Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 12:27 AM

Default Drive to lodge Alberta/Sask

Group of us at work have been going to Winefred Lake Lodge for past 5 years but looking to change things up and looking for a new spot as value has gone down since newest owners took over.
We are looking for something within 8-12 hour drive from Calgary (Pike/Walleye/Lake Trout). We don't want full service, just a cabin with boats/fuel and ability to cook our own meals. Would like to be able to cook some of our catch (especially Walleye) so Saskatchewan is attractive. Any suggestions? Would prefer smaller, out of the way lodges as opposed to big commercial operations.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:31 AM

There's lots of them in Northern Saskatchewan Northern Manitoba I'd recommend contacting tourism Saskatchewan and get a book of all the Outfitters and Fishing lodges

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Bessnard lake...Colin's camps...

Jan lake...jan lake lodge....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-25-2019, 11:45 AM

Bakers Narrows Lodge, Lake Athapapuskow, Flin Flon, MB.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:39 PM

Nordic Lodge on Reindeer Lake and Forrest Lake Outfitters would be #1 and 2 on my list. Nordic Lodge has some 10 cabins, depending on the size of your group, and how early you book (we've already booked for next year; end of June). Forrest Lake has their own outpost camp that can handle up to 8 people. The drive to both is similar, about 14 hours from Edmonton, the last 200 km are gravel, and can take from 3-5 hours to travel depending on condition.

Vic
Old 08-26-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushlover View Post
Group of us at work have been going to Winefred Lake Lodge for past 5 years but looking to change things up and looking for a new spot as value has gone down since newest owners took over.
We are looking for something within 8-12 hour drive from Calgary (Pike/Walleye/Lake Trout). We don't want full service, just a cabin with boats/fuel and ability to cook our own meals. Would like to be able to cook some of our catch (especially Walleye) so Saskatchewan is attractive. Any suggestions? Would prefer smaller, out of the way lodges as opposed to big commercial operations.
Tobin Lake, SK is within 12 of Calgary (should work out to around 9 to 9.5 hr's from Calgary) I've rented cabins there a few times.

There are privately owned cabins for rent as well as two resorts with cabins. No lake trout that I know of in Tobin but there are some really nice walleye (ie: double digits if you get lucky) and some real big pike. My bro caught a 25+ lb pike on a walleye rig (ie: no metal leader) and we actually put him in the net and recovered the hook before putting him back in the water.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 AM

Just go to keeley or waterhen both are much closer than most of these suggestions, only 7 hours from Calgary
Old 08-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Just go to keeley or waterhen both are much closer than most of these suggestions, only 7 hours from Calgary
Who cares about distance if you have the time and the $$$. Catch many 10+ lb walley in Waterhen or Keeley? You can, and do, at Tobin. My best friend's daughter pulled in a 12 lb walleye in Tobin, and he caught and 11 lb'er that day. We've both caught 10's there and numerous in the 8 lb range. It's a lot of fun pulling those bigger ones up!

If they're biting, it'd be well worth the extra 2 to 2.5 hr's to me!

This from Angler's Atlas:

"Members of iFish Saskatchewan report that Keeley Lake was very productive in 2015 and into the winter of 2016. Some of the best fishing is for walleye, which can get as large as 3 pounds."

I can catch 3 lb walleye all day long 30 min's from home................

***William Henley***
Old 08-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Yes unfortunately this is going to be the case from people living in Alberta, having to drive 10 to 12 hours to get into better fishing but I'd be getting on it because in 5-10 years those places are going to be fished out of trophy fish everybody travelling from Alberta and Saskatchewan to pound them there's lots of great fly out lakes and there's lots of great drive to in those provinces I drove 12 hours this winter to Target a big lake trout can't say the fishing was great but it didn't see hardly any people and I caught my goal

Old 08-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Anyone interested in going to Baker's Narrows Lodge or Clearwater Lake this winter for a week we have a group booked already looking for more guys in March

Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 PM

Dont believe everything you read, lots of quality fish in waterhen and keeley, I'm sure quite a few forum members can attest to that. The OP wants to keep fish as well as he mentioned so not sure or not if he's overly concerned about trophy fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Who cares about distance if you have the time and the $$$. Catch many 10+ lb walley in Waterhen or Keeley? You can, and do, at Tobin. My best friend's daughter pulled in a 12 lb walleye in Tobin, and he caught and 11 lb'er that day. We've both caught 10's there and numerous in the 8 lb range. It's a lot of fun pulling those bigger ones up!

If they're biting, it'd be well worth the extra 2 to 2.5 hr's to me!

This from Angler's Atlas:

"Members of iFish Saskatchewan report that Keeley Lake was very productive in 2015 and into the winter of 2016. Some of the best fishing is for walleye, which can get as large as 3 pounds."

I can catch 3 lb walleye all day long 30 min's from home................
Old 08-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Dont believe everything you read, lots of quality fish in waterhen and keeley, I'm sure quite a few forum members can attest to that. The OP wants to keep fish as well as he mentioned so not sure or not if he's overly concerned about trophy fish.
I'm from SK and spent a lot of years fishing (ie: decades) all over the province. I know a lot of good lakes where you can land some really nice walleye if you get lucky. Most of them would be 8 to 12 hours from Calgary so I recommended Tobin because for the 9 to 9.5 hours drive, you can catch a buttload of edible walleye AND have the chance to catch some really memorable fish.

If the OP wants to compete with other Albertan's for average size walleye then yes, by all means, he should hit the Meadow Lake region. But if he has the time and money and is willing to drive 2 hours further than Keeley/Waterhen, he may just catch a few fish he'll remember for the rest of his life!

I'm just saying................

***William Henley***
Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 AM

Check out Whiteswan lake Sk. There is Lakers and a ton of great lakes within a 45 minute drive.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:05 AM

We spent 3 days at Kamkota Lodge at Pinehouse lake. Lake is huge and a bit intimidating in regards to size and bad weather issues. While we were there, it was fine and there is a lot of sheltered areas to take refuge in if needed. We didn't need. Kerry and Kamillia are quite nice people and the cabins are fine. Boats are adequate, good fish cleaning area. The road up there is gravel but fairly well taken care of. They also have plenty of help around to get things figured out for you.