or bought the lease for say 20 yrs an say usin cat for clearing some land an yadadada. could those camps then be put on skids as non permanent structures for the durstion of work commencing?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 AM

Default cabin burning

There was an illegal cabin on Heberphenic Lake up north for a long time (20 years about) and this past year Lands finally got rid of it.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Default Old Thread

Wow this is an old thread. I sure want people to realize that just because there is a cabin in the bush it may not be an actual trapppers cabin. Red Earth SRD were on a burning campaign this year, after notification, of many illegal cabins built strictly for fishing and hunting, not trapping.

I see reference to a "DAO" from Brian Bildson that is three years old. What is this "DAO"?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

Pls, let's not get started on this again......
But if you want to find out , maybe do a search on it and if you should be able to figure it out... let others know..
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 PM

DOA means dead on arrival...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Don't forget, only the trapping rights are held by the holder, he does not own the land, just the right to trap it. With that right comes rules that have to be followed, including cabin size etc.
there are currently no rules or laws regarding cabin size i just got off the phone with lands they said they may be coming but as of yet there are none