Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-25-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So why aren’t other cartridges “marketed”? If it’s just a simple matter of cranking out more ammunition you think others would follow suit.
Remember the hoopla involving the Short Mags, Ultra Mags and the SAUM cartridges? I’m sure there are more ....
Cat
Old 11-25-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Remember the hoopla involving the Short Mags, Ultra Mags and the SAUM cartridges? I’m sure there are more ....
Cat
The CM is ten years old and losing no steam. The short mags fizzled a lot quicker than that.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-25-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I shoot 130 ELD-M’s at just over 2900fps in my CM. 1/2 MOA is a pretty fair assessment with that load. 3/4” groups at 200 yds can be expected and 1 MOA at 800 yds is more than doable. I would certainly give that bullet a try.
Thanks ... will try some. Have you tried the “x” (hunting) version?
Old 11-25-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Thanks ... will try some. Have you tried the “x” (hunting) version?
I haven’t, no.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-25-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Isn’t that the truth! My procrastination over a 6.5 X 284 build when they were hot now seems like it was a good decision...although I still think it is a good cartridge but with the value of hindsight, I would likely now go with a straight 284.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The CM is ten years old and losing no steam. The short mags fizzled a lot quicker than that.
Don’t get me wrong, I never thought that all the big Advertizing ideas are instant wins - look what happened to the 243 Winchester VS the the 244 Remington.
By the time they caught on and twist the twist and the name it was too late!
Cat

Last edited by sns2; 11-26-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:35 PM

I think the marketing thing is doing ok.

A person can Google "The top 7 or 10 favorite cartrages to see what's out there,,, the 6.5's are in the list.

Even the trusty 30/30 makes it onto some of the lists.

UFA handles ammo for them as well.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Hard to believe ....6.5CM was the flavour of the month for a time. Then...I'm not sure what happened.

Kind of like how Nickelback wound up being the most hated band in rock & roll.

Me personally, I shoot 6.5x47 Lapua. Hopefully I won't lose the respect of my friends who shoot the CM.
I think that a benefit of the CM over the 6.5x47 for someone just getting into one of these calibers is the 6.5X47 and the CM are pretty much the same ballistic wise but if you are shooting the Lapua you are likely hand loading. Factory ammo for the LAPUA is insanely expensive and very limited vs the CM and in North America you are not going to buy a factory rifle off the shelf in 6.5x47. Its been said probably a million times now over the years but on paper you will likely see little difference but if hand loading take your pick but if not hand loading and using factory ammo the CM wins hands down.

Last edited by AI 6.5; 11-26-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:41 AM

I built a 6.5 -06 for target shooting,its shot out.I shoot 2 creedmoor's now because of better barrel life in a browning target and a vanguard for hunting deer.I use 139gr scenars in the target and 129 gr. LRAB's in the vanguard.I tried the 143 eld-x in both,I liked them but I have lots of the noslers so I will stick to them(they work great on deer) and the scenars are about $10 cheaper than the hornadies so I will keep using them.I did shoot a 260 rem for awhile in a tikka t3x lite.it was a great little deer rifle,it did have more recoil than the vanguard but it was also lighter.Limbsavers are a great pad and well worth the money.The 6mm Creedmoor is sparking some interest,they should shoot the 115 gr. with the 1-8 twist,that will be the next fight with the 243 win.
I am hearing a little about the 7mm Creedmoor also.7 CM verses 7-08 coming also.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 AM

The Creedmoor is without a doubt, the best example of how marketing can make a cartridge successful.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Creedmoor is without a doubt, the best example of how marketing can make a cartridge successful.
Maybe you are right, however it does have a lot of good qualities too. Anyone who would argue it does not...well...
Old 11-26-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Oh BS. If marketing success was that easy everyone would do it. With a multitude of products.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
I think that a benefit of the CM over the 6.5x47 for someone just getting into one of these calibers is the 6.5X47 and the CM are pretty much the same ballistic wise but if you are shooting the Lapua you are likely hand loading. Factory ammo for the LAPUA is insanely expensive and very limited vs the CM and in North America you are not going to buy a factory rifle off the shelf in 6.5x47. Its been said probably a million times now over the years but on paper you will likely see little difference but if hand loading take your pick but if not hand loading and using factory ammo the CM wins hands down.
As a handloader the CM has multiple benefits over the x47.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Of course it is. If throw enough money at guns and ammo magazine and the writers will praise the merits of it even if it's a turd. Forums and threads much like this one sure helps the marketing as well.

Example is Ford and car and driver magazine. Best selling truck year after year but seems to me there's just as many chevs or more on the roads I travel.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Of course it is. If throw enough money at guns and ammo magazine and the writers will praise the merits of it even if it's a turd. Forums and threads much like this one sure helps the marketing as well.

Example is Ford and car and driver magazine. Best selling truck year after year but seems to me there's just as many chevs or more on the roads I travel.
This isn’t the best selling truck of the year. And again, if it’s that simple why isn’t everyone doing it?

I’ll tell you what. Let’s try this. What are some of it’s flaws? Let’s start with that list.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
This isn’t the best selling truck of the year. And again, if it’s that simple why isn’t everyone doing it?
Are you the best at your job or is there someone better out there. Same thing as the marketing guys. Get the right guy running your campaign and you're golden.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Are you the best at your job or is there someone better out there. Same thing as the marketing guys. Get the right guy running your campaign and you're golden.
That guy must be in high demand.

So the list of flaws. Where are we at with this one?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I’ll tell you what. Let’s try this. What are some of it’s flaws? Let’s start with that list.
Theres no flaws. Its just a preference for what a person chooses to shoot. Some peoples favorite color is blue, some people prefer yellow. No one argues for months on end about why their favorite color is the best though, but guarantee it, as soon as a creedmoor thread gets locked, a new one opens within the day pounding out the charts.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Theres no flaws. Its just a preference for what a person chooses to shoot. Some peoples favorite color is blue, some people prefer yellow. No one argues for months on end about why their favorite color is the best though, but guarantee it, as soon as a creedmoor thread gets locked, a new one opens within the day pounding out the charts.
So there are no flaws. And it’s all marketing. Gotcha. A ten year flash in the pan. Laughing.

Maybe they hired the guy in charge of marketing black.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 11-26-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
So there are no flaws. And it’s all marketing. Gotcha. A ten year flash in the pan. Laughing.

We ought to hire the guy in charge of marketing black.
Any shade of brown is consistently more appealing than black.

As for 6.5CM I dont think its all just based on marketing. Marketing just gets the idea spread to more people than some other idea does. It's still peoples choice to blindly jump on a bandwagon for whatever reason, or do research to accept or decline based on their needs, or some people decline because they are completely happy with what they already know.

If i was interested in a lower recoil cartridge, 6.5creedmoor may very well hit the mark, but personally im completely satisfied with what i have and the amount of recoil has never been an issue for me.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:

There are many rifles chambered in the cartridge, and several loads available, which certainly help, hut the biggest draw is exposure. No matter what firearms magazine or site you visit, you hear about the the cartridge. Thousands of people that know virtually nothing about ballistics want the cartridge, simply because it has become so popular. That in no way lessens the attributes of the cartridge, but by the same token, much of the popularity of the cartridge is not based on any ballistic advantage over cartridges like the 260rem, or the 6.5x47. Many owners don't even reload, let alone develop precision handloads, and many are the shooters that only shoot two or three boxes of loads per year. In short, being popular, is the biggest reason for it becoming more popular.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-26-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Any shade of brown is consistently more appealing than black.

As for 6.5CM I dont think its all just based on marketing. Marketing just gets the idea spread to more people than some other idea does. It's still peoples choice to blindly jump on a bandwagon for whatever reason, or do research to accept or decline based on their needs, or some people decline because they are completely happy with what they already know.

If i was interested in a lower recoil cartridge, 6.5creedmoor may very well hit the mark, but personally im completely satisfied with what i have and the amount of recoil has never been an issue for me.
That’s fine. So let the guys that like them talk about them. I’m also not sure why you think I’m blindly jumping on a bandwagon. I don’t need rescuing, but thanks for the concern.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
There are many rifles chambered in the cartridge, and several loads available, which certainly help, hut the biggest draw is exposure. No matter what firearms magazine or site you visit, you hear about the the cartridge. Thousands of people that know virtually nothing about ballistics want the cartridge, simply because it has become so popular. That in no way lessens the attributes of the cartridge, but by the same token, much of the popularity of the cartridge is not based on any ballistic advantage over cartridges like the 260rem, or the 6.5x47. Many owners don't even reload, let alone develop precision handloads, and many are the shooters that only shoot two or three boxes of loads per year. In short, being popular, is the biggest reason for it becoming more popular.
The downside? What is a good list of downsides? Can we get that rolling and get this resolved once and for all.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
I tend to agree. I chose the x47 over the CM because it's a bit more efficient case than the CM. And at the time I did my build, the CM was just in its infancy with very little brass or even factory loaded ammo available. I didn't know that it would become what it has today.

I've also tried the factory Lapua x47 ammo. (I needed some brass because my order which had not yet arrived.) I found it very accurate. I improved it for my rifle with a longer seating depth than the factory offering once I rolled my own. Another thing about the x47 round is a bit of a lack (at that time) of load information. But then, the CM had the same issue at that time.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:48 AM

this marketing stuff is b.s. the creedmoor was around as a target darling for a couple years gathering its own steam before creed hysteria kicked in unlike the 300 wsm which had huge marketing before anyone ever saw one and look what happened to it. the question is merit in the end. by the way i think the creed has less merit than the 308 within 350 metre range it doesnt even shoot any flatter although recoil reduction is important
Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
The downside? What is a good list of downsides? Can we get that rolling and get this resolved once and for all.
Where did I mention downside in my post?
Old 11-26-2018, 08:52 AM

As a Hunting cartridge, it can't handle a 160 gr RN
Old 11-26-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Where did I mention downside in my post?
So you don’t have any either. Can someone please get me a list? The hate is there, there has to be a reason for it.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post

As a Hunting cartridge, it can't handle a 160 gr RN
Laughing.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
So you don’t have any either. Can someone please get me a list? The hate is there, there has to be a reason for it.
There aren’t any viable complaints, just like the miriad of other cartridges that are pretty much peas in the same pod.

Like whatchya like, and move on........

This beating on the pulpit, horse pookie is what gets me, the fan club members come off worse than tv evangelists....

It’s like any viemiently brand loyal fanatics that are out there, trucks, guns, clothes, etc.

There are no absolutes